Sign in to follow this  
jystar13

photography??? use the resorts or hire your own??? help!

I totally agree with both Jystar and Elizabeth on this one...  If photography is important to you and you want  great photos, then hire an outside photographer.

Three things I would like to add.

-Try to talk to them on the phone or skype... you want to make sure you can communicate well with them before you hire them as they will be directing you on a day when you want things to go smoothly...

-Ask for references. Good experienced photographers will have them and their clients will be more than happy to say good things about them.

-Look in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera for a photographer before bringing someone who wants to 'build their portfolio'... Taking someone who does not have much experience to an area that they have never photographed to shoot something they have never or seldom photographed before is quite the gamble. You are going to have to pay these people at least the cost of their plane ticket and accommodation as well as some extra money in order for them to work on the photos postproduction when they get back (btw. Post production takes 1-3 times the amount of time you shoot.. so a 5 hour day is can mean 5-15 hours of post depending on how experienced the shooter is. The less experienced, the more time. And if you are doing this to save money, you are hiring someone less experienced, right? )  I would rather see couples take that money and look for someone down there…  ok, Iâ€m going to jump off my soap box now :) 

i hope this helps you (and others)...

-dean

Thank you jystar! I know you will find the right photographer for your day. :-)

I am going to jump back in because I think my comments are being taken in a way that I really did not mean them to be... I would be the very last person to "bash" any hardworking professional wedding photographer! I really do not think you can pre judge all resort photographers and certainly quality and experience varies among the independent photographers as well. Sometimes they are even the same people who are sometimes freelance and sometimes contracted to a resort! Either way if at all possible it is good to get an idea of the complete coverage from multiple events, not just a few sample website images.  :-) 

We get 10 free photos in with our package, but i have heard they dont turn out to be the greatest photos. My wedding is only a small group and so we will take lots of our owns photos. My parents are going to video record the ceremony too.

The better way to find the photographer you may like it is just 2 points budget, style, but here you will find lots of great options.

Martin

I totally agree!  We have preached from the start, know your photographer, know the style, know the customer service and set ALL EXPECTATIONS from the start, otherwise its a tough gamble.

Whenever possible, we send FULL wedding slideshows to all of our inquiring brides showcasing folios of certain hotels and if possible, matching whichever photographer they are interested in so they can really visualize what is happening!

Regardless, there going to be a NIGHT and day difference between hotel vs non hotel photo outfits.   Generally, the hotel concession photographers do not use lots of lenses, they do not bring backup equipment (i'm only speaking about the hundreds of weddings i've witnessed these kinds of photographers working at" where they use one camera body and one lens.     If their camera breaks, they have to run back to the photo shop to get a backup or replacement...doh!  Missed moments.

Good luck!

cheers,

This is a great question!  Personally, I've been looking at it this way...I know I can find a great local photographer who I could fly to my DW and shoot my wedding.  But if I can find a photographer at my DW location who is comparable in price, I would chose the "island photographer" because he/she would know the hotel and sites very well.  Either way...I'm definitely not using the photographer provided by the hotel. 

I agree with the other responses.... choose wisely! I have heard horror stories. One of my friends married in Cancun never received their album. Luckily they got the disc of pictures and my best friend is a photog and offered to create an album for them at cost.  Since my friend is a wedding photog I hired her assistant to photograph our wedding, reception and our TTD the following day. This was MUCH cheaper than the photographers I scouted out in the Riviera Maya. And I knew I wouldn't be disappointed which was more important. I paid a total of $1800 which included airfare and hotel, and have access to all of the raw files which is priceless!  Photos are super important and I have yet to go through all of ours,  but I was also not willing to pay upwards of $5,000 for one day! So, do your homework, get referrals... do not use someone that has received a horrible review on this forum. The brides are very honest which is so helpful! Good luck to you and happy planning! 

Photography is really important to me, and although our budget for the wedding is pretty small, I'll use a large part of it on the photographer. I think Elizabeth gave some fantastic advice.

Another important point: These days Latinoamerican photographers,  have nothing to ask to photographers from around the world. We are constantly preparing, learning and improving ourselves every day.

Thank you for your trust.

Gonzalo