Photo

POLL: What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 MsClarke724

MsClarke724
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Ultimately up to you, but it just depends on your relationship with them.  I could never get married without my parents present (for myself).  What if you do a justice of the peace wedding before your trip so that your parents could be present, do the "not legal" ceremony as planned at your destination, and then parents can celebrate at AHR??

#12 ariesgrl

ariesgrl
    • 45 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Sorry to hear of the news! I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.  My guests and I are taking a cruise and when we arrive in Puerto Vallarta (first destination) we are having our ceremony and reception take place their.  Obviously a legal marriage wont work out in my situation because of the time limit, so we decided to have a legal ceremony when we get back.  I felt the same way as you did, if I had a ceremony before my dream wedding, it would take away the special excitment we are supposed to feel.  Now I am excited because I get to wear my dress twice :) We are having a garden wedding when we return 2 weeks after our trip.  His family is not attending the cruise but they will all be at the ceremony that will take place when we return.  We are not having a reception because i dont want to pay out twice, we are just having the ceremony and refreshments and light trayed foods for a social hour. 

Good luck with what ever you decide :)

#13 delgadot

delgadot
      • 284 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Wow I know that I am late on this post but that is a very difficult situation. I would consider having a legal ceremony at home so both of your parents can be present and still move forward with the DW and AHR. You just don't want to look back at this experience and regret not having your dad to give you away. But it is ultimately what you and your FI want, I hope things work out for you.  

#14 ablj209

ablj209
        • 218 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

I got some fantastic news!  My parents met with my Dad's oncologist on Friday and now that he's 3/4 of the way through his treatments, they asked again about him travelling in February.  The oncologist said that he's doing amazing, he's had no setbacks at all, no real "chemo" symptoms (naseau etc).  He said medically there is no reason he can't travel and in fact had even recommended my Dad go to the Dominican!!! 

Woohoo!  Looks like it all worked out in the end!  My mom is now calling around to get quotes (travel insurance will still be high, but they will pay whatever they have to).   She has an issue with my Travel Agent, but I'm trying to talk her into using the same one so that they'll be part of the group and hopefully they're room will be in the same area and not on the other side of the hotel. They are doing some number crunching and deciding if they will come down for 4 days (thurs-sun) or the full week with everyone else!

#15 bride2be31011

bride2be31011
          • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

That's great news! Glad everything is going to work out for you to have the wedding th at you want with your parents there! :) 

#16 Iamalldiva

Iamalldiva
            • 163 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:14 AM

GREAT news!!!  Glad to hear your dad is doing better and he & your mom will be able to make the wedding!  Now your perfect day has just been made better!

#17 delgadot

delgadot
              • 284 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

Great to hear! I am so happy for you!!!

#18 ablj209

ablj209
                • 218 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yay!, my parents have officially booked for the full week (they still chose to use their own TA), but that's OK... my dad will get to walk me down the aisle, and both my parents will be there to share our day!!!

#19 jana297

jana297
                  • 646 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

That is great that they will be there to share your day!!

My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and are refusing to go to our wedding! It makes me sad but it will still be a special day!!

Dreams Cacun Resort & Spa
                    April 6, 2012

#20 delgadot

delgadot
                    • 284 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that:( But you have a great attitude because you are right your day will still be special!!

That is great that they will be there to share your day!!

My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and are refusing to go to our wedding! It makes me sad but it will still be a special day!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users