Photo

court house wedding question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JLR1726

JLR1726
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

I noticed that most evreyone is having a legal cermeony in the states before going to the destination. what all happens at the court house? do you exchange rings or is it just siging paperwork and saying "i do"?

thanks ladies!

#2 islandbride8

islandbride8
    • 315 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

I'm also wondering about this.  I'm trying to talk my fiance into doing this because his parents can't come to the DW and they could be involved in this.  I'm hoping its not too much.  def don't want to say vows twice!

#3 Diva

Diva
      • 682 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

We are doing this IN 2 WEEKS!! (shhh) so we would have technically been married for almost 3 months at the wedding in DR.

Anyhoo, we are exchanging rings and saying the "standard" vows at the courthouse.  This may be a little corny, but we will wear the rings until new year's eve, and as 2011 comes in, the rings come off until our ceremony in March! We also plan to write our vows for the DW to make it a little more special. I also plan to engrave his ring with a special message with our "legal" date as well as the ceremony date. 

Hope that helps!

#4 Karen&Rene

Karen&Rene
        • 190 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

We did the court house wedding already.  When we first got there, we were asked to fill out all the paperwork in the waiting room... kind of felt like we were at the doctor's office or something, lol.  The ceremony itself took place in the judge's office.  We did not exchange rings (although we had the option of doing so), but did have to say the standard vows; the judge just reads them off and you repeat them.  It was super short and sweet and did not feel like an actual wedding at all.  Even though we're legally married, I'm sure we won't feel married until we have the "real" wedding in a few months.

#5 LisaMatterni

LisaMatterni
          • 718 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Karen&Rene 

We did the court house wedding already.  When we first got there, we were asked to fill out all the paperwork in the waiting room... kind of felt like we were at the doctor's office or something, lol.  The ceremony itself took place in the judge's office.  We did not exchange rings (although we had the option of doing so), but did have to say the standard vows; the judge just reads them off and you repeat them.  It was super short and sweet and did not feel like an actual wedding at all.  Even though we're legally married, I'm sure we won't feel married until we have the "real" wedding in a few months.

We're doing the same also when we were married at the court house. We don't exchange rings. Just exchanging vows. There are few visitors attended because we want to keep the wedding as simple as possible.

#6 JLR1726

JLR1726
            • 187 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

thanks so much for responding! this helps a lot!!!

#7 islandbride8

islandbride8
              • 315 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

very helpful.   thanks

#8 cathrynprice

cathrynprice
                • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

The courthouse is where you take care of the legal part of the wedding, ie have the judge or clerk complete the marriage license for you and your fiancee.

#9 ginarook

ginarook
                  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

Pretty much.

#10 islandbride8

islandbride8
                    • 315 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

we were wondering about actually getting married at the courthouse, not just the marriage certificate.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users