Why can't resorts just be up front with costs!

Aumuller

I'm sure there is a previous rant about this but I just feel so frustrated right now!

Everytime I try to pick a resort and I think oh this one is reasonable I find a bunch of different hidden fees. And why can't they all just have a brochure with all prices and information? It would save the wedding coordinators the 100 emails a day they get from us and save us the frustration!

And the prices they charge you for extras are completely ridiculous!! Its getting to the point that destination weddings won't be any cheaper than home weddings.

Thats all for my rant right now. Feels good to get some of it off my chest!

ugh...I sooooo agree! I have had many moments of "why are we doing this?! who do they think they are?!"

what makes me the maddest is that if they try and force you to use their vendors (to avoid a hefty fee) the vendors should at least be quality! I have heard so many complaints about the provided DJ at my resort that it makes me so mad! Apparently they are using a new one, but who know if he will be good? Also, I can't believe they want to charge extra for the DJ to MC?? I mean, isn't that part of their job? Considering I have to give him all the music I want (doing that part of his job) already!

Ok feel much better! Glad I got that off my chest!

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I feel the same way!! I'm still stuck on this whole resort decision because of it! Everytime I think I have it figured out and know what the total costs are and feel good picking a resort, I find out about a lot more fees and their random rules. Then back to square one. sad.gif

I agree -- it would be so much easier to just post all the info out there, then people wouldn't have to contact the wedding coordinators. And then have to wait *weeks* to hear back with specifics and answers to questions (most of which go un-answered anyways..) Ugh..It's just frustrating!

Yup - I'm getting there now too.  My latest "REALLY" is table cloths.  All the food is provided by the resort and they advertised it included plain white linens and place settings.  Sounds reasonable right?  Well come to find out, the table clothes aren't floor length so I have to rent them from an outside decor company.  I mean seriously, I understand if you want to fancy satin or organza cloths, but you can't even provide the standard?

I am running into the same problem. Ugh it is so frustrating. Right now, I feel like giving the DW up and heading to the local court house! You would think it would be way easier and pretty upfront considering a majority of the weddings held at hotels/resorts in Mexico are DWs! No, they still try to rip every bride off in one way or another. Sigh....I just don't know! I am going on 3 weeks of searching for the perfect place for us, and cost just keeps kicking my rear! cry.gif

Sorry to hear that Brides to Be!  I think I have found my place but I'm planning for a 2012 wedidng so I havent booked anything but I hope to not run into the same problems.

Tiffanya21 - dont give up. keep trying. what places have you considered so far? I'm also looking into Mexico as one of my DW locations.

Thank goodness we have this forum to compare with other brides!!

How did I found out about a huge price drop in my dinner price(from $49/plate to $26/plate!) that my WC never spoke of??  From a forum member getting married at my resort 3 months before me! 

I feel like the WC try and avoid answering requests and telling you prices so you will get fed up and concide to it.  It is actually having the opposite affect on me!  Now I am bartering for everything!!  I find the most frustrating thing is to wait 2, 3 even 4 weeks for a reply from my WC!  Or I ask her a few questions in an email and she only answers the first question!  I have actually missed out on buying some decor items because I was waiting to hear from my WC if she could offer a better price.  Now I am hauling a bunch of decor and other items with me because I am not paying $650 for slideshow equipment or $1300 for gazebo fabric/flowers!!!! 

It's just crazy how much they charge!  smile35.gif

My advice for any B2Bs is to start early and keep on your WC, once I told her I was feeling negleted and worried about her long stints between emails, she started to reply to me faster. Oh and check the thread for your resort often to see what prices other brides are getting.  Good Luck Girls! 

There will always be hidden costs. Even in planning a wedding at home you will find hidden costs. I think it is just the business in general. I am helping one of my friends plan her wedding locally and she has been having the same problems, the venue says linens and standard furniture for the banquet room are complimentary. The linens are hideous and stained and the chairs are these metal chairs like if you're in school!!! Basically you have to rent the decent stuff for a hefty fee! I have been going with her on her sites and when we meet with the people you can literally see the dollar signs in their eyes when we mention wedding. Its sad!

JetsettinBride, I originally was going to go with the Dreams Cancun Resort, but I find it extremely frustrating that the wedding coordinator never called me back. I emailed them for information, then called there 3 times, called the TA, and the hotel's general line. I left tons of messages and I haven't gotten a call back in 4 weeks!!! I want to save my date! Someone suggested the Westin or the Marriott. I found that the Marriott is more expensive than some other places I have looked at and liked more. I was going back and forth between all-inclusive and just European style, but right now, I am thinking AI is winning me over. I am looking into the Moon Palace right now, which seems to be pretty popular on here. Its gorgeous and decently priced. I also know someone who has been there and loved it so thats a plus too. Since your getting married in 2012, you have so much time to work out kinks. I waited until I was a year out to even start looking, and now I feel like I waited too long. Starting early is a great idea. Get your minds set on a resort then when it comes time to book, there is no stress because you already did your research! Good luck! cheers.gif

JanineA- Your right, but its horrible for us brides! Is it so wrong to ask for a little honesty??? hahaha

And people wonder why we become bridezillas! 

I've actually been very fortunate with my WC.  But I'm paying a hefty price (Atlantis in the Bahamas) so I feel like I should be getting good service.  its just all the other things!  Lindsey - I still haven't figured out AV equipment yet either (for the photo montage).  My WC said to check with my DJ because he could probably offer a better price.  At least she was honest.  There's only so much I can bring with me!