HELP! Transporting LARGE Quantities of Stuff Over...

Okay girls I am having a little bit of a panic attack.  Yesterday my mugs arrived and there were 4 large boxes.  Up until this point my brilliant bridal mule plan was going to work just fine but these huge boxes won't work with that plan.  

Has anyone actually "checked" stuff as an extra bag?  I have no problem paying but I am not sure if they will even let me do that.  I am also going to check with the various airlines as well.  

Any suggestions you have please let me know!!  BangHead.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Razzy!

I'm in the same boat as you are!  Although I haven't yet ordered my mugs, I will be ordering 100! Now I know I can expect 4-5 boxes!! OMG

So I've opted to "greet" our guests at the airport with their welcome bags before they check in, since about 80% of them are flying out of Toronto with us.... makes it easier for me, but might be a bit last minute for my guests to stuff them into their carry-on's or luggages!! LOL

I'm also thankful that my airline allows extra weight/extra luggage for the bride/groom, but I didn't want to haul a whole luggage full of stuff and be stuck with an empty one coming home (*I wish 80 OOT  bags fit in a duffel bag that collapses!).... this is the best 'plan' I've come up with so far!  I've also bought flipflops for the wedding reception *dancing shoes!* and am getting my family/sisters to bring/pack 10 pairs each for me!!  It's going to be a packing nightmare

I'm in the same boat!  I was debating handing out the bags and stuff in advance as "get ready bags" and then just handing out the travel mugs at the resort? That way there is less for me to pack, but still a welcome gift.  My fear is people might not pack everything if we give it to them in advance?  Is that crazy?  My FI thinks if we run around a few days before and deliver them then people will pack them.  He thinks the trick is to be super close to departure so they don't forget about them.

JR14 - It might be stressful to try and track everyone down in the airport?  At least with my family it would be ;)

PBP - Hey! You're from Toronto too..... For me, tracking everyone (100ppl) down and personally delivering them across Markham to Oakville to people who might end up "forgetting" them is more hassle IMO.  I think our plan is to try to arrive at the airport FIRST *if that's possible* and check-in our luggages, but stay in the departures area by the Air Transat lineups greeting everyone as they arrive at the airport and giving it to them prior to them checking in, so they can stuff it in their bags or hand carry them.  I'm really trying hard not to go nuts and not fill them up, but I'm sure the mugs will take up a lot of room as it is.... but I also like your idea of giving the bags first and the mugs after at the resort, this way I can get cheaper/smaller bags to hand the stuff out in and abandon the whole beach/tote bag concept. UGH! the dilemma!

I've also read other threads where brides have packed huge rubbermaid plastic tubs and paid extra luggage handling fees, etc.  Depending on how much it costs, this could be another option.

I had a "going away" party 1 week before we left.  It was a chance for everyone to meet each other at home first and talk about the trip.  They were able to ask questions and get to know each other first.  This is when I gave away my OOT bags.  Maybe you could give them most of their items in advance and then have a welcome letter/book made up and hand those out at the resort?  There's lots of info about welcome letters here http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/forum/list/69

Good luck!