Outrageous discriminatory statement from wedding coordinator Priscilla Arminio from Prisar Vallarta

Since I live and here work, I would rather not comment on this specifically, but I did want to correct the translation a bit (not that it makes a huge difference, but still :) .... First, "me da mucho pena" a closer translation would be something along the lines of "although I am very embarrassed" with an emphasis on how hard it is for her to tell you this.  Second, she said she was a christian, not a catholic (in this particular email).  If she was saying she was a Catholic she would have used the term "catholicos" in place of "cristianos."  

Okay, I will make one comment :) - although I don't share or agree with Priscilla's convictions, I know both her and her husband personally - they are honestly a really kind, caring couple.  She could have done what other coordinators I know of have done which is tell you they are busy or their schedule is full, instead of giving you the honest answer.  Just something to think about - I DO understand where you are coming from and I completely understand why you would feel hurt.  But I do admire Priscilla for being honest with you, rather than taking an easy way out.  Just my two pesos worth....

• 1 month later...

Agreed :)   Marriage is an institution created by God (just read the Bible)  it wasn't a political or legal creation, but rather the joining together of a man and a woman before the eyes of God and the Church. 

Originally Posted by AfricanVenus View Post

I disagree with your opinion on her email. Marriage to some, including myself, is a spiritual/religious matter, not a civil one. Nothing in her statement came across as bigoted, hypocritical, or otherwise unseemly. Her beliefs form the basis of how she runs her business, and I can respect that. She is not going around picketing against gay marriage or being obnoxious from what I can tell. She's simply explaining her business practices.

While countries can legislate things, they cannot legislate people's heart and belief systems. I think she is trying to be respectful, but maintain her ground. That I can respect instead of going against her beliefs to feign some sort of acceptance or to keep her business afloat. I'm not trying to start some type of uproar on this forum or criticize your post. Just saying I disagree and hope you can respect it. Take care.

You need to check out Eventful Moments Vallarta at www.em-vallarta.com. They are very gay-friendly and can take care of all your needs, and one of the partners, is gay. They've done hundreds of gay wedding and recently announced news about it. I know their work has been on TV, and they are EXCELLENT. They did my wedding and I couldn't have asked for a better wedding planner. Everything was taken care of us, and within our budget. Call them! Ask for Zac!

• 2 months later...

So glad to see this post - albeit too late. I have already contacted Priscilla and have not heard a reply. I am OK to cross her off the list. I agree - it is good she was respectful. I am sure there are other coordinators who would be happy to have the business.

I am looking for a wedding coordinator in the PV area to help with coordination of my wedding and they MUST do same sex couples.

Check into The Dazzling Details and Mishka Designs. I haven't heard anything on either one of them having an opinion one way or another on the sexual orientation of their clients., what I don know is that they do really creative and fun events. I had talked to both of them and gotten some help and suggestions and wasn't even a client. Both were really nice and helpful and just truely seemed to want happy brides.

Even if you disagree, I gotta tell you: Priscilla did the day of my wedding the nicest day ever! and I am so grateful that she oganised my wedding the way she did. If she did not agree to coordinate yours, it is because of her christian beliefs. This is not the right way to put her up. Go see her webpage to see how many positive feedbacks she has from other brides who are totally happy with what she did! Knowing Priscilla I am sure she might recommended you other wedding coordinators who coordinate gay weddings.
Blessings.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, however Pris and Hector were my wedding coordinators for my 2008 wedding and they were nothing but professional, kind and went above and beyond anything I expected. Although I don't agree with her beliefs, I think they are amazing people and incredible wedding coordinators. I have nothing but positives to say about them. Mishka couldn't have expressed it better. She was not trying to be disrespectful or hateful.

I hope that your post does not deter PV brides from using their services.

I think that it should be noted that she is not an officiant, she is a wedding coordinator.   While it is a whole other debate whether  any officiant (religious or not) should perform gay marriage (civil or religious), she is not performing this marriage.  she simply arranges vendors and locations.  This is absolutely discriminatory behaviour.  While it may have been coached to sound "respectful".  A rose by any other name is still a rose.  In my humble opinion, your religious beliefs are not hampered by arranging fllorists or coordinating various suppliers. 

If she owned a restaurant, would it be acceptable to suggest that gay people (or any other group someone may not like) cannot dine there?  If she was racist, would it be acceptable for her to suggest that she would not perform a marriage for a couple of a different race, or an interracial couple.  If as a Catholic, she felt that every other religion was incorrect, or going to hell, would it be acceptable to suggest that she would not be their wedding planner. I would like to think that all of you answered that this kind of behaviour would not be acceptable in any other form of discrimination.  I don't care what excuse you use to defend what are discriminatory actions, or how "nicely" you phrase it, it is still wrong. 

I am sorry you have to go through this. Plannig a wedding is supposed to be a joyous occasion.  I hope you don't let this

That being said, I agree with the comment above, better to know how she feels, and not have her plan what is going to be a fabulous wedding. 

• 2 years later...

So, my partner and I were planning our amazing wedding in Puerto Vallarta to find our that there are vendors in Mexico who discriminates because of sexual orientation. A little bit of background here, in 1991, the Mexico Constitution was amended to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, among other factors. Therefore, it makes it illegal to discriminate someone because of her or his sexual orientation. I contacted Priscilla Arminio from Prisar Vallarta (www.prisarvallarta.com) and after exchanging emails, she finally got back to me with the following discriminatory statement, I will translate for you as it was in Spanish. 

Spanish version as it was sent by her on October 12, 2011: 

Hola

Me da mucha pena pero aún y cuando respetamos y no juzgamos los matrimonios gays, somos cristianos y no compartimos esa convicción, que como te repito respeto. Desde que iniciamos hacer bodas mi esposo y yo acordamos no organizar estos matrimonios ya que van en contra de nuestras creencias. 

espero me comprendas!

Saludos

Priscilla Arminio

English version: 

I am really sorry, but while we respect and don't judge gay marriage, we are catholics and we don;t share that conviction, although we respect. Since we begun our business, my husband and I agreed not to coordinate gay marriage because it goes against our believes. 

I hope you understand.

Regards,

Priscilla Arminio

So, let me analyze this, a marriage it is not a religious matter, it is a civil right matter we are still trying to fight here in US to get equal rights. A marriage is about love. By the way, I am catholic too, raised under the roman catholic church but I am also gay, it is who I am and I am proud of that. I want to marry the person I love and it really makes me sick to hear discriminatory statements like this. Because someone that uses her religious believes can certainly discriminates someone of a different religious or different skin color, where does it stop? We all come in different shapes and forms and it is about time we stop discriminating each other. 

Priscilla's email is disgusting and discriminatory, it is insulting and unnecessary. Hope you don't do business with her and don't support the business of a person who clearly thinks gay people don't deserve the same rights. 

FYI It says Christians, not catholics. I'm sorry to hear this though,