Alternative to OOT Bags?

I would love to do an OOT bag but a huge part of me feels it may be a huge waste of money.  I think the idea is fantastic and unique but I'm not sure everyone will make complete use of everything.  Any suggestions on an alternative?  

I feel the exact same way! After seeing all the ideas here, I'm considering it, but I want to make sure I only include stuff my guests will use and that won't break my budget and the suitcase weight limit.

I honestly think that a welcome letter and some local treats would suffice. I'm not even going to leave stuff in people's room, but hand it out when we have our welcome drinks. If I can find cheap bags I would get them as everyone would be staying in an apartment and will be shopping for food, but if they aren't $1 a bag, I ain't getting them :P

Most of what is going in our bags will be edible, so I'm sure it will all get used since we're not staying at an all-inclusive.  I attended a wedding recently that had OOT bags that contained snacks, candy, and bottled water.  There was nothing left by the end of the weekend, and we definitely appreciated them!  My fiance was so excited to receive the OOT bag that he was completely sold on having them at our own wedding, lol.  I was considering this bag since it was only a dollar and looked like a boat tote even though it's made out of shopping bag material:

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=30794&SubGroupID=30773&ParentGroupID=18981#30773

Another idea instead of OOT bags would small bottles of alcohol & mixers or some other type of edible treat local to the area if you're not at an all-inclusive.

I'm glad you posted this! I was debating what to put in my welcome kits and whether or not to even do it. I think less can definetly be more in certain cases. I think I will just do a welcome letter, shot glas, jamaican rum and coffee, a reggae cd, and a mug, and hand them out to guests during our welcome party as well. Thanks for the advice ladies!

These bags are awesome, thanks so much for posting.  And the price is so right!!  Our OOT bags will be simple in that we are doing monogrammed beach towels, along with the little kits I've seen on here 'the hangover kit, emergency kit, etc.." along with a welcome letter." We want to keep what we travel with simple as we will be leaving from our honeymoon right from Mexico.

Originally Posted by Karen&Rene View Post

Most of what is going in our bags will be edible, so I'm sure it will all get used since we're not staying at an all-inclusive.  I attended a wedding recently that had OOT bags that contained snacks, candy, and bottled water.  There was nothing left by the end of the weekend, and we definitely appreciated them!  My fiance was so excited to receive the OOT bag that he was completely sold on having them at our own wedding, lol.  I was considering this bag since it was only a dollar and looked like a boat tote even though it's made out of shopping bag material:

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=30794&SubGroupID=30773&ParentGroupID=18981#30773

Another idea instead of OOT bags would small bottles of alcohol & mixers or some other type of edible treat local to the area if you're not at an all-inclusive.