Am I a terrible sister?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
  • VIP Member
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

I haven't read through the other posts, but I guess I look at it this way---- even if your sister gets engaged first, it doesn't mean you have to wait to get married. You can pay for your own wedding if you don't want to wait. I'm assuming that since you're 30 and sis is 25, that you might be a better position to financially contribute to your own wedding than she is (since 30 is more career established and 25 is almost fresh from college).

#22 tvt

tvt
    • VIP Member
    • 4,812 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

I guess I'm going against the grain a little bit here, in that I think it's very sneaky to try and beat your sister to the punch, per say. And in turn, put her in the spot you don't want to be in.

#23 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 10,366 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by tvt
        I guess I'm going against the grain a little bit here, in that I think it's very sneaky to try and beat your sister to the punch, per say. And in turn, put her in the spot you don't want to be in.
        Tara, I think that is my point I was trying to make i n a round about way... I was there and it sucked!!

#24 starfish kate

starfish kate
        • 455 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by tvt
          This is why I posted this- to see things from a different point of view that I didn't before. I'm not going to do anything. Whatever happens, happens.
          Kate

#25 tvt

tvt
          • VIP Member
          • 4,812 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

Also, maybe your sister will want a long engagment. I know we did. And if she's planning a huge blow out, she'll probably need more time to make it all come together anyway

#26 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
            • VIP Member
            • 2,347 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

I just read all the way through your post now... Wow, I feel bad for your parents if they're financing a significant portion of each wedding and there looks to be 3 in a short 3-5 year timeframe! I think I'd probably elope to save them money and become the "favorite" child who was the least expensive of the 3! hehehe...

#27 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
              • 5,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by MikkiStreak
                I just read all the way through your post now... Wow, I feel bad for your parents if they're financing a significant portion of each wedding and there looks to be 3 in a short 3-5 year timeframe! I think I'd probably elope to save them money and become the "favorite" child who was the least expensive of the 3! hehehe...
                Maria I would do the same thing. In fact I would chip in to pay for my younger sister's wedding so that they would make a bronze statute of me and place it on the front lawn, and so that I could be nominated for the congressional medal of honor. LOl.

*Kate I am completely kidding and just being severely sarcastic. I know your new so I didn't want to scare you but most of us here love joking around. *

#28 gkashmira

gkashmira
                • 1,962 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Nrvsbride
                  I apologize if this sounds stupid but what would happen if you both got engaged? Would your parents only agree to pay for one daughters wedding? Would it be the daughter who got engaged first? What if you got engaged this weekend and she got engaged 2 weeks after that does that mean that she has to wait until 2009?

Wouldn't it ultimately be up to your parents to decide how to divy up the finances? I would think they want to give each daughter something and would never just pay for one's wedding. So in the end wouldn't they just end up splitting things 50-50?
                  This seems logical to me as well. I wouldn't worry about it!
                  Kashmira & Dan
                  Happily married since June 16, 2007
                  http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                  Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                  Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#29 starfish kate

starfish kate
                  • 455 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Nrvsbride
                    Maria I would do the same thing. In fact I would chip in to pay for my younger sister's wedding so that they would make a bronze statute of me and place it on the front lawn, and so that I could be nominated for the congressional medal of honor. LOl.

*Kate I am completely kidding and just being severely sarcastic. I know your new so I didn't want to scare you but most of us here love joking around. *
                    I know nothing about sarcasm.......
                    Kate

#30 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

I don't think you are a bad sister. I just think that's a stressful situation to be in. The decision of when to get married should be between you & your sig other. You shouldn't have to also coordinate it with your sister. I understand why your parents would want that, but it's not very realistic. I think my brother & I might end up getting maried around the same time. My mom is excited. She said she is happy to only have to lose weight once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users