Sign in to follow this  
David and Laura

Wedding Dress Alterations -- Cost

My bridal shop wanted to charge me almost $400.00 to alter my dress, just shorten it and bustle it. My seamstress who I have been going to for years did my dress, my daughters, E pant's, and Timothy's pant's for $130.00. I also had her take my crinolin out and make it into a slip. It paid off using someone who saw me as a valued customer, she did it for hardly anything because of our longstanding relationship. Take it to your tailor and get your quote it will save you money in the end.

definately sounds a little pricy......Mine will be a flat rate of $350 and ALOT has to be done to it. I would just get a second opinion from your tailor!!!

Way high!!! My dress is having some serious alterations including putting a corset in where there is a zipper, all length alterations, bustle, etc, and it is $225. I would definitely get a second opinion!

WOW that is just nuts... I paid to have a hollow hem ($100.00 extra) and then I paid for the alterations of my dress (two sizes too big) and the alterations were about $200.00. So IMO I wouldn't pay over $350.00. I just seen your dress (beautiful BTW) and I really think you should get a second quote..

$550 JUST for the FIRST set of alterations??!??!!! That's insane! First of all, that's a very high price for alterations period, but to say that you'll have to pay even more to finish the alterations is a scam. Definitely get some quotes from other tailors.

-Vi-

I think they're ripping you off... no way could it be that much.

I'd get a second quote first. Good luck!

You are definately being taken advantage of. The highest quote I received was $400 but the average was between $100 and $250. Also, from what I know you only pay for alterations ONCE!!!

I guess it all depends on the store. Somethimes if they know you can afford a very expensive dress and they see you really love it, they will try to "ask" for more money ! fryingpan.gif

700$ is almost like buying another dress !

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieroy View Post
I guess it all depends on the store. Somethimes if they know you can afford a very expensive dress and they see you really love it, they will try to "ask" for more money ! fryingpan.gif

700$ is almost like buying another dress !
yeah, that is crazy!!