Sallee's Costa Rica planning thread

Most girls seem to be doing this after the wedding, but I am just so excited I wanted to share everything with you guys as I go along.....

This is how we chose our destination wedding......

Over the last eleven years there have been lots of destinations discussed so I will give you a sneak preview on some of these.....

I have wanted to get married abroad for as long as I can remember..... Even as a little girl I always said that I would get married at Niagara Falls.

WeddingNiagaraFalls.jpg

When I met Lee we were so alike in so many ways, he also wanted to get married abroad so our wedding could be for US and we wouldn't have to worry about pleasing everyone else. So when Lee proposed I knew we would have our dream of a destination wedding, I just didn't realize how long we would wait for it !! We have now been engaged for eleven and a half years.....I decided to do some research on possible Wedding Locations as myself and Lee love our holidays we decided that we would probably be looking for a beach location.

When I met Lee we were so alike in so many ways, he also wanted to get married abroad so our wedding could be for US and we wouldn't have to worry about pleasing everyone else. So when Lee proposed I knew we would have our dream of a destination wedding, I just didn't realize how long we would wait for it !!

We have now been engaged for eleven and a half years........... well you've got to be sure haven't you.Whilst browsing the Internet I came across this website

The ladies on here are amazing and really know their stuff, everyone is so friendly and willing to share their ideas and experiences. I was hooked !!

One of the resorts that stood out to us when we researching was the RIU Ochos Rios in Jamaica. I completely fell in love with this place and we headed off to do a Recce in October 2009. We even watched a fellow BDW member's wedding....... so beautiful. There is a choice of two locations to marry at this resort....

rorpond.jpg

rorbeach.jpg 

We had the most amazing holiday there and would go back in a heartbeat but when the time came to chose a final wedding location we decided that this was not the place for our wedding.....we wanted somewhere completely new that neither of had been to before.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Lee's big dreams has been to move to Canada. When there was a chance that I might be made redundant in the Summer of 2009 Lee applied for a job in Alberta,Canada. He got the job, we sold our house and prepared for our big move over the pond.
OK so we thought maybe no longer a Caribbean wedding, we will make it a mountain wedding and the possibilities were immense !!!!

Lake Louise is just beautiful, and the Hotel there is amazing

lakelouise.jpg

or there was Waterton and the Prince of Wales Hotel

waterton.jpg

The list of beautiful lakes and mountain views was endless........ and I would have been happy with any one of these but the dream was to come to an end. Lee was really unhappy in his job and with a heavy heart we moved back to the UK.

And so the the search began again

We decided that if we were going to chose a beach location then we wanted it to be somewhere that we hadn't been on holiday. This ruled out Cuba, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic .......

We have both always wanted to go to Antigua so we looked at the Jolly Beach Resort

jollybeach.jpg

The wedding coordinator there Beverly Knight is fantastic she answered all of my questions promptly even though I hadn't booked anything with them she emailed me several times over a 3 day period and even when we decided not to use this resort she wished us a beautiful wedding day. 

So on our mission to find somewhere completely different we looked at Costa Rica after seeing it raved about on lots of travel forums... the beaches are beautiful but don't be fooled into expecting white sand here. Costa Rica is for the adventurous who like to try something different. It is bordered by Nicaragua to the North, Panama to the East & South and both the Pacific and Caribbean sea's.

So we have decided on a country and have also seen a fantastic hotel.....
The RIU Guanacaste

riu_guanacaste_costa_rica.jpg 

My only concern at this stage is that there are not any travel agents in the UK who are able to arrange the wedding. Time for more research ...... Thank you BDW

US & Canadian brides book their weddings directly with the hotel and they seem to have more say and control over things, I'm sure I can manage that from the UK..... lets go for it !!

Step 1 visit website www.weddingsbyriu.com
here you can look at the different packages offered by each of the RIU hotel's once you have decided on your chosen resort move on to the next step

Step 2 on the right hand side of the page you will see a section for wedding request with a drop down box for you select your chosen destination, this will take you to the information you need on your hotel and the wedding packages available for your special day. There are prices available for both 2010, 2011 & 2012 on all packages. Once you have selected a package enter this into the second drop down box on the right.

The Classic Wedding Package 2011 includes:

* Wedding Planner to assist you in your special day
* Decoration set up for the ceremony location
* Bridal Bouquet and matching boutonniere for the groom
* CD or recorded music during the ceremony
* Semi private dinner for the couple at one of our specialty restaurants
* Wedding cake for the couple
* Sparkling wine for the couple (during the main toast only)
* Surprise spa gift
* Ten percent discount on all spa services for bride and groom
* Minister/Judge service & wedding certificate
* Witnesses

The Classic Wedding Package is available only for the bride and the groom.

