Sign in to follow this  
aholen

Wedding - Reception down time

Hi,

Our wedding is scheduled for 2:00 in June & dinner won't be starting until 5 or 6. What are some of you doing during those in between hours with your guests? Are you letting them entertain themselves, organizing something, or ??  I'm a little afraid our wedding will lose momentum with such a long break, but I'd also like dinner & dancing, which is less fun early in the afternoon!

Would love any ideas you guys have!

Thanks!

I think a lot of people will do a cocktail reception during that time. It really depends on your budget. If it was me, I know cocktails aren't in our budget so I would probably just let people entertain themselves. Weddings in my area always have like 2:00 ceremonies and then 5:30 receptions so guests are always left to fend for themselves so I figure it wouldn't be much different at a destination.

We did a cocktail hour between our wedding and our dinner/reception. It actually wasn't that much extra as far as costs go. Originally we were going to have some snacks and simple pitchers of margaritas and sangrias, stuff like that. We ended up coming in under budget so we changed it to nicer snacks and passed drinks. Even still, it wasn't that much more in the way of cost. I chose not to have any entertainment during the cocktail time so I just made an ipod playlist and let it run on the house speakers.

Also, I made some felt photo props so people could take some silly photos as they drank. It cost me pennies and everyone went nuts with them! I hardly have any photos now where people aren't wearing felt mustaches!

You could even do something as simple as a salsa/guacamole bar and pitchers of 1 or 2 drinks and some beers?

Originally Posted by Barbaracopeland View Post

Also, I made some felt photo props so people could take some silly photos as they drank. It cost me pennies and everyone went nuts with them! I hardly have any photos now where people aren't wearing felt mustaches!

I love this idea! I'm so going to steal it :)  Thanks!

Awesome!! If you go to my planning thread you can see some pictures of what I made. They were soooo easy to do and cheap! I really wish that I would have known how much people were going to like them so I could have made more!