Cash Wedding Registry - Is Anyone Doing This?

Ladies,

I turn to you for help again.  My FI and have been living together for a while, we dont need any of the things you would get from a traditional wedding registry.

I found information on cash wedding registries on the web, is anyone doing this?

Two sites I found:

ourwishingwell.com

uponastar.com

also, would this be uber tacky?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in the same boat and I struggle with the same question of it being tacky.  Based on what I have read here and on other sites, I have decided to not create an actual registry and not mention anything on the invitation.  I have read that given the small size of our wedding guest list, we will simply use word of mouth.  If people as our closet family and friends, we will simply have them say that we are accepting cash gifts and NO TOASTERS!  Lol! 

My fiance and I are in the same situation - we each owned our own homes and then moved in together once we got engaged.  We had to donate a lot of items as we had essentially 2 of everything - so the last thing we need is items off of a registry.  We have decided to register for a honeymoon online (we are staying a few extra days in Mexico after the wedding, but our realy honeymoon will be for our 1 year anniversary).  Basically anyone who wants to give us a gift (which we will not request) can donate money online with the understanding it is going to the honeymoon.  That way we aren't asking for cash, but we are getting money for something we would have paid for anyway - so the same as cash.

I've come to this conclusion myself, that rather then advertise anything, we'll advertise nothing. I'd rather get the cash to do what we want with it (excursions on the honeymoon, or things for our new house) rather then get items of a registry. 

I really don't think a cash registry is tacky, to me it's the online version of the wishing wells people have at the actual reception.

Originally Posted by eholt View Post

We are in the same boat and I struggle with the same question of it being tacky.  Based on what I have read here and on other sites, I have decided to not create an actual registry and not mention anything on the invitation.  I have read that given the small size of our wedding guest list, we will simply use word of mouth.  If people as our closet family and friends, we will simply have them say that we are accepting cash gifts and NO TOASTERS!  Lol! 

Glad I found this forum!  My FI and I were considering having a honeymoon registry and he joked about "WISHING" there was a thing as a cash donation website for weddings, so that we don't have a pre-select a date, place, hotel, activites, and excursions.  Due to the size of our wedding we're not sure if we're going to be able to afford a honeymoon anymore, so this would be SOOO nice!!! I'm thinking of doing it, but have the same reservations.  I also don't expect money for our wedding gift per se, but it would totally be suitable to have this on my bridal shower invitation!!  That's the best way I thought of to get around asking for money when people are already spending over 1K for the DW.

My fiance and I are pretty much in the same boat. We decided to register on Amazon and HoneyFund. Our items on Amazon are pretty out there. We have camping gear, rock climbing equipment and other random items on there. HoneyFund covers items like season passes for snowboarding and money for our honeymoon. I know it's not traditional, but we're not very traditional people anyway.