new friends...?

ok posted another thread about how i'm sending out invites now, blah blah they are an enormous PITA blah blah...

anyway i'm starting a new job in sept - new district, new school, new ppl...i've met the other 4th grade teachers, and we seem to get along well, all young, 2 newly married, 2 engaged (4 of us all together).

here's the ?? - do i invite them to the wedding? we'll have known each other for quite a few months by then, but don't want to pressure them...and don't want them to think that i'm fishing for gifts, b/c i'm not - i just dont want to exclude them if i shouldn't....

ARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

My first instinct is no since you don't know them well and there's still plenty of time to figure out you don't like them enough to travel with/have them at your wedding. They should not feel exluded if they are not invited, you began wedding planning before you knew them.

But, there are people we just click with in life and if you feel that's the relationship you have go for it! But only if you want them there, not if you think you have to. I've worked with the same people for 5 years and some of them even asked to be invited, but I said no, the wedding is for family and close friends only. That cut out like 20 people I didn't need there :o)

I would say no. I started at a new school right after getting engaged, and had been at the school 2 years when I go married. Now, when I sent the STDs out I hadn't been there a year.

I didn't invite anyone and doubt very much that they expected to be.

I figure the planning began before the relationship with my new co-workers did.

I switched offices during wedding planning and while I wasn't really close withe the people in the new office prior to coming here, I did know them and spent some time with them.

The thing is I didn't invite anyone from work at all, mostly because in my old office I worked with just guys, so it wasn't like I had any close girl co-workers and I also knew that there was no way everyone or even a couple people would be able to take time off at the same time, so it seemed easier to just not invite any of them.

I would have liked to have invited the two girls in my office to my shower, but felt bad since they weren't invited to the wedding so I didn't.

It sounds like you still have a little bit of time to decide before you send out invites. I think if you feel a connection with these people and start getting together with them for lunch or outside of work, I might invite them. I guess my feeling is that after working with them all year, by the time your wedding comes around are you going to be even closer to them and wished you had invited them?

Since your wedding is coming up in February, I think it depends on how close you are with these new friends. I invited one co-worker who now I wish I hadn't (although I expect her to back out b/c of $$ issues). Another new friend I met in the Spring I just recently invited b/c we became much closer, and now she has booked too.

Perhaps you can ask if they are interested in coming. You might find out they simply can;t anyway, and then you are off the hook.

But I think it's a win-win situation with no wrong answer.

I think you should wait it out and see how you feel around November. If at that time you feel very close to them and really want them there, then I would invite them. This way they at least have three months to make arrangments/save. But don't feel obligated to invite them now.