Photo

Maui or St. Lucia, and where do i start???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hlinnea10

hlinnea10
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

I just got engaged, YAY!!!  We ideally want to get married in Maui.  We want to get married on the beach, barefoot in the sand, and a luau style reception (not necessarily private luau).  Any suggestions as to where to start??  Should I contact a local travel agent to help us weed through some resorts?

We also thought of St. Lucia as a possibility, it's just that nothing is like HAWAII!!

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Heather

#2 karyan

karyan
    • 184 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:47 AM

It seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you want. I first started with picking the island that I wanted to have a DW on (looking at activities, how many tourists are there, etc) and then I started looking at tentative places/beaches. I also researched the wedding coordinator websites as they usually have examples of where to get married.

Good luck!

#3 hlinnea10

hlinnea10
      • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

Thanks!  Yeah, that is exactly what i'm doing.  I think we've now chosen Maui because October is peak hurricane season in the Carrib, not sure we want to deal with that.  :)

#4 karyan

karyan
        • 184 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

We're getting married in maui in Oct 2011, and I thought it was the best because there's quite a few options for ceremony spots as well as lots to do for guests. 

From what I've heard the Old Lahaina Luau is the best one with great food. 

I've had friends who have travelled the carib during Oct and have been totally fine......don't think I'd chance it for a wedding though!

#5 schmizer

schmizer
          • 213 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

We are looking at public luau.  Just so you know, most luaus will divide your group into parties of 8 and seat you at adjacent tables.  If you can't fill a full table, they will seat strangers with your guests to fill the holes.  We were looking at Old Lahaina and didn't book for this reason.

Their sister luau, Feast at Lele, will seat your group together, but it is a different format.  5 course seated dinner instead of buffet and a little more expensive, but the food is much better and it is a better location.  I have attended both of these on previous visits.

We are looking at booking at Feast at Lele.

#6 hlinnea10

hlinnea10
            • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Ok, good to know.  Is the Feast at Lele still a luau with the Hawaiian traditional stuff behind it?

Heather

#7 schmizer

schmizer
              • 213 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Here is the link!

http://www.feastatlele.com/

#8 jennifersyble

jennifersyble
                • 166 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

I was in Maui in October and went to the Old Lahaina Luau. The Luau was really cool but the food was just so-so. Hope that helps.

#9 abbyndarren

abbyndarren
                  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

I would choose Maui over St. Lucia anytime even though St Lucia has a great rain forest to go zip lining. I took my fiance to St Lucia for his bday last year and this Aug. was my bday and he took me to Maui. I love it. I will be getting married at a private estate at Olowalu Plantation. I didn't go to any luau since I think most food serve will be mediocre at best since it is catering to a general of people. Great entertainment though. I heard Hyatt Luau is pretty good. I would suggest hiring a catamaran and have a dinner cruise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users