CHEAP STORES IN PUNTA CANA

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 natalie7

natalie7
  • Site Supporter
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

I'm curiuos for people who have gone down there... or know people down in DR or are having their wedding... that know if any of these stores are down in DR:

WALMART?

TARGET??

A CHEAP LIQUOR STORE?

A CHEAP FLORIST??

I'm looking to go outside the hotel for a bunch of things.... has anyone gotten alcohol at an outside place??? Safe???

#2 Sallee

Sallee
    • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

I didnt see any walmarts or such stores when we were there

#3 natalie7

natalie7
      • Site Supporter
      • 298 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's safe to be buying over $1000 worth of alcohol outside the resort?? Anyone have experience with this??

#4 jhartford19

jhartford19
        • 187 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I asked my WC about whether their was a Walmart there and she said no. Check with your resort WC.

#5 khomac

khomac
          • 380 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:56 AM

They have a store in Higuey which is like a Walmart.  It's called Iberia - bottle of Brugal Rum - $8.00.

Higuey is about 40 minutes from the resorts in Punta Cana.

Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
            Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#6 natalie7

natalie7
            • Site Supporter
            • 298 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

Do you have experience with going there and buying things like alcohol??

#7 Chule0307

Chule0307
              • 34 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have been to the DR various times and they have this place called "La Sirena" which is just like a WALMART or TARGET but they have so many things such as liquor, hair products, candy and etc.

Good luck!

#8 MedicChick

MedicChick
                • Site Supporter
                • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

Chule... great, but where is it???

#9 khomac

khomac
                  • 380 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Natalie - My husband is from Higuey so we go there all the time.  I believe there are excursions that go into Higuey I just don't know any of the details.  Taking a cab might be expensive, just be sure to work out the pricing details before you get in.  I believe the cab will even wait for you while you shop.

All of the prices are in Peso's.  If you exchange money into Peso's you get a better exchange rate than you would paying US$ in the store itself.

If you wondering about how safe it is, it's definitely safe, and busy.  Be sure to stop by the Basilica to get pics as well.  I don't know if you can go inside anymore.  I thought I read somewhere that they closed it to tourists because it interfered with the locals who go to pray and pay their respects to loved ones past.

Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
                    Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#10 fmichelle

fmichelle
                    • 298 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

Is La Sirena closer to the resorts than Higuey?  It would be a nice peace of mind thing to know that in case anything vital was forgotten we wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for any necessity on the resort itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users