Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe

MissJali

That's a great idea to get the prices in Pesos!

Have you received a quote from Apple's group department? I received an email from them yesterday but they require a $1k deposit to put group packages together. 

Originally Posted by MissJali View Post

In regards to your questions on travel agents. 

Apple Vacations has definitely been the fairest quote we've received. I'm waiting to see if I get better room quotes from someone who's actually out in Punta Cana and can possibly get me the prices in Pesos which tend to be lower if you are a local. Sad but true. I'm also very sneaky. I've booked my site visit(actually just an excuse to vacation) through cheapcaribbean.com and on my vouchers they've made the mistake of putting the travel company they use. I've sent them an email about arranging group packages and also with beachdestinations.com. I will definitely keep you updated. Worst comes to worst, I'm letting people book wherever they can and just asking them to email me their itinerary.

MissJali

Have you received a quote from Apple's group department? I received an email from them yesterday but they require a $1k deposit to put group packages together. 

Originally Posted by MissJali View Post

In regards to your questions on travel agents. 

Apple Vacations has definitely been the fairest quote we've received. I'm waiting to see if I get better room quotes from someone who's actually out in Punta Cana and can possibly get me the prices in Pesos which tend to be lower if you are a local. Sad but true. I'm also very sneaky. I've booked my site visit(actually just an excuse to vacation) through cheapcaribbean.com and on my vouchers they've made the mistake of putting the travel company they use. I've sent them an email about arranging group packages and also with beachdestinations.com. I will definitely keep you updated. Worst comes to worst, I'm letting people book wherever they can and just asking them to email me their itinerary.

Originally Posted by tricia-m View Post

Hello ladies! New to the thread but in the process of booking my wedding date. I haven't noticed (if you have, my apologies) but have any of you ladies booked private receptions with sit down dinners?

Happy planning all of you :)

Hi Tricia

All the wedding packages include sit down dinners...If you have a small group and dont want a reception (ie DJ, dancing, private), then they will make you a reservation at one of the restaurants for your group. However if you do want a "real" reception that is included and it can take place in either a ballroom, on the beach or an indoor/outdoor location called Bar Higuey.  At those receptions a three course meal is included in your package. They give you a list of different choices and you pick your menu. 

Originally Posted by tricia-m View Post

Hello ladies! New to the thread but in the process of booking my wedding date. I haven't noticed (if you have, my apologies) but have any of you ladies booked private receptions with sit down dinners?

Happy planning all of you :)

Hi Tricia

All the wedding packages include sit down dinners...If you have a small group and dont want a reception (ie DJ, dancing, private), then they will make you a reservation at one of the restaurants for your group. However if you do want a "real" reception that is included and it can take place in either a ballroom, on the beach or an indoor/outdoor location called Bar Higuey.  At those receptions a three course meal is included in your package. They give you a list of different choices and you pick your menu. 

Originally Posted by NettyD View Post

MissJali

Netty, 

I do have an Apple Vacations TA, but I probably won't be doing the group contract or room blocks. I was told it was $500 for the first 10 rooms and then it adds up in increments. So if you're reserving 20 rooms, I can very well see you having to put down that $1k. Mostly everyone coming are serial travelers anyway, so I think they'll be looking for the best prices out there. But I will give them a choice to go to the TA.

MissJali

Netty, 

I do have an Apple Vacations TA, but I probably won't be doing the group contract or room blocks. I was told it was $500 for the first 10 rooms and then it adds up in increments. So if you're reserving 20 rooms, I can very well see you having to put down that $1k. Mostly everyone coming are serial travelers anyway, so I think they'll be looking for the best prices out there. But I will give them a choice to go to the TA.

Netty in my experience with the whole TA experience I will say this. Although Apple Vacations and those big companies have competitve pricing in terms of group rates they not only ask for a large amount of money as a deposit but your literally on the hook for the rooms. So if you block off 20 rooms and have only 12 rooms booked you have to pay the difference. That was too much of a liability for me to hold. We opted to sign up for free with a local TA (Liberty Travel) as there were a few benefits. The main reason was because it allows people to pay their arrangements in payment plans as they choose. They have to have the balance paid in full 45 days before your travel date but for families of more than 2 it was a huge benefit not to drop thousands at one time but to pay it off little by little. Another benefit is that although I am sure your doing your own STD they do give you personalized one with all their info and all you and your grooms info to mail out which was cute. Also if you want your wedding guests in the same vacinity of the resort they can keep everyone togethe if you so choose. Also, they communicate with the resort if you have any immediate questions.  She crossed referenced her prices with the Barcelo website and other websites to ensure my guests got the cheapest rates. Of course in some situations it was still cheaper to go through an orbitz or travelocity and so some of my guests just did that. By and large I think the option is the way to go.  Good luck!

Netty in my experience with the whole TA experience I will say this. Although Apple Vacations and those big companies have competitve pricing in terms of group rates they not only ask for a large amount of money as a deposit but your literally on the hook for the rooms. So if you block off 20 rooms and have only 12 rooms booked you have to pay the difference. That was too much of a liability for me to hold. We opted to sign up for free with a local TA (Liberty Travel) as there were a few benefits. The main reason was because it allows people to pay their arrangements in payment plans as they choose. They have to have the balance paid in full 45 days before your travel date but for families of more than 2 it was a huge benefit not to drop thousands at one time but to pay it off little by little. Another benefit is that although I am sure your doing your own STD they do give you personalized one with all their info and all you and your grooms info to mail out which was cute. Also if you want your wedding guests in the same vacinity of the resort they can keep everyone togethe if you so choose. Also, they communicate with the resort if you have any immediate questions.  She crossed referenced her prices with the Barcelo website and other websites to ensure my guests got the cheapest rates. Of course in some situations it was still cheaper to go through an orbitz or travelocity and so some of my guests just did that. By and large I think the option is the way to go.  Good luck!

