Sign in to follow this  
TammyWright

Mediterranean (Syrian) Fattoush Salad

This is a great salad to bring to a potluck if you want something to wow your guests. It is super yummy and from this awesome restaurant i go to. i use the premade pita chips instead of baking my own out of laziness and also have used cumin powder and pitted olives in a pinch.

Syrian Fattoush Salad

Tips:

As a fattoush maker for over 15 years, I know this salad like the back of my hand so I have some very helpful tips:

• Use only the hearts of the romaine--donâ€t be tempted to use the tough outer leaves. Also, tear off the top of the heart if it seems limp and leathery.
  • Traditionally, Italian parsley is used in place of cilantro, but I like the flavor balance of the mint and the cilantro. The size of a bunch of cilantro or mint in the summer months is double the size than in the winter. So, if you have big bunches in the summer, use 1/4 of a bunch, instead of 1/2 of a bunch.

• Splurge on French sheepâ€s feta or a good quality imported feta cheese. Itâ€s rich with a nice salt and acidity balance. Donâ€t skimp!

• Use fresh lemon juice, cumin seed and real Kalamata olives. Remember that the taste of the lemon juice varies through the year so use your buds and adjust accordingly. Adding a pinch of sumac to boost up the flavors of the lemons is one trick.

• Use fresh cumin seed, and not the pre-ground powder. There is a big difference in flavor when you toast the seeds to coax out their oils.

• And finally, donâ€t buy canned, pitted olives. Take the extra time to pit real Kalamatas yourself. I promise that youâ€ll be happy with the results!
Salad:

• 3/4 cup vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 cup English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced in 1/4 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions (about 1/2 of a small red onion)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (about 1/2 a bunch)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped mint (about 1/2 a bunch)
  • 6 cups hearts of romaine lettuce (about 3 hearts), torn roughly by hand
  • 2 pieces of pita bread
  • 2/3 cup sheepâ€s milk feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (about 12 olives)

Lemon vinaigrette:

• 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (about 1-2 cloves)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4 teaspoon toasted and freshly ground cumin (see below)
  • 2 ounces olive oil
  • 5 ounces extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Serves 6 as a side dish

To make the pita chips, preheat oven to 350˚. Trim edges off of the pita, keeping a circle shape, so that the pita can be split into two halves. Cut each half into 6 triangles and arrange on a baking sheet. Toast for approximately 12 minutes, or until the pita chips crisp up and are golden brown. Turn baking sheet halfway through baking. Set aside and cool. Break the chips into large pieces.

To make the vinaigrette, in a small saucepan over medium-heat, toast cumin until aromatic and light brown, approximately 3 minutes. Toss occasionally to prevent burning. Let cool and set aside. Grind in a spice grinder until cumin becomes almost like powder. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, cumin, extra virgin olive oil and olive oil. Season to taste with generous amount of salt and black pepper. Set aside.

To serve, toss romaine hearts, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, mint, cilantro, red onions and olives with the vinaigrette in a large bowl, making sure that the leaves are well coated with the vinaigrette. Divide the salad among 6 chilled salad plates. Serve immediately

tammy - this sounds so yummy! and you are too cute - from your last couple posts - it's pretty obvious what is on your mind in your 9th month!