Finally finished my DIY Fabric Flowers Bouquet!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow thank you so much for all of the lovely feedback! 

I had such an amazing time making my bouquet that I decided to make some to sell. Life of course got in the way and not only are we in the middle of moving to Mexico, we are also pregnant!! 

So I now have 2 bouquets that are almost done,and I need to sell them asap so they will go for a heck of a lot less than I was expecting!

1 Bouquet is Hot Pink and Orange and the other bouquet is a few shades of purple and green, and each flower has a different rhinestone brooch in the centers. They are really lovely if I do say so myself!cheesy.gifI've really got the hang of it now.

I have tons of flowers that are made but aren't attached to "stems" yet and since that is the tricky/time consuming part, I will turn them into hair flowers most likely. 

I will add pictures and prices once I finish the handles for the bouquets, but if those bouquet colors interest you, just send me a message and I can send you pictures of what the flowers look like now.

Thanks guys!! 

Congrats on the new addition to the family, that is very exciting news!!

Do you mind sharing your "stem" info?  I have been making flowers like a mad person but am unsure of what to use for stems and how you go about attaching them!

Originally Posted by Barbaracopeland View Post

Wow thank you so much for all of the lovely feedback! 

I had such an amazing time making my bouquet that I decided to make some to sell. Life of course got in the way and not only are we in the middle of moving to Mexico, we are also pregnant!! 

So I now have 2 bouquets that are almost done,and I need to sell them asap so they will go for a heck of a lot less than I was expecting!

1 Bouquet is Hot Pink and Orange and the other bouquet is a few shades of purple and green, and each flower has a different rhinestone brooch in the centers. They are really lovely if I do say so myself!cheesy.gifI've really got the hang of it now.

I have tons of flowers that are made but aren't attached to "stems" yet and since that is the tricky/time consuming part, I will turn them into hair flowers most likely. 

I will add pictures and prices once I finish the handles for the bouquets, but if those bouquet colors interest you, just send me a message and I can send you pictures of what the flowers look like now.

Thanks guys!! 

Great job! I love this and I am going to give it a try, I am having a DIY day with my local bridemaids soon so I will add a trial run of this. Thank You !

Originally Posted by Barbaracopeland View Post

Instructions on fabric flowers:

These are really easy once you get the hang of it. It's a bit time consuming so put a movie on and get crafty!

I cut 5 large petals and 4 small ones. It can be rough cuts- no need to be perfect here! Also make sure to use synthetic fabric, nothing natural, and I found that double thickness Satin worked the best and rarely caught fire. I tried thin satin at first and it just kept burning. If it catches fire, just blow it out and if it's not too bad you can cut a bit of the black away and keep going. Also, it's not nearly as shiny as it looks in my pictures.

Step 1

1.jpg

Then you take each petal and lightly skim the edges through or just above a candle flame. You have to work fairly quickly here. The goal is to melt the edges of the fabric to seal them from fraying but also to give them the curled edge. Make sure that you melt the entire edge though so there's no fraying later. This was hard to take a photo of! **Oh one thing I learned the hard way- make sure not to have a fan on in the room or any sort of draft. It makes it almost impossible to do this if the flame is bobbing around!

2.jpg

I then run the whole petal through the flame to give some texture. This step isn't necessary though, if you want smooth petals just skip it. Also make sure to watch your fingers, when I started I got burned a lot! I made this flower with a bit more texture than I did with the bouquet.

4.jpg

Do this to all of your flower petals until they look something like this (or until you're happy with them!):

5.jpg

*Again, you don't have to make them this textured though! Then I just fan together the large petals and sew them together like so:

6.jpg

Once you get the large petals secured, add the smaller petals and sew them on. I take a bit more care here since now is where things can be seen with the naked eye. I then switch to a smaller needle and sew on the brooch or bead or whatever the center is. Sorry- all I have left is a smallish rhinestone button so it looks sort of silly, but you get the idea.

7.jpg

That's how I made the large flowers. For the smaller "filler" flowers, I did the exact same process but instead of cutting petal shapes in step 1,  I did circles largest to smallest and piled them on top of each other. Here's a picture of the filler flower:

8.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who wants to make them! It doesn't just have to be bouquets though. I usually make these and attach them to clutches or bags to doll them up or sew them onto shirts put them on headbands etc....

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Guys!

So I was planning on starting a little side business making handmade wedding bouquets since I received so many email requests after sharing my own handmade bouquet. 

I had hoped to make several bouquets before launching an etsy site when we not only found out that I was pregnant but we decided to move out of the country!!  So now I need to get rid of everything fast! I am selling these for a lot less than I had intended, but we are moving soon and I'd rather not ship these to my storage unit!

I am putting up the Hot Pink and Orange Bridal Bouquet first. It really is beautiful if I say so myself! Each flower is handmade using at least 40 petals for the large flowers and each flower, large and small has a rhinestone brooch center. This bouquet is far more detailed than I even made my own! It took many many hours to make each individual flower. I don't use any glue, each flower is sewn petal by petal and I also sew in the brooches.  I sew them together very well so that they will last for generations if kept properly, I tried very hard to make these as heirloom quality as possible. 

Message me here if you have any questions. I can measure it for you (I would include the measurements now but my husband lost the tape measure!) but we estimate that it is about 12 inches wide and 14 inches long. Again, I'd be happy to figure it out exactly if you want. 

Here are some photos. Let me know if you want more. And please forgive my big ol' pregnant belly!

Also, I'm asking $275 US dollars (Paypal) and it would depend on where you live for shipping. Just let me know where and I can figure out what to add for shipping. 

Thanks!

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg