BDW Biggest Loser Season 11

msmarmar123

Thanx for all the sympathy everyone...I appreciate it :)  I'm fine...my arm from the tetanus shot actually hurts more right now...but I've been sucking down ibuprofin like its candy.

Diet has kind of taken a back seat..but tomorrow I am meeting with a nutritionist...so..I'm kind of excited about that.....

I'll let you all know what happens with that....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked with a personal trainer last fall, I didn't see huge differences in weight loss, but by the end of it my body had totally changed shape and I slimmed down in a lot of areas. Get out your measuring tape and start taking notes - you'll see a difference somewhere, I promise!!

Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

So I completed my first week of personal training!! Im pretty proud of myself so far, it was really tough though, I do an hour with the trainer and then another hour to a hour and half of cardio after wards.  Im pretty bummed though, after all those efforts I gained a pound!!!!  Not sure how this could have happened! Any suggestions, tips, info....

Ooh, that's exciting!  That's something I need to do.  I always get so frazzled by trying to do right, but I don't know what "right" is.  Everyone says something different, so then I just say WTH, and I eat whatever I want.  I've been doing good lately though.  I'm on a mission.  I have cut out my wine during the week and my chocolate candy bars that I used to eat daily (bite sized ones).  Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I try to eat either yogurt or an Andes mint, sugar free candy or Peppermint patty.  I am quite happy with the changes I saw this past week with just a 2 pound loss. 

Originally Posted by msmarmar123 View Post

Thanx for all the sympathy everyone...I appreciate it :)  I'm fine...my arm from the tetanus shot actually hurts more right now...but I've been sucking down ibuprofin like its candy.

Diet has kind of taken a back seat..but tomorrow I am meeting with a nutritionist...so..I'm kind of excited about that.....

I'll let you all know what happens with that....

Brandy, first of all, congrats on making it through your first week!  Who are you working with?  I can't believe they have you doing that much each day.  Make sure your eating enough too.  You don't want to eat too little when you are working out so hard b/c your body will go into starvation mode and start holding on to the fat cells.  I'm sure it will all start to even out.  :o)

Originally Posted by bryanandchar View Post

I worked with a personal trainer last fall, I didn't see huge differences in weight loss, but by the end of it my body had totally changed shape and I slimmed down in a lot of areas. Get out your measuring tape and start taking notes - you'll see a difference somewhere, I promise!!

Quote:

So I completed my first week of personal training!! Im pretty proud of myself so far, it was really tough though, I do an hour with the trainer and then another hour to a hour and half of cardio after wards.  Im pretty bummed though, after all those efforts I gained a pound!!!!  Not sure how this could have happened! Any suggestions, tips, info....

Thanks Ladies!

Tisha,

Im working with Dennis, we do an hour with him and then he recommends at least an hour of cardio each day so thats what I do and Im pooped after I leave the gym!  I think my eating is ok, I may cut back on the carbs just a little bit, I probably do consume too many!

On another note, I did step on the scale this morning and lost a pound! So Im pretty relieved about that.  Ive heard after the first 2 or 3 weeks is when the weight will start coming off, so I guess I just have to be patient!

Forgot tips and recipe this week....Here is a recipe for Blondies...WW PointsPlus 3 each

Part cake, part bread, part brownie. These blondies are moist and sweet, with an option for white chocolate or butterscotch.

Ingredients

2 spray(s) cooking spray   
  1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour   
  10 Tbsp whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp   
  1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats, do not use instant   
  1/2 tsp baking soda   
  1/4 tsp table salt   
  1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar   
  1/4 cup(s) sugar   
  4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened   
  1 large egg(s)   
  1 tsp vanilla extract   
  1 cup(s) apple juice, or apple cider   
  2/3 cup(s) white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips, chopped   

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 15- x 10 1/2-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.

• In a large bowl, combine both flours, oats, baking soda and salt; stir to blend and set aside.

• In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream both sugars and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Alternating in batches, add a little flour-oat mixture and then apple juice to bowl; beat after each addition. When all the dry and wet ingredients are well-blended, fold in chips.

• Turn batter into prepared baking dish; smooth top in an even layer. Bake until top is lightly golden, about 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for about 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into 24 pieces and remove to wire rack to cool completely. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Why Fiber Is Your Friend
Article By: S. Kirk Walsh

fiberisfriend_itf159009_n_lg.jpg

We'll tell you how to include more of this weight-loss ally in your daily diet

In recent years, fiber has been steadily disappearing from the landscape of the American diet. Instead, fast food, junk food and other pre-packaged foods have been squeezing fiber-rich choices out of Americans' daily consumption, explains Katherine Tallmadge, MA, RD, a past spokesperson for American Dietetic Association (ADA).

According to the National Academy of Sciences, the recommended intake for adult Americans is 25 grams of fiber per day for women and 38 grams per day for men. Currently, the average American consumes about 10 to 12 grams per day, less than half of the recommended allowance.

What does it do?
But it turns out that many of us are not in the know in terms of fiber's multiple health benefits and its many food forms, which may help contribute to its disappearing act. Most of us know that fiber has a reputation for "getting things moving" in the gastrointestinal realm. And calorie-conscious folks understand that fiber-rich foods trigger a feeling of fullness. In addition, "fiber appears to reduce the risk of colon and breast cancer, and heart disease," says Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, LD, an ADA spokesperson. "It's also good for individuals with diabetes who are trying to control their blood sugar."

How to Find Fiber
Where can you find fiber? Fiber-rich foods fall into five categories: fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds (you'd have to eat a lot of seeds to get fiber, but 1/4 cup of peanuts has 3 grams) and whole grains. Fiber content is required to be listed on the nutrition fact label on all packaged food. To determine how much fiber is in your fresh produce, Tallmadge suggests checking nutrition guides in bookstores or online. To increase fiber intake, eat vegetables and fruit with the skin on, when possible, and eat the whole fruit or vegetable rather than drinking its juice.

Fiber-Rich Food Ideas
In the afternoon, add beans like cooked kidney or garbanzo beans to your favorite salad. "Make batches of bean and vegetable soups and eat them throughout the week," suggests Tallmadge. For lunch, try a bowl of bean soup coupled with a high-fiber roll, adds Jackson. Another lunchtime favorite: a whole-wheat or corn tortilla with low-fat refried beans, lettuce and salsa. For snacks, Jackson suggests a small bag of grape tomatoes, red pepper strips, baby carrots or sugar-snap peas.

At dinner, trade in white rice for brown rice or other fiber-rich grains such as barley or bulgur, or white pasta for whole-wheat pasta. (Be sure grains are listed as whole in ingredients lists.) For dessert, Jackson suggests a cup of seasonal berries, a broiled banana, a baked apple with cinnamon or a grilled peach. Before long, fiber will become a dependable staple in your daily diet—and a constant companion in your goal to stay healthy while losing weight.

Some common foods and their fiber content (in grams):
Apple, large, with skin 3.7
Banana 2.8
Orange 3.1
Raisins, 1 miniature box 0.6
Beans, canned kidney, ½ cup 4.5
Broccoli, raw, ½ cup 1.3
Oatmeal, cooked, ¾ cup 3.0
Raisin bran, 1 cup 7.5
Nuts, dry roasted mixed, 1 oz. 2.6  

Thanks Ladies!

Tisha,

Im working with Dennis, we do an hour with him and then he recommends at least an hour of cardio each day so thats what I do and Im pooped after I leave the gym!  I think my eating is ok, I may cut back on the carbs just a little bit, I probably do consume too many!

On another note, I did step on the scale this morning and lost a pound! So Im pretty relieved about that.  Ive heard after the first 2 or 3 weeks is when the weight will start coming off, so I guess I just have to be patient!

Don't stress to much about the scale right away.  Being women and human our weigh fluctuates regardless of body fat for many different reasons (time of day you weigh, Aunt Flo, too much sodium, if you've pooped recently, dehydration, etc).  I allow myself a 2-3lb fluctuation depending on my circumstances.  Plus, training will help you build muscle which is more dense than fat, so hopefully you're adding to your "muscle weight" with all your hard work.  The good side of that is that increasing your muscle mass also increases your calorie burn.

Like others said, make sure you're getting enough calories to sustain your workout.  Eating too few can hurt your efforts as much as eating too many calories can.  And measuring yourself is a good idea too.  I tape my neck, bicep, chest, waist, hips, and thigh and keep the numbers on a piece of paper on my fridge.  That way if the scale isn't moving but the shape of my body is, I know that it's just muscle countering my fat loss.   I also have a scale that tells me body fat %, so I track that too.  Although the scale is how we determine the winner for BDW BL, it's not the only way to affirm that you're a winner on your personal journey. 

Originally Posted by TLGnhci View Post

Ooh, that's exciting!  That's something I need to do.  I always get so frazzled by trying to do right, but I don't know what "right" is.  Everyone says something different, so then I just say WTH, and I eat whatever I want.  I've been doing good lately though.  I'm on a mission.  I have cut out my wine during the week and my chocolate candy bars that I used to eat daily (bite sized ones).  Now, if I have to have a sweet treat, I try to eat either yogurt or an Andes mint, sugar free candy or Peppermint patty.  I am quite happy with the changes I saw this past week with just a 2 pound loss. 

Tisha, I highly recommend SparkPeople.  It's a free food plan/calorie tracker that offers a balanced meal planner and shopping list.  I like that it allows you to track nutrients other than just calories or fat.  That way if your doctor tells you that you're low on a certain vitamin or mineral, you can track your daily intake to make sure you're getting it in your diet.  They also have free articles and workouts. 

The tracker has a large database of off-plan foods too, so that if you go rogue or want to substitute a suggested snack for your Andes mint you can do so without judgment.  I've found that it helps to be conscious of your daily calories, because it can be difficult to eyeball it.  I remember one time I came home to visit, and my diebetic father tried to convince me that he had drastically changed his diet and was now eating healthy.  All it took was a few minutes to log what he had eaten that day to help him understand that what he thought he was eating was very far off from what he was actually eating.

Another bride told me that weight just fell off her the week before the wedding, and now I know what she means.  I had NO time to eat all week!  Just the stress and the excitement was enough, but with hair/spa appointments and last minute preparations, I just didn't eat that much. 

Good luck and see you ladies in a couple of weeks!  :)