Photo

Book Club 2010

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#161 Canadiansandy

Canadiansandy
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Yikes! Can't believe I haven't written a review or answered any questions yet. Sorry ladies! I read Room quite a while back, when we first chose it, and have read a couple other books since, so it's not really at the forefront of my mind. I have to say (don't worry, no spoilers), I just finished Sarah's Key and I LOVED it. Such a moving book, and a real page-turner.

Now for Room! I really liked this book, I couldn't put it down. I was dying to know how it would end, and I think overall I'm happy with the way it ended. I liked that there was some closure by visiting Room after the escape. But I was a bit disappointed that we didn't have more information about Old Nick, or his side of the story. Maybe it didn't matter as a whole, but I was curious. I really enjoyed reading about Jack's experiences after the escape, because he had to deal with things I never would have thought of, because we just take them for granted. Like the fact that he kept running into things, because his depth perception was off due to living in a small room his whole life. Who would have thought?? I was disappointed that Ma had that meltdown and tried to kill herself. I mean of course the aftermath is hard to deal with, but to try and kill yourself when you have Jack? I felt so awful for him. Maybe, though, that is what gave Jack some courage and independence? The fact that she wasn't with him 24/7 to guide him through 'real life'. One other thing I wanted to mention - I think if I were in that situation I would have kept Jack. I mean, he was her baby, part of her you know? And of course you would want a companion. I think it would be incredibly hard to be selfless in that kind of situation. And who knows what Old Nick would have done with the baby if she hadn't wanted to keep it. But then I wonder...what would have happened if they couldn't escape? I mean, how long could you keep pretending? And how long could you live in a small room with a growing boy? Hmmm

Cali - I like the idea of choosing just a couple questions and having people discuss them specifically! :)

Sandy & Aaron ~ May 4, 2011 ~ Dreams Palm Beach, Punta Cana ------ Bride & Groom + 30 booked! (and counting)

#162 Canadiansandy

Canadiansandy
    • 355 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

Oh and congratulations Crystalball!! Your pictures are beautiful :)

Sandy & Aaron ~ May 4, 2011 ~ Dreams Palm Beach, Punta Cana ------ Bride & Groom + 30 booked! (and counting)

#163 Crystalballl

Crystalballl
      • 406 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thank ladies!

I just started Sarah's Key.  Pretty good thus far.

#164 Crystalballl

Crystalballl
        • 406 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CaliaA07 

I think it's more discussion when we discuss some of the questions. Maybe we can pick a few and all answer just those. An idea.

I like this idea!!  Makes it a little more easy for everyone!

#165 TonyandTricia

TonyandTricia
          • 426 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

I just started Sarah's Key! So far it's really good!

#166 TonyandTricia

TonyandTricia
            • 426 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Just finished! Loved it

#167 Birdie07

Birdie07
              • 1,218 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

Glad people are liking it!!! I bawled. I'm such a baby!!

#168 CSandCK2

CSandCK2
                • 563 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

You are not alone Calia, I also bawled like a baby while reading this book

Originally Posted by CaliaA07 

Glad people are liking it!!! I bawled. I'm such a baby!!

#169 Teira1031

Teira1031
                  • 766 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

Have we pick our next book yet? I'm in need of a new book to read and know it's just about time for us to start a new one

#170 Birdie07

Birdie07
                    • 1,218 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

We have not, but we can! Does anyone want to submit a new book. I still have a few girls haven't given me a suggestion. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users