Jump to content

Photo

Tropical Storm Dean


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Heligirl

Heligirl
  • Newbie
  • 97 posts

    Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:49 AM

    My wedding is in a month in Playa.. has anyone thought of an option B.. I of course have travel insurance but have 40 other guests coming. Hmmmmm

    Good luck to everyone out there and be safe!!

    #42 starchild

    starchild

      Moderator

    • Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

      Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Heligirl
      My wedding is in a month in Playa.. has anyone thought of an option B.. I of course have travel insurance but have 40 other guests coming. Hmmmmm

      Good luck to everyone out there and be safe!!
      *Hopefully* you won't need an option B, but this thread may help if you do:

      http://bestdestinati....like-help.html

      #43 MsShelley

      MsShelley

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 10,366 posts

        Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

        The center of powerful Hurricane Dean is now passing just south of the western part of Jamaica with 145 mph winds; a healthy category 4 on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

        A Kingston observing site has reported sustained easterly winds to 114 mph and gusts to at least 138 mph.

        The center of Dean has passed the longitiude of the city of Negril, on the western tip of Jamaica, with weather conditions expected to slowly improve in the overnight hours on the island nation.

        There have been reports via radio of uprooted trees, rooftops torn away, impassable roads, and a mudslide.

        Moreover, tremendous waves battered the southern and eastern shore as well and torrential rains.

        Rainfall amounts will be in the 5 to 10 inch range with some areas receiving as much as 20 inches before the rain subside overnight tonight. The heavy rains will lead to life-threatening mudslides.

        Dean's forecast track takes the powerful hurricane south of the island of Grand Cayman on Monday. Although not a direct hit, the Cayman Islands will deal with battering waves, high surge, and rainfall amounts on the order of 4 to 8 inches with some totals nearing a foot of rain or more.

        By Tuesday, the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico will feel impacts from Hurricane Dean. Resort areas of Cancun and Cozumel should be prepared for this powerful hurricane. By Wednesday night into Thursday, Dean is expected to make a final landfall along the mainland Mexican coast.

        Numerous hurricane and tropical storm watches and warnings are in place for the various Caribbean islands including a hurricane warning for Jamaica and the Cayman Islands, as well as part of the eastern Yucatan Peninsula from Belize City, Belize, to Cancun, Mexico.

        Remember that watches mean that conditions are possible within 36 hours; warnings mean that conditions are expected within 24 hours.

        Meanwhile, the book has not been closed on Tropical Depression Erin. After drenching Texas from the Gulf Coast to the Texas Hill Country to the Panhandle during the latter half of last week, a re-energized Erin unleashed even more tropical downpours over Oklahoma.

        During a 6 to 12 hour period from late Saturday night through Sunday morning, tremendous rainfall amounts of 5 to 11 inches fell over the west-central part of the state. The extreme rainfall has left parts of west-central Oklahoma under water and many people in life-threatening situations. Numerous high water rescues (from roof tops and stranded cars) have been in progress during the morning and afternoon hours.

        The center of TD Erin then drifted to the east directly over Oklahoma City during the mid-morning hours producing flooding rains and winds gusts between 50 and 60 mph across the capital city. The remnant low pressure center dissipated over central Kansas on Sunday evening, but the remnant moisture continues to drift through Missouri. The moisture will interact with a stalled frontal boundary across the Midwest and enhance the chance of heavy rains near the Great Lakes and in Upper Mississippi Valley on Monday.

        #44 Trista

        Trista
        • Jr. Member
        • 304 posts

          Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

          Thanks for your update..
          COUPLES ~Swept Away, JAMAICA

          #45 Heligirl

          Heligirl
          • Newbie
          • 97 posts

            Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

            CNN has coorspondants in all of Mexico.. They have been showing good pics....

            So do you try and reschedule in a different month or move locations?

            #46 bre

            bre
            • Jr. Member
            • 205 posts

              Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:00 PM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Heligirl
              My wedding is in a month in Playa.. has anyone thought of an option B.. I of course have travel insurance but have 40 other guests coming. Hmmmmm

              Good luck to everyone out there and be safe!!
              I spoke with our travel agent today about the possibility of relocating in case their is major damage to our hotel, even though we are five months out (I'm a worry wort!).

              She was very reassuring and said that our insurance would cover it and that the wholesalers that the agents work through have been through this many times before (unfortunately!) and they are very accommodating. So hopefully, you won't need an option B but if you do, there are experienced people ready to help you.

              Hopefully, all will be okay though!!!!
              Bre & Pete
              January 19, 2008
              El Dorado Royale

              #47 jfwolfe72

              jfwolfe72
              • Jr. Member
              • 433 posts

                Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by bre
                I spoke with our travel agent today about the possibility of relocating in case their is major damage to our hotel, even though we are five months out (I'm a worry wort!).

                She was very reassuring and said that our insurance would cover it and that the wholesalers that the agents work through have been through this many times before (unfortunately!) and they are very accommodating. So hopefully, you won't need an option B but if you do, there are experienced people ready to help you.

                Hopefully, all will be okay though!!!!
                I should have purchased the travel insurance......

                #48 rodent

                rodent

                  VIP Member

                • VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

                  Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by jfwolfe72
                  I should have purchased the travel insurance......

                  I don't think it's necessary for April 23rd. That's like the safest time. It's before hurricane season, but long enough after that places are likely up & running. You can still buy it now. Maybe not through where you booked your trip, but through another agency.

                  #49 jfwolfe72

                  jfwolfe72
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 433 posts

                    Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

                    I'm not too worried that a hurricane will happen around the time we'll get married - I'm just feeling bummed b/c one of the "cons" of EDR is that a hurricane destroyed the beach there two years ago - I was hoping that by this time next year (sans hurricanes), the beaches would be in better shape. But another hurricane might just put back any efforts to improve since then... Regardless, you can't plan for everything, so I'll just go with it - I just don't want my guests to be disappointed.

                    #50 jenvh

                    jenvh
                    • Newbie
                    • 135 posts

                      Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

                      I was hoping to finally book my wedding on Isla Mujeres this week (for March) but now I think I will wait and see how bad the damage will be. I finally make a decision on my location and Mother Nature steps in to make me question it.

                      And probably the WC and hotels have bigger things to worry about than answering my emails right now.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users