Hurrican Dean- Jamaica & Cancun Brides- lets keep our fingers crossed

Thanks for your advice, however, I am from Canada and it takes a lot more than just going off to get married here, its actually a few months before its recognized, as we already looked into this option when we considered Mexico before Jamaica and just too much work with blood tests and paperwork...

I have spoken directly to the resort today and evacuation is being done right now and they tell me to go cancel my plans for a week away as it will be hit, at this point nobody knows to what severity~ UGH..reality is that it will more than likely have to be completely re-planned again..I am trying to stay positive but it does not look good..I agree that the news always exaggerates stuff but this time, the resort is quite scared at this point and there are 800 tourists there right now stuck on their 4 resorts that they can not send home at this time so they are preparing for the worse..Jamaica has a "laid back attitude" most of the time but this time, they are truly very frightened at what is to come..I am trying to face the devestation that may come tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed for the people of Jamaica at this time..

Realty is that the small island is unlike the States in quick recovery and in fact Jamaica may suffer for a LONG time due to Dean..I am just trying to get things into perspective and should I have to re-schedule (I will decide this tomorrow) what my future plans could possibly be..

Thanks for your advice, I am quite afraid that no amount of praying at this point will change the fact that Jamaica is now aimed at a direct hit, the severity we are not sure but the evitability is evident~

Thanks..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Nadine and TRista i am so sorry you are dealing with mother nature in such a horrible way. This is terrible and I really feel for all the natives who live on the island as well... I really hope the news is overexgerting and if not I hope the damage isn't dvistating.

All we can do is hope for the best... I'm sure you're glued to the news girls. Agh, this is not good at all grouphug.gif

Give us projects & we'll be all over it. You know how much people on this forum like planning weddings! I can easily devert attention away from my wedding for a while & help you replan yours if that's what you end up needing to do. I think there will be a lot of people on the forum who would love to help out. Especially us girls who still have almost a year until our wedding. If you have a team of us hunting for photographers, new location, etc. it won't be like starting from scratch.

What are you looking for in an alternative location? What locations are you considering?

Moran...Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart~

As much as I would love to go to Mexico, there is too much paperwork to get married there from a Canadian's perspective..With that said, I would like to seek something that is comparable to Couples Swept Away in the fact that its an all inclusive, adult only as its just the two of us, and something that has a large beach but this may sound strange but, I do not want a highrise type of hotel, so something intimate and not a large chain for a hotel as RIU or others similar..

hmmmm, I don't think a little Island will be as affordable and as far as a photographer goes, that is the HARD part, we have researched for over a year for a fantastic photographer to give us a photojournalistic style, some of my favorites have been Sol & Matt, Leigh, or something of that style..UGH...

I guess we are open to suggestions on resorts that are not overly priced yet intimate and are all inclusive, it may sound bad but our photographer is one of the most important decisions as our families are not going to be with us, so we very carefully planned to have a fantastic package for the day of and TTD session the next day..

We had booked everything to leave August 31 and return on Sept 11th..WE have not yet looked into getting our money back but we did buy trip insurance as we knew we would be travelling during hurricane season but never once did it cross our minds with fear..

Our holidays have been booked for almost a year, we just dealt with a flood (posted a few weeks ago) so we are truly beginning to wonder our luck at this point..

Thanking anyone that attempts to help us at this point..Jamaica is stated that with what they are predicting, it could be many months to recover from this predicted hurricane disaster so its almost evitable that it will hit and the country will not be able to accept visitors without loss of power and water and resources, with a planned vacation of leaving in less than 2 weeks, it does not look good at this point..

I feel so bad for many brides destined for Jamaica within the next few months and I pray that Dean does not hit as predicted towards Mexico bordering Texas..

Any help is appreciated, we will have to change travel plans probably ASAP, most people are cancelling their Jamaican plans today ..ARGH..

Thanks girls, this site truly is amazing...

Trista

I realized what I said about a mexican wedding earlier may not have been clear. Because getting married in mexico does have so many requirements, bloodworks & costs, a lot of us have decided to go to the courthouse & getting married legally here before flying to mexico. The ceremony there would be a renewal of vows, but still performed like any other ceremony. Doing it this way might relieve some stress. I wanted the option to have my ceremony how I wanted & not have to do the legal mexican ceremony, so I plan on doing it this way.

I'm really worried about the hurricane too and my wedding is still 6 months away, so I totally feel for you ladies with upcoming weddings!! Let's just pray that the damage won't be that bad, and pray for the safety of everyone down there right now... at this point that's all we can do... the latest I am reading is it will be a Cat 5 when it hits Jamaica.. I feel so terrible and worried!! msncry.gif