DO I DARE plann a CINCO De MAYO WEDDING???...HELP!!!

I"m new to the forum and I'm recently engaged. I'm definitely doing a Destination Wedding in Cancun, Turks & Caicos or Punta Cana. But I am slowly ruling out the Punta Cana DR b/c I'm not hearing great things about the food at most of the resorts.  Also I have a lot of people who have traveled there and some complained about getting sick b/c of the food or not liking the food all together.

As far as Cancun goes, I thought it may be sort of cool to have my wedding on Cinco de Mayo (May 5th).  Have any of you heard of any other brides doing an actual Cinco de Mayo wedding in Mexico? If so, how did id turn out? Or would you not advise this.

I did Google holidays observed in Mexico and May 1st is Labor Day in Mexico and May 5th is Cinco de Mayo, but not Mexico's actual Independence Day, which that is celebrated on September 16th. So it appears that Cinco de Mayo is more celebrated in the USA rather than Mexico.

I have read threads were other BW Meixco Brides accidentally planned their wedding day on a National Holiday in Mexico and I didnt want to do the same.

On one hand this could be a really fun day to do it with a built in theme or this could be probably not the best day to do so since the whole country may be partying so it may  be harder to book a Photographer , DJ and other vendors>>>  Thoughts???

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree that you could do SO much with the theme for Cinco de Mayo! Absolutely go with it if it's the date you want!

On another note, I just returned from Punta Cana & Excellence Resort there. We had 34 guests and aside from a few upset tummies, no one really had any major issues with the food. Also our food was GREAT! I wasn't too crazy about the steak at our resort but everything else was quite tasty!

Okay...Over the Christmas Holiday I brought up the idea of a "Cinco de Mayo" Wedding to my family and no one like the idea! I was SHOCKED! huh.gif

Most of them thought it was "corny" or flat out said ..... thatswck.gif

May 5th has no significance to me and my FI but I thought it would be a good time to go and good theme.  I was originally thinking August. so I may just go back to that. Geez.. I'm glad my family is honest but OMG. 

I know in the end its my date to choose but its just nice to get some type of feedback from the family. 

@atrott - yeah i hear a lot of people make comments about the beef and not liking the texture of the beef in DR. 

I have been in Cancun for Cinco De Mayo, and there was little to no extra celebration except at a few of the random tourist type places (Ie Senior Frogs and stuff like that).

I just dont think it is actually largely celebrated in mexico itself.

So you could certainly do it for your wedding theme, just dont assume there will be a ton going on because of it. 

Hey Jetsettin,

My wedding is planned for May 5, 2011 and I too was worried about the resort being really loud and busy on our wedding day. I asked our photographer, who lives there, and he said the same. It isn't a Mexican holiday so they don't do much at all and he wasn't worried about it. I also asked the resort, and they said there wouldn't be loud interruptions. So I wouldn't let that date hinder a possible wedding date.

I have also been to Punta Cana and enjoyed the food there and did not get sick. But thats just me, I don't hold too high of a bar when I travel to all inclusives, people have to know that it really won't be the same as Canada and the US.

Happy Planning!

Thanks L&C!  Good to hear that we were thinking along the same lines.  I guess did you choose May 5th for Cinco de Mayo or did you just wanted a May wedding?  I just thought May would be a good time to go.  So i picked the 1st weekend in May and it just happen to be a  Friday or Saturday Wedding date.

Im trying to let go and enjoy the DW process but I just feel STRESSED and I feel that I cant make basic decisions anymore.. like wedding colors or invitation styles. Its just overwhelming. 

• 2 months later...

So I had to answer when I saw this. Originally I was going to have the wedding on cinco de mayo for 2012. It was hard to pick out a date when everyone was out of school. I have an 8 year old brother, little cousins, and in laws that work in the school system. I was set on my 5th with the hotel but then I was told that in NY the first two weeks of May are state testing. I was so annoyed! I'm half Mexican and my fiancé and our friends always celebrate cinco de mayo so it would have been great. We eventually changed it to April 7,2012. Everyone will be out of school so we are free. Until I realized that April 8th is Easter lol. You can't win everything. Who knows maybe we'll have an Easter egg hunt on the beach. Not to mention we'll beon vacation I think everyone would rather the beach :)