Thank you all for your help! I agree that there are Pros and Cons for using a TA... the organizing and not having to deal with travel arrangements for everyone ourselves is a very nice perk. But... being cost effective is most important.

I'm glad so many of you had good results with Apple! I am looking forward to speaking with them and finding out what kind of awesome rates they can come up with!!!

For you 2014 brides- have you received the higher rate packages? Where Strawberry is around $2900 and Tangerine around $4200? It went up a bit from the 2013 prices...

Diana-

I had some questions for you based on your awesome review! I copied it below from a few pages back. 

Hi NettyD!!

I am finalizing the date for my wedding at BBPD for June of '14. We have a small budget and it seems like after reading through a lot of this thread that there are a lot of fees that I didn't consider- and I think we're going to be closer to $10k for either a Strawberry or Tangerine package: for 50 ppl: DJ, Gold Photo package (we might just fly in a friend- $2500 is crazy but the silver package doesn't have enough coverage included), rooftop cocktail hour ($500?) and our package ($2k with flights and hotel stay) Would you say that is about right? We have to cover an additional $4k in travel expenses for other people which puts us at around $14k total so anything we can cut or maybe discover is actually included would be helpful!  rooftop cocktail is 500 only to get the space for yourself, in order to get waitresses bringing drinks and food it is 12 per person attending the cocktail. I dont know where you will be flying out from, my tix alone were 700 :S from Newark!

Did you have Tropical Pictures do your Videography- and if so would you mind sharing the cost? I think we might skip this as I read that the Gold package was $2500 which eats a lot of our budget!  yes! tropical pics did my video... I forgot the name of the one I pick, but it was 850. They have different options.

The reception area: how much of the decor does BBPD include? Were linens and place settings included in the main wedding package? I read that centerpieces were extra; but is that the only additional fee for the decor? mmmm with tangerine it includes the tablecloths and the chair satches (I didnt pick one). Place settings if you pick white are included, if you want gold, silver, clear those are extra. I brought everything else with me.... and Lianny included the mirrors for the centerpieces.... she didnt charge me for those. The drapes on the ceiling were included too.

How many dinner options are included in the reception? I believe I read one but wanted to confirm. One appetizer, one entree and one dessert... you have different options to pick from though. I dont remember the appetizer options but the entrees are: fish, chicken or steak.

The ceremony area: does BBPD include the runner and basic chairs as well as basic decor? Do they have a limit on chairs? You had your ceremony in the chapel so you might not know the answer to that one. I think it does include the basics... not sure though

How did you like the guitar trio if you had one? I wasnt there when they played because I was taking pics but people liked them... I didnt pay for sounds system so it was more of a background music than like a live concert LOL but people liked it

I'm sure I'll think of more questions! Thank you for any help you can offer! :) np!

Thank you all for your help! I agree that there are Pros and Cons for using a TA... the organizing and not having to deal with travel arrangements for everyone ourselves is a very nice perk. But... being cost effective is most important.

I'm glad so many of you had good results with Apple! I am looking forward to speaking with them and finding out what kind of awesome rates they can come up with!!!

For you 2014 brides- have you received the higher rate packages? Where Strawberry is around $2900 and Tangerine around $4200? It went up a bit from the 2013 prices...

Diana-

I had some questions for you based on your awesome review! I copied it below from a few pages back. 

Hi NettyD!!

I am finalizing the date for my wedding at BBPD for June of '14. We have a small budget and it seems like after reading through a lot of this thread that there are a lot of fees that I didn't consider- and I think we're going to be closer to $10k for either a Strawberry or Tangerine package: for 50 ppl: DJ, Gold Photo package (we might just fly in a friend- $2500 is crazy but the silver package doesn't have enough coverage included), rooftop cocktail hour ($500?) and our package ($2k with flights and hotel stay) Would you say that is about right? We have to cover an additional $4k in travel expenses for other people which puts us at around $14k total so anything we can cut or maybe discover is actually included would be helpful!  rooftop cocktail is 500 only to get the space for yourself, in order to get waitresses bringing drinks and food it is 12 per person attending the cocktail. I dont know where you will be flying out from, my tix alone were 700 :S from Newark!

Did you have Tropical Pictures do your Videography- and if so would you mind sharing the cost? I think we might skip this as I read that the Gold package was $2500 which eats a lot of our budget!  yes! tropical pics did my video... I forgot the name of the one I pick, but it was 850. They have different options.

The reception area: how much of the decor does BBPD include? Were linens and place settings included in the main wedding package? I read that centerpieces were extra; but is that the only additional fee for the decor? mmmm with tangerine it includes the tablecloths and the chair satches (I didnt pick one). Place settings if you pick white are included, if you want gold, silver, clear those are extra. I brought everything else with me.... and Lianny included the mirrors for the centerpieces.... she didnt charge me for those. The drapes on the ceiling were included too.

How many dinner options are included in the reception? I believe I read one but wanted to confirm. One appetizer, one entree and one dessert... you have different options to pick from though. I dont remember the appetizer options but the entrees are: fish, chicken or steak.

The ceremony area: does BBPD include the runner and basic chairs as well as basic decor? Do they have a limit on chairs? You had your ceremony in the chapel so you might not know the answer to that one. I think it does include the basics... not sure though

How did you like the guitar trio if you had one? I wasnt there when they played because I was taking pics but people liked them... I didnt pay for sounds system so it was more of a background music than like a live concert LOL but people liked it

I'm sure I'll think of more questions! Thank you for any help you can offer! :) np!