HeLp!!!! they arent sending me my marriage certificate... melia punta cana

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrissytina924

• 145 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

Girls.. i am one step away from jumping on a plane and going back to the resort and throwing a temper tantrum.. i wanna cry!!!!

I was married at the melia caribe tropical in punta cana dr on June 26th, 2010 i was promised viz email and once i got there that i would have my marriage certificate sent to me in 3 months... well when sepetmeber 26th rolled around (the 3 months) i emailed the hotel and they told me that due to government changes that they dont have my marriage certificate and have no idea when they will have it.... since then i have been sending an email every month and no luck.. now this month which will make 6 months they have stopped responding to my emails... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO I JUST WANT TO CRY!

in sepetmber they accidenatlly sent me someone elses marriage certificate of someone who had the same last name as me but it wasnt mine.. now that couple was married in april and they were getting their certificate 5 months after they were married so i assumed i would be getting mine in the same time frame.. but november rolled around and left and nothing.. now we are approaching the 6th month mark and they wont even reply to me.

The worst part is is that i am now pregnant (thats not the bad part.. my husband and i are so excited to be expecting a baby boy may 13th!!!!) and i have no medical coverage bc my husands insurance wont add me bc they need proof of the marriage. and once we get it they wont back date all the bills that we have they will just cover me from the date we show them the marriage certificate and i cant get any medical help from the state bc im legally married.. its like being in between and rock and a hard place... this ridiculous stress is not good for the baby and i dont know what to do

does anyone else have this problem? does anyone know who i cant contact? does anyone know what i should do...

I would appreciate ANY help anyone can give me more then anyone would even know... please answer me here or send me an email chrissytina924@yahoo.com

thanks a bunch girls!!!

Edward & Christina
    Melia Caribe Tropical
    Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    June 26th, 2010

#2 sunstarsmoon

• 2,233 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

OMG that is horrible, have you tried contacting the embassy either in the US or maybe there is one in the Dominican.  Thats all I can think of. Good Luck and congrats on expecting a baby boy!

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#3 fmichelle

• 298 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Is there any way (since the insurance won't be back dating any way) that you could get a new marriage license here and just do something with a Judge to make it legal in the states?  I'm sure that's not the answer you want to hear, but besides the advice above (DR consulate in the states and or US Embassy in the DR) I'm not sure who else could help you.  Is there any way to get in contact with the Judge's office who does the ceremonies?  If your resort has stopped responding, perhaps you could contact another resort as a sort of inquiry to see if they have any contact info.  How does the state know that you're married and not to give you benefits if you don't have proof of the marriage?  We've been going back and forth on whether to do the legal paperwork here or not and your story (I'm so sorry to hear BTW, totally unnecessary stress and unfortunate) has helped in the decision.   I'm sorry again :(  But congratulations on expecting, that's awesome!

#4 Sallee

• 255 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

this is awful !!

i would contact the embassy both here and in the DR to find out how you can go about getting this sorted out once & for all

#5 islandbride8

• 315 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

This is awful!  I hope everything works out for you.  what a nightmare!  I agree with fmichelle.  I would go get married at the courthouse (so atleast you can be added to his insurance).  Good luck and let us know how this all turns out for you. 

#6 TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

why dont you just go to your local civil office and get legally married there?  it takes like 10 mins.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
            Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
            Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
            Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#7 khomac

• 380 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

Due to government changes?  I don't think so.  They just don't want to deal with it anymore I'm guessing.  It's quite common for Dominican's losing things or putting to the side or making excuses.  I've been dealing with the embassy for the past 8 months and it's just brutal.

You are able to get a copy.  It's actually cheap ($1, or $330 pesos) and only takes a few hours to retrieve, but there would be the fee for shipping it to you.  They would need full names of you, your husband, your witnesses, and the date of the wedding.

I got a copy of mine in Higuey.  They have an office there.  But they only speak Spanish.  Let me know if you want me to find the phone number for you.  I deleted it from my email already but could contact my wedding coordinator.

Don't worry!  We'll get you your copy!  

Kelly & Pablo

Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users