renewal vows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heatherbee

• 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Has anyone been legally married in Canada before going to Cuba for a renewal of vows?  We are considering this; however, we want our guests to believe it is a legal ceremony.  Any advice?

#2 Barrierunner

• 166 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hi, my hubby and I got legally married in Canada before going to our official wedding in Cuba.  We had a symbolic ceremony.  Only a few of our friends and our parents were aware that we were doing this.  We did vows and a sand ceremony, and we made and brought a document that looked like our marriage certificate for signing.  No one had a clue that it was symbolic and no one questioned if it was legal.  It was a beautiful ceremony and all of our guests commented on how romantic and quick it was.

#3 HazelsMelody

• 169 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

What does the renewal ceremony require? I'm wondering about the costs and stuff, I keep going back and forth on this. I've been married before so it will cost me $250-ish to get my divorce certificate translated and notarized, on top of the wedding fees at the resort. I thought if a renewal ceremony is cheaper then I also wouldn't need to get my divorce certificate done, we might save a lot more...

Plus, then we wouldn't have to wait months to receive the marriage certificate and then get IT translated back into English as well...

Still not sure though.

Iberostar Varadero
        25 March 2011
        Bride & Groom and kids + 20 booked.

#4 senecabride

• 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

We are going to do a ceremony at home before we leave.  :)   It just makes it easier, and people don't even know, and the vows that we exchange and the day that we have our wedding is what we are going to call our anniversary.

#5 AlexsBride

• 401 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

My FI has been married before as well and we have decided to get legally married in Canada before we go. We had heard that to get the divorce decree translated and sent to Cuba costs around $600!!

Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

#6 Heatherbee

• 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

thanks for your feedback!  I think all you need for a renewal of vows is your marriage certificate from Canada/home.

what is the difference between a "renewal of vows" and a "symbolic ceremony"? this is where I'm confused. I know that the renewal of vows does not incorporate the witnesses signatures - which is why it may not appear as the actual or legal ceremony.  this might depend on the resort and the style of the wedding coordinator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users