Is anyone out there planning a wedding at La Amada in Playa Mujeres?

jfuller

I'm planning my wedding for April 2011, and so far so good -- my only concern is whether there is anyone out there that's fit a party of 130+ for a sit down dinner at the hotel -- and if so which space was best? 

I'm headed down there for planning trip #2 in November, but I want to start thinking about these details now....let me know if anyone else is in planning mode!

Thanks

nervous bride :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I do not know much about this hotel. One of the best resources our their for hotels is the Del Sol Wiki. Located HERE. They have about 15 Slideshows from a variety of different locations in Playa Murjeres. I do not believe La Amada is one of them BUT! at least you could get familiar with what is the nor for hotels in that area. This way you have something to compare it to.

Who knows maybe you could be the first wedding they shoot their =) I always love seeing what new hotels look like through their photos. MUCH better then going to hotel websites.

I'm planning my wedding at La Amada for February 18, 2011! I'm having a MUCH smaller shindig, but I think they can certainly accommodate 130+ people at the La Aroma restaurant. They have a pretty big front of house and there's always the patio outside, as well. I was just down there about two weeks ago and had an amazing experience, so feel free to bounce ideas off me and I might bounce some off you, too! :-)

HI!  It's so good to know of someone else who's planning a wedding there!  I really hadn't wanted to do Aroma -- I'm hoping that we can either have the option of fitting in and around Isla Grill, or perhaps doing tables on the beach.....I'm headed back there over Thanksgiving to do some more planning, so hopefully I'll have it figured out then!

Are you using the minister supplied by the hotel?  Are you using the florist they supply as well?  Are you planning anything for the night before?'

Sorry for all the questions!  Thanks so much for your help :)

I feel the same way! There aren't too many of us! :-)   Out of curiosity, are you working with Denise Courtney from Tropical Wedding Experts? I live in NYC and she was here last night for a big bridal expo. We met up for drinks and she mentioned she was working on a 130-person wedding in April at La Amada in addition to mine. What a crazy coincidence if that's you! :-)   As for where to host the reception, I'm not sure how many people fit in and around Isla Grill. Maybe if everyone gets cozy? Another thought is the owner's suite. Ileana took my FI and me up there for a tour and damn, it's gorgeous! We were thinking of using it for our reception, but I'm SO SO SO in love with the Lupita Lounge.    One thing to consider with tables on the beach is that for some reason, that beach gets super windy toward to end of the day. BUT I was there a few weeks ago, maybe it's different in April? Maybe Ileana would have ideas on how to combat the wind?   We're actually not using the minister supplied by the hotel because we're non-denominational and we're doing a Mayan wedding ceremony instead of a traditional ceremony. I'm so psyched about it. And that's being arranged through Denise, our WC.   As fo florist, it'd be worth it to see who they use, but no, I wasn't planning on using there's. I'm working with Gabi from Planner 1 Events (through Denise again) for flowers and for furniture rentals (we opted to go with different furniture than what La Amada has, as well).   On the night before, we're doing a welcome dinner at La Amada. We're doing the Taste of Mexico buffet on the beach in the Palapa gazebo. I'm a little nervous about the wind on that one, too, but I figure it's casual, so no biggie. I'm thinking about DIYing some fabric panels to attach to the gazebo to kinda keep the wind out. Are you planning on a welcome dinner or something the night before?

Hi,

I'm getting married at La Amada early May 2011 and have approx. 130 guests too!  We are a little concerned about the seating at La Isla Grill and are considering having the entire wedding and reception at the Villa next door (but it costs $$$ to rent out).  I'll be there in November too to do a final tour, tasting, etc.

dmarr and tilliepiper, are you guys both in NYC?  It sounds like all three of us are planning weddings at La Amada next year -- we should all meet in person to discuss over drinks!!

thanks for both of your responses.  I DID talk to Denise at the bridal expo, I'm sure she was referring to me.  After talking to her, I'm now seriously considering using the Villa.  I think that 130 at Isla Grill is just way too packed.  And it seems like Denise and her caterers can help to bring down the costs in other areas (we can buy our own alcohol wholesale instead of paying the hotel markup). 

And thanks for the warning about the wind -- in all the pictures I see of weddings on the beach it looks like everyone is blowing around.  I have to do some serious brainstorming to figure out how to avoid that.  And I'll have to get some sort of idea about how windy it is that time of year!  I suspect it's more windy in the fall since its storm season. 

dmarr when are you headed down in November?  I'll be there over Thanksgiving weekend!

I'm definitely planning on doing a welcome dinner the night before, but I'm not sure on location yet -- perhaps since we're going to so stations, we'll do Isla Grill and the pool area??  I need to check w/ Ileana and Denise. 

Thank you both for all the suggestions/help!  We definitely have to keep this dialogue going!  Both of you guys let me know if you ever want to meet up in person.  I live in downtown NYC and work in midtown, and my schedule is always pretty flexible.