RIU Free Wedding Package 2011 includes:

* Bridal Bouquet
* Matching boutonniere for the groom
* Semi private dinner for the couple and wedding guests at one of our specialty restaurants
* Wedding cake for the couple and 10 wedding guests or less
* Sparkling wine for the couple and 10 wedding guests or less (during the main toast only)
* Special decoration in the room
* Witnesses if required
* 10% discount on all Spa treatments for the bride and groom.
* 10% discount on all Spa treatments for the wedding guests (available only if reserved online at www.renovaspa.com/reservations.htm)

* MINISTER OR JUDGE FEES & DOCUMENTATION ARE NOT INCLUDED, THEREFORE THE COUPLE MUST COVER THE AMOUNT FOR THOSE SERVICES.

* IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR A FREE WEDDING PACKAGE IN THIS HOTEL YOU MUST BOOK 5 OR MORE ROOMS.

<strong>RIU Royal Wedding Package 2011 </strong>includes:

* Bridal Bouquet
* Semi private dinner for the couple and wedding guests at one of our specialty restaurants
* Wedding cake for the couple and 15 wedding guests or less
* Sparkling wine for the couple and 15 wedding guests or less (during the main toast only)
* Witnesses if required
* Minister/Judge service
* Marriage certificate
* Complimentary room upgrade for the wedding couple subject to availability upon arrival (External Jacuzzi Suites are not included)
* Riu “T- Shirts†for bride and groom
* Surprise gift
* Romantic massage for bride and groom
* 10% discount on all Spa treatments for the wedding guests (available only if reserved online at www.renovaspa.com/reservations.htm)

RIU Caprice Wedding Package 2011 includes:

* Bridal Bouquet
* Wedding cake for the couple and 40 wedding guests or less
* Sparkling wine for the couple and 40 wedding guests or less (during the main toast only)
* Witnesses if required
* Minister/Judge service
* Marriage certificate
* Complimentary room upgrade for the wedding couple subject to availability upon arrival (External Jacuzzi Suites are not included)
* Riu “T- Shirts†for bride and groom
* Surprise gift
* Romantic massage for bride and groom
* Hairstyle for the bride
* Manicure for the bride
* Pedicure for the bride
* Late check out for the wedding couple subject to availability
* Breakfast in bed the morning after the wedding
* Fruit with chocolate & bottle of sparkling wine.
* Two bags of petals

Step 3 select the type of ceremony required. Religious Wedding, Civil/Legal Wedding or Renewal of Vows/Symbolic. Select the Hotel you require and click check availability.

Step 4 select the date that you would like your ceremony. Remember that you must arrive at the resort at least 2 full business days prior to your wedding.

Step 5 you will then be asked for the time that you would like your wedding ceremony to take place, the location you would like the ceremony to take place, the number of guests that will be attending and your contact details. All of this information is then sent to your hotel of choice.

Step 6 You will be contacted by the Sales Executive who will ask you to confirm the information provided online is correct, they will then check the availability of the Judge/Minister, Ceremony slot and date.

Step 7 Once your dates have been checked for availability you will recieve an email with a confirmation code. Once you have this you can book your rooms and flights.

Step 8 Book your rooms and flights for yourselves and any guests. The RIU's rules state that 80% of the wedding party must be staying at the hotel.

Step 9 You will need to go to the RIU website www.weddingsbyriu.com and enter your confirmation code on the right hand side under Wedding Confirmation Code. You will be taken through a series of questions on the bride & groom (name, dob, parents names, birth place) you will then be asked to provide details of your room bookings and a credit card number as confirmation.

Step 10 Once this information has been recieved by the hotel you will recieve an email with a wedding confirmation voucher. Your wedding is booked.

So the holiday has been booked and confirmed...... the wedding has been booked and I have received my confirmation voucher.

Time to shop !!

First stop jewelers. I knew I didn't want just a plain band as I will not be wearing an E/Ring with it.... I tried on nearly every ring in the shop and fell in love with this one.

ring.jpg

It is platinum with 3 rows of diamonds. I LOVE IT !!!!

Wow. You've done a ton of research.  Congratulations on finally getting to plan your wedding.

I'm also a Costa Rica bride.  When are you getting married?  June 22,2011 at the Paradisus Playa Conchal for us.  At least that's what we have booked.  The hotel is going to be changing Management so I may have to go looking for a new resort.  I look forward to reading your updates.  

Hi Rem dog

We get married on March 14th 2011 @ 3pm.

Good Luck with your venue, hope everything goes well for you

sally

Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Wow. You've done a ton of research.  Congratulations on finally getting to plan your wedding.

I'm also a Costa Rica bride.  When are you getting married?  June 22,2011 at the Paradisus Playa Conchal for us.  At least that's what we have booked.  The hotel is going to be changing Management so I may have to go looking for a new resort.  I look forward to reading your updates.