Opinions needed! Riviera Maya Wedding - what's better, June/July or early October?

1106wedding

We took these last year when hurricane (Alex I think) missed us here in the Mayan Riviera... but stirred up some fantastic skies and once in a lifetime pictures! We loved it... and so did Nicole and Kurt who are also BDW members!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MTM, It looks to me like that bride and groom were much too busy to notice the weather.  cheesy.gif  I have noticed this with wedding guests at rainy weddings as well, they always seem to be having so much fun I am not sure if they ever even notice the fact that it is raining at all!

I personally make no claims to be an expert on the weather but since I will be photographing a really sweet couple tomorrow I have had one eye on the sky all morning and blazing sunshine has alternated with dark and overcast about 5 times already today! You just never know!  The one thing I do know is that you can't go by the weather channel forecast on the iphone, it almost always shows rain even when the weather is fantastic.

This year I also photographed some events with crazy, crazy weather, it really was a year for that I think, and they seemed to have been spread out in different months. I think that there are so many factors involved in scheduling a wedding and probability of rain is only one of them. It was fun to see that Matt and Sol were also shooting as Ivan passed by offshore Donna and Patrick's wedding had Ivan's crazy weather making things interesting for us as well that day, but it was still an amazing time. love.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good overview of the weather you can expect during the different times of the year from trip advisor. I think it is really important to make the distinction between an actual hurricane that makes landfall and threatened hurricanes like the one that caused Matt's Island wedding to be relocated or those that pass by offshore like Ivan. Actual hurricanes are so very rare (I have experienced two in 27 years) but when they do hit all bets are off. sad.gif  

Sheesh Matt!! Thanks for bursting my bubble of optimism. LOL Hurricane season or no hurricane season, I picked Oct 8th because it's columbus day weekend and most of my guest are teachers and/or are bringing their children, so that date works in providing a 3-4 weekend for guests. God is good.... he knows I've waited all my life for this day, therefore..... It will be a beautiful weekend. NO HURRICANES!! LOL If it so happens that mother nature decides to throw a hurricane or tropical storm my way..... Guest better not complain because they're the reason I picked such a convenient weekend.

Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post

Sheesh Matt!! Thanks for bursting my bubble of optimism. LOL Hurricane season or no hurricane season, I picked Oct 8th because it's columbus day weekend and most of my guest are teachers and/or are bringing their children, so that date works in providing a 3-4 weekend for guests. God is good.... he knows I've waited all my life for this day, therefore..... It will be a beautiful weekend. NO HURRICANES!! LOL If it so happens that mother nature decides to throw a hurricane or tropical storm my way..... Guest better not complain because they're the reason I picked such a convenient weekend.

Elizabeth is right...  If the storm passes and is a few hundred miles away, then its all golden (in terms of the wrath).... wind and rain won't crush a wedding day...  Remember, rain + wedding photography = super unique and outside the box.

del_Sol_Photography_Trasht_the_dress_09.jpg

No matter what, your love story together is will be the big headlines :)

We still live here during hurricane season, so obviously we are up for the risk

We wanted to have our wedding sometime during the summer next year after graduation for the both of us.  Our planner advised us to keep out of hurricane season to look towards Memorial Day - 4th of July because the waters are not warm enough for them to form.  She said many hurricanes over the years starting forming around the second week of July but that does not mean you are free of storms at anytime between May 1 - December 1.  And she also told us to not "bank on hotels with hurricane guarantees" because of the fine print where the storm has to hit the hotel you are in, not just the destination.  I know she gave us a couple of personal experiences traveling during the summer and I think even through October.  That gave us the comfort to take at face value what she was saying.  One more thing, she gave us a website on weather that we could look back up to five years of information on the date we are looking at.  I don't want to get into trouble regarding posting a website but the company name is Weather Underground.  What we did was enter in the city, and I believe it was towards the bottom of the page a date thing you can change.  Then it shows you what the weather was like on that date whatever year you pick.  It allowed us to narrow it down, but we are waiting for all of our resort choices to come back with open dates.

The truth of the matter is... its something you can't control as our last April showed and it rained for a week SOLID! Not a single day of sunshine and constant downpour!!!

I don't claim to be an expert on the matter as I defer to the weather stations and news to find out what is happening, or better yet happend! They mess it up more than half the time! haha I think the experts are actually monkeys opening up bananas that have "Sunny" or "Rain" pieces of paper in them. Most times it reads rain here and its sunny day after day.

This is a fantastic thread though... because as Matt & Sol, Medina and Lori and I have shown over and over... storms can bring out the best in your wedding and the best of your photographer! We should actually start a "Storm Thread"... so we can see wonderful pictures that we were able to capture. What most brides dread... those with talent behind the lens are able to turn into a piece of art that they can enjoy forever!

image1932.jpg

Originally Posted by Moments That Matter View Post

The truth of the matter is... its something you can't control as our last April showed and it rained for a week SOLID! Not a single day of sunshine and constant downpour!!!

I don't claim to be an expert on the matter as I defer to the weather stations and news to find out what is happening, or better yet happend! They mess it up more than half the time! haha I think the experts are actually monkeys opening up bananas that have "Sunny" or "Rain" pieces of paper in them. Most times it reads rain here and its sunny day after day.

This is a fantastic thread though... because as Matt & Sol, Medina and Lori and I have shown over and over... storms can bring out the best in your wedding and the best of your photographer! We should actually start a "Storm Thread"... so we can see wonderful pictures that we were able to capture. What most brides dread... those with talent behind the lens are able to turn into a piece of art that they can enjoy forever!

image1932.jpg

Love your work!! These rain/storm photos are amazing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have booked my wedding for 21st October 2011 not realising it was hurricane season and I am now worrying!!!!!!! Are there any brides out there that got married in October and what was the weather like on your day?huh.gif?/ The photos do look fab. but I would prefer to have sunshine on the beach if I can LOL, we booked Mexico because we wanted to get away from the rain (we are from the UK) so we have plenty of rain.... all year round. :-(

I was just there at the beginning of September. The day we landed it was overcast, but still nice. the next day it was bright and sunny and the next day it was bright and sunny and out of the blue a rain storm moved in but it last 15 minutes and then it was bright and sunny again and didn't rain the rest of our stay. When it rains it only rains for a little while usually unless it's just that one major storm that sticks around, but I wouldn't stress about it. I think everything will be lovely.

I've just put deposits down for October 22nd and 23rd 2011 so I'm right there with ya! I'm checking the weather every day this month and making a "log" - so far so good! They seem to predict more rain than actually falls. What resort did you book? You and I and plently of other October 2011 brides will be doing the no-rain dance for the next year. I'm feeling positive that we'll have GREAT weather!!

Originally Posted by samcalv1 View Post

Hi Guys

I have booked my wedding for 21st October 2011 not realising it was hurricane season and I am now worrying!!!!!!! Are there any brides out there that got married in October and what was the weather like on your day?huh.gif?/ The photos do look fab. but I would prefer to have sunshine on the beach if I can LOL, we booked Mexico because we wanted to get away from the rain (we are from the UK) so we have plenty of rain.... all year round. :-(