Photo

I'm stumped! When should I mail out STDs for wedding?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Islandgirl910

Islandgirl910
  • 594 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

We are getting married next year Sept in JA. I'm stuck as to when I should send out my STDs. I wanted to have them made and them mailed out by the end of this year. Sounds like a good time right? And then of course I'm torn between, sending out boarding passes as the STDs or sending out postcards. I was thinking of using the boarding passes as the STDs, passports as the invitations and then postcards as thank you notes once the wedding is over. Suggestions? Opinions appreciated!

#2 wilsonj2

wilsonj2
    • 191 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

I think shooting for the end of this year is a good idea.  We are getting married in July 2011, and I sent mine out in September.  I figured the more notice I give, the better.  I just went with simple cards from weddingpaperdivas.com (seaside elegance...simple starfish), and I figured I would get more creative with the actual invitations.  I think that was the way to go, as it got the word out and didn't cause me too much stress.  Happy planning!

July 2011 ~ Sandals Grande St. Lucian

#3 soontobemrsdow

soontobemrsdow
      • 250 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

I sent mine out around April and we are getting married Jan 2011. I think the earlier the better because right away you start getting rough feedback from everyone on if they are thinking about coming, definatly coming, or aren't. It helps you to start to plan the actual wedding because you can kind of guess a rough estimate of people, even before you send out the actual invites. As for what type of std to do I agree with wilsonj2, keep it easy and stress free for the save the dates...I made magnets so people could keep them on their fridge as a reminder. Really basic with our picture where and when we were going and thats about it! Save your creativity for your invites! Hope that helps!

#4 Islandgirl910

Islandgirl910
        • 594 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thank you both for your response! It's so hard deciding re the STDs bc I feel I'm only doing this once (plan to marry once, God willing) and I don't want to regret not doing something. I'm going to sit down and see what the costs will be for all stationary that I am thinking of and then base our decisions on that. That's the trick re weddings. So many different ways to do stuff so it's hard to choose! Happy planning ladies!

#5 Sharonte

Sharonte
          • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:04 AM

I think the end of the year is good. I'm getting married in Jamaica in July I sent my SDT's out in September. I had boarding passes made for our SDT's. I plan on using passports as the formal invititation. You should check out vistaprint.com. They have really good deals !

#6 MRR16

MRR16
            • 249 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

End of the year is great.

#7 karyan

karyan
              • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

Exactly, more notice the better. We gave everyone a year, and did cheap postcards as STDs. Stick to your budget and you'll figure out what you can do.

#8 Spazdoodles

Spazdoodles
                • 159 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I think the more notice the better. We sent ours out about 9 months in advance. I was aiming for 10 but it took awhile to get our engagement pics done, then to design the STD's and have them printed (Vistaprint of course!)

#9 Islandgirl910

Islandgirl910
                  • 594 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:47 AM

Another question after you ladies sent out your STDs, when did you send out your invitations?

#10 wilsonj2

wilsonj2
                    • 191 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:52 AM

I'm planning to send mine by March 15, 4 months before my wedding on July 15.  Seems early to me, but I read somewhere you should send them out at least 4 months before a destination wedding. 

July 2011 ~ Sandals Grande St. Lucian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users