Photo

Is anyone treating their legal ceremony as more than just "paperwork"?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smangicap

smangicap
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

I know this is probably greedy of me  but I've decided to treat my legal ceremony (I'm having a DW in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico) as a mini-wedding ceremony. I just couldn't resist the chance to have another, totally different wedding gown and to have a theme!

I am planning a vintage, "mad-men"ish theme; here is my ensemble (as of today, I have all the pieces and I'm officially ready for my 12/9 legal ceremony! :) ):

My Legal Ceremony Ensemble.jpg

I have also hired a photographer that I adore (Emily Heizer - check out her blog here, she takes AMAZING pictures: http://eheizerphotog...y.blogspot.com/) for 2 hours - I am hoping to have a fun, dressy but not too formal short ceremony and take tons of fun pictures which may or may not tell a "story" pointing to my future DW wedding. :)

I know a lot of people are treating their legal ceremonies as "paperwork" (which I initially did, until I went WEDDING CRAZY :P ). Is there anyone out there who isn't? I would LOVE to hear what you are planning!

Sheila 

#2 snow88

snow88
    • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

I'm using my reception dress for my legal ceremony and thinking of taking pictures but I am a little worried about taking away from the actual ceremony.

#3 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

Our legal ceremony was casual but there is nothing wrong with making it fancy if you want.  Nothing will compare to your DW so don't worry about one taking away from another.  Looking back you'll want to have done it your way, so have fun!

#4 snow88

snow88
        • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:55 PM

My BM can't make it to my DW so I invited her as well. 

BTW, I love your outfit.

#5 karyan

karyan
          • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:28 AM

I love the idea!!! Also love your mad-men dress, congrats for making it a special day!

#6 lisa203

lisa203
            • 681 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

Love that you're celebrating your legal ceremony too. Great outfit. You'll have a blast!

#7 CamLovesJA

CamLovesJA
              • 301 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

I went all out! I wore a gown in Church! lol. Go for it! It won't make the DW any less special. I love your vintage theme. My theme was "I want to wear a princess dress but it will look funny on the beach so i will wear it now!" haha

Church

#8 rpingree001

rpingree001
                • 264 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

I love the idea!  I think your outfit is adorable and just perfect!  I don't want to do a big deal for my legal but want to dress it up a little since it is the "real deal".  Thanks for the inspiration!!

#9 MRR16

MRR16
                  • 249 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

great dress!

#10 smangicap

smangicap
                    • 23 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for your input, everyone!

I was battling with some guilt for making a fuss about the legal ceremony, but in the end I realized that, while my DW will be my symbolic joining to my FI, this is my legal joining and is still really important and worth celebrating. I used to say "you only get married once"...now I am amending my statement to "you only get married twice" :) (unless we decide to do a catholic ceremony as well...lol this is not really important to me but my FI is Mexican and has said he wants to....)

Here is an updated picture of me in the full ensemble (I still have to figure out how to work the birdcage veil, though! :) ):

My Legal Ceremony Ensemble with Jacket.jpgFull Legal Ensemble.JPG

I LOVE it!!!

Because we are not exchanging rings (I felt that this symbolic gesture should be saved for the DW), I am getting a nice fountain pen engraved with "Mr & Mrs Blanco 12.9.10" - I plan to have us use this to sign the marriage certificate and any important documents we have later as a married couple. I thought that this reflects the "legality" of our union - and would be a nice thing to pass on to future generations, Kinda corny, right? lol What do you think? If so, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you all again!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users