Photo

Is it ok at your Stag and Doe to just have money won?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 *Lo*

*Lo*
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

I'm from Ontario and I still don't understand Stag & Dos. You ask people to come to a party but then pay for things? This is part of the wedding?

#12 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
    • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

I think Stag & Does were more common in smaller towns so that everyone could help with the "fund raising" but are now becoming more popular in larger cities.

#13 kmbride2be

kmbride2be
      • 29 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

Can someone please explain to me what a 'stag and doe' party is? I have never heard of it!

Thanks in advance!

#14 Valentine_Baby

Valentine_Baby
        • 452 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

A Stag and Doe is also known as a Jack and Jill.

It is a party where usually (which i've seen many times in the past) the wedding party throws this party for the couple getting married.  They usually rent a hall, have a bar, play a few games.  Everyone who comes pays an entry fee of usually $10 each or 2 for $15.  There are raffles and prizes.  Some Jack and Jill's have a table set up to bid on prizes like a silent auction.

Just a get together.  At the end of the night, the wedding party gets back all their money back for what they put out and anything left over is given to the bride and groom to go towards their wedding.

#15 Valentine_Baby

Valentine_Baby
          • 452 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

it's a pre-celebration for the couple . . .I think it's a good idea for destination weddings because it gives those people a chance who aren't able to make it to come out and celebrate with you before your big day (that is of course you aren't having an AHR)

#16 loua4

loua4
            • 397 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yes. My FI and I said that we didnt want one, but our wedding party is insisting and we are actually really excited about it now. We were going to do the AHR but that just is not in our budget and this is a fun way to see everyone who cannot go, and those who can. :) All that I have been to in the past have been a blast.

#17 kmbride2be

kmbride2be
              • 29 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like a neat idea but we live out of state (New Jersey) and that would mean that we would have to schedule another visit back home (to Texas) on top of all the visits with the holidays, showers etc...

I will keep it in mind for the next friend that gets hitched!

Thanks for the feedback ladies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users