Try a watermelon & pineapple salsa, it would go great with lots of things, spicy shrimp, chips, chicken, etc. Its a nice change from the regular thing.
Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:56 AM
Prep: 30 min., Bake: 55 min., Cool: 45 min., Chill: 2 hr. Baking the potato shells before filling them sets the shape (so they will not break when picked up) and enhances the flavor. Don't overmixâ€”the texture will be gummy instead of creamy. Petite indicates a potato about the size of a plum tomato.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 14 petite red or yellow oval-shaped potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet-hot pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground celery seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Garnishes: fresh dill sprigs, coarsely ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a small bowl, and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. kosher salt; toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet.
2. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, and let cool 15 minutes.
3. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out potato pulp into a bowl, leaving shells intact. Discard 4 potato shells. Place remaining shells on baking sheet, and bake 10 more minutes. Let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool.
4. Add mayonnaise, next 6 ingredients, and, if desired, celery seed, to potato pulp in bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Spoon mixture generously into each potato shell. Cover and chill 2 hours. Sprinkle with paprika just before serving, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Wickles Original Pickle Relish
Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:59 AM
Mini Beef Fajita Bites
- Preparation Time:
- 15 minutes
- Total Time:
- 21 minutes
- Number of Servings:
Your choice-appetizer, snack or mini meal! A tasty combination of seasoned beef with crunchy chips topped with Cheddar cheese and guacamole.
|1 pkg.||mini corn chip shells|
|1/4 cup||shredded Cheddar cheese|
|2 pkgs. (1/2 lb. each)||Ground Beef (#413)|
|2 Tbsp.||fajita seasoning|
|1 pkg.|| Guacamole (#746), thawed & mashed |
1. Brown beef according to package directions.
2. Stir in water, fajita seasoning and salsa. Cook an additional 3 minutes.
3. Place mini shells on a serving plate. Spoon fajita filling into each shell and top with cheese and a dollop of guacamole.
Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:00 AM
Mini Puff-Pastry Tartlets
These mouthwatering mini tartlets have three different toppings, so every guest should find something to their taste. The steam created by the damp baking sheets helps the pastry to rise quickly and evenly.
You Will Need
3 lb. (1.3 kg) puff pastry
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
3 oz. (75 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
4 tomatoes, sliced
6 oz. (175 g) goats' cheese, crumbled
6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half
2 mozzarella cheeses, (10 oz./280 g), each cut into 6 slices
Chopped fresh herbs, e.g. parsley, chives, basil, to garnish
What to Do
1. Cut the pastry into six equal pieces and roll each to a rectangle measuring 9 in. x 6 in. (23 cm x 15 cm). Cut each rectangle into six 3-in. (7.5-cm) squares, to make 36 squares.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C/Gas Mark 7).Dampen enough baking sheets to lay out the pastry squares.
3. Place the pastry squares on the baking sheets, leaving a space between them, and divide the pepper slices and Parmesan between 12 of them. Top another 12 with the tomato slices and goatsâ€™ cheese, and the final 12 with the prosciutto and mozzarella.
4. Bake in the oven until the pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 10â€“15 minutes.
5. Serve the mini tartlets warm, sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs of your choice.
Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:19 AM
These are great ideas! Thanks Butterfly! I know what to serve now at my AHR
Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:01 PM
And much more coming:)
The stuffing in step 1 can be made up to a day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Per mushroom: 18 calories, 1 g fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbs, 122 mg sodium, 1 g protein, 0 g fiber
Makes 4 dozen
- 3 ounces day-old white bread (about 3 slices), crusts removed
- 2 scallions, white and light-green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ounce dry Monterey Jack or Parmesan, grated on small holes of box grater
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 48 button mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds), stems removed and caps cleaned
Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:05 PM
Hot Spinach Dip:
This rich, creamy dip can be assembled through step two up to three days ahead, then covered and refrigerated; it can also be served as a side dish. Two 10-ounce packages of frozen spinach can be substituted for the fresh. Thaw according to box instructions, drain well, and chop
Makes 3 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds spinach, cleaned, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Baguette slices, breadsticks, or crackers, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in two additions, letting the first batch wilt before adding the next; cook until completely wilted, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain, pressing to release all excess liquid.
- In the same pot, warm milk over high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot with accompaniments, as desired.
Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:08 PM
Chicken Satay Skewers
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 strips
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Vegetable oil, for pan
Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:12 PM
Iced Coffee Frappe with Cotton Candy
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 3 tablespoons instant-coffee frappe; mix (such as Nescafe; Classic; www.parthenonfoods.com)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- White cotton candy, for topping
Blend 3/4 cup milk, 3/4 cup cold water, the instant-coffee frappe; mix, and sugar in a blender until combined, about 30 seconds. Divide among 3 tall glasses filled with ice. Pour 2 tablespoons milk into each glass. Serve immediately, topped with cotton candy.
Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:48 PM
Beef and Asparagus Negimaki
- Salt, for water
- 24 thin stalks asparagus, or 12 thick stalks sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 bunch scallions, greens only
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users