TSA Peep or Grope

Is anyone else concerned about the new body scanners and pat down methods being put into place by the TSA? 

My biggest concern with the scanner is that the radiation has not been proven safe and allows screeners to save the images.  I don't really want to get cancer and I'm not a big fan of giving away pictures of the goodies for free (Although, I'll pay my BD photog to take some more flattering ones!)

However, the alternative to the scanning machine is a full body pat down where they can grab your breasts under your bra and pat down your genitals.  If you refuse to either method, they can try to bring an $11k civil suit against you. 

Thankfully, not all of the airports have started using this method, but I'm almost to the point of panic just thinking about what would happen if they implement it in the airport we're supposed to fly out of for the wedding. 

They have put this into place here in Chicago. My coworker flew this week and chose the pat down. Apparently they pat up your leg until they "meet resistance." That's gross. I'm not sure about the grabbing the boobs part, since he is lacking in that area!

Some have suggested that they are trying to make the new pat-down as invasive and embarassing as possible so people will opt for the x-ray machine.

I think either option is quite creepy.

Doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather know that I'm safe on a plane. And really I think a pat down would be more embarassing. The people working the machine are trained and will be seeing the same thing over and over again, its like going to a gyno, they've seen it all so it really doesn't matter.

In terms of radiation I think I might be worried if I was a really frequent flyer but just going for your wedding and going through it once or twice won't be a big deal. X-rays, CT scans, etc aren't good for you but they're necessary in small amounts.

Although I can't say that I am the most comfy with random strangers patting me down or the idea of radiation....I acn say that I appreciate the idea of feeling safe of a flight and letting these jerks know that their attempts to harm others will not be tolerated.  Its a sad time that we live in.  I do not fly often so I guess I can suck it up.

I'm trying to get a promotion at work that would involve me flying very frequently, so the regular exposure concerns me.  Plus, they haven't been able to study the long term effects of the machine or the effects of prolonged exposure to the rays from the machines. 

It also really concerns me that the images can be saved.  I don't think that most of the employees would be inappropriate, but the TSA doesn't do a thorough enough screening to prevent creepos from getting employed.  Plus, there have been reports of inappropriate comments from the screeners after people go through the machines AND they make children go through them too.  I just don't trust the government to keep this system secure and safe.  I think it would be a different story if they had the computer scan the body and then alert the staff if there's something suspect and delete the images immediately.  There have already been over 100 images reported being leaked. 

I don't feel safer with these measures in place, and some people have been able to opt out citing religious purposes but others have not been allowed to opt out no matter what the reason, which kinda defeats the purpose of subjecting the general public to these new procedures. 

As for my wedding, I don't really want to subject my guests to these options.  If they make them standard in our local airports, I might consider not doing a DW. 

I think I would be more ok with the situation if I thought their procedures were needed and would be effective in stopping a threat.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that supports the TSA actually mitigating a terrorist threat in the past 10 years, and a determined terrorist could still fairly easily internally smuggle a weapon on board.  I think there are more intelligent solutions to tracking suspicious persons than subjecting every traveling American to this. 

Completely agree, no question. What about the security line and presecurity airport locations? They are completely vulnerable. They'll probably put xray scanners in the security cameras next, instead of actually working with other government agencies to pre-target bad guys.

Originally Posted by Sapphire723 View Post

I think I would be more ok with the situation if I thought their procedures were needed and would be effective in stopping a threat.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence that supports the TSA actually mitigating a terrorist threat in the past 10 years, and a determined terrorist could still fairly easily internally smuggle a weapon on board.  I think there are more intelligent solutions to tracking suspicious persons than subjecting every traveling American to this. 

I was reading some opinions on the matter, and a few people had comments such as "What if someone sneaks a weapon in their anus? Are we going to have to get cavity searches before boarding?"

I'd be willing to submit some pre-flight documents and profile screening to mitigate the suspicion that I'm carrying harmful things in my panties.  Or, they could deploy actual agents who specialize in counter terrorism efforts to screen those who raise suspicion.  But instead they're going to harass every innocent who wants to fly. 

Originally Posted by acireta View Post

Completely agree, no question. What about the security line and presecurity airport locations? They are completely vulnerable. They'll probably put xray scanners in the security cameras next, instead of actually working with other government agencies to pre-target bad guys.

I'm really sorry that you're stuck with only those options.

Apparently an German TV show did some experiments with the scanner and found out that the scanner caught a cell phone, swiss army knife and his microphone.  However, it missed all the components to make a bomb that he hid on his body.