When should I go dress shopping?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy15

• 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering when would be the right time to go dress shopping. My friends are telling me to do it asap, but I think it can wait until next year (jan/feb). We leave to the Bahamas at the end of May. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!! :)

#2 sunstarsmoon

• 2,233 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:26 AM

I would take your friends advice, some wedding dresses take 6 months to come to the bridal salon after ordering.  I am getting married July , 2011 and the bridal salon told me that I need to come in to the salon in december to make sure the dress arrives in time!

July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#3 Teira1031

• 766 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:45 AM

I wouldn't wait any longer than 6 months to have it ordered unless you're gettig it from davids bridal which I think is more like 3 months but I wouldn't push your luck because it would be horrible to bother your dress in time

#4 clgriffi7

• Banned
        • 630 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

I say the sooner the better.  You never know how long it will take to find that perfect dress.  But like the other ladies have said - you do not need the stress of cutting it close with your dress.  And don't forget to factor in alteration time - that could be up to a month.

#5 L&J

• 153 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Go now.  It will take time to get the dress in and altered 

Tensing Pen, Negril Jamaica, November 13th, 2010

#6 JanineA

• 2,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

If I were you I would start shopping soon. Some dresses take at least 6 months to come in, my dress took 8, it all depends on the bridal salon and the dress you choose. Not to mention you also want to try on  few dresses and see what looks good on you. Also you want to allow time for alterations. I thought my dress would fit perfectly because I ordered a custom dress and it was being made to my size but I have lost weight since first ordering it and now it has to be altered. Why put off for next year what you can do this year. 

#7 Aumuller

• 365 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

I definitely think 6 months is a minimum if you want to order a dress. If you plan on buying off the rack then Jan/Feb should be fine. But you also have to consider alterations time. I'm not getting married till March 2012 and I already want to buy my dress! I can't believe you have the patience to wait! ha ha

#8 Cindy15

• 48 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

Thank you ladies!! I've decided to go dress shopping very soon! I wanted to wait because I didnt want to get something and then see something else and regret my decision. I'm afraid i'll never want to stop shopping until I've tried or seen it all. That's why I wanted to leave it last minute. But you guys are all right! Thanks again ladies! :)

#9 Mrs. LowUFO

Mrs. LowUFO
                  • 110 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Hey - I agree with the ladies - the sooner the better. Depending on what salon you are going to and who the designer will be will determine time. Generally I've heard about 6/7 months and then up to 2 months for fittings (depending on how much you get altered).

There will always be new dresses coming out, but once you find the perfect dress you won't care what else is coming out because you'll be so happy you found something. But my word of advice is one you pick a dress, stop looking.

Have fun!!

#10 sm8022

• Banned
                    • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Im getting married June 18th of next year and i have to order it this month if i want it to be here in time for alterations.  I"ll get teh dress mid april.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users