BDW Biggest Loser ~ Season 10!

DWBride615

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 19 – 25, 2010

Tip of the Week

Hereâ€s a fun fact... Fast foods can be part of a healthy weight-loss program with a little bit of know-how.  Avoid supersized combo meals, or split one with a friend. Sip on water or fat-free milk instead of soda. Choose salads and grilled foods, like a grilled chicken breast sandwich or small hamburger. Try a “fresco†taco (with salsa instead of cheese or sauce) at taco stands. Fried foods, like french fries and fried chicken, are high in fat and calories, so order them only once in a while, order a small portion, or split an order with a friend. Also, use only small amounts of high-fat, high-calorie toppings, like regular mayonnaise, salad dressings, bacon, and cheese.

Challenge of the Week

(I think Annâ€s suggestions are great, so Iâ€m posting but ALL credit goes to Ann J

Walk for 3 miles

Myth of the Week(Is it True or False?)

“‘Going vegetarian†means you are sure to lose weight and be healthier.â€

Fact:Research shows that people who follow a vegetarian eating plan, on average, eat fewer calories and less fat than nonvegetarians. They also tend to have lower body weights relative to their heights than nonvegetarians. Choosing a vegetarian eating plan with a low fat content may be helpful for weight loss. But vegetarians—like nonvegetarians—can make food choices that contribute to weight gain, like eating large amounts of high-fat, high-calorie foods or foods with little or no nutritional value.

Vegetarian diets should be as carefully planned as nonvegetarian diets to make sure they are balanced. Nutrients that nonvegetarians normally get from animal products, but that are not always found in a vegetarian eating plan, are iron, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12, zinc, and protein.

Tip:Choose a vegetarian eating plan that is low in fat and that provides all of the nutrients your body needs. Food and beverage sources of nutrients that may be lacking in a vegetarian diet are listed below.

• Iron: cashews, spinach, lentils, garbanzo beans, fortified bread or cereal
  • Calcium:dairy products, fortified soy-based beverages, tofu made with calcium sulfate, collard greens, kale, broccoli
  • Vitamin D:fortified foods and beverages including milk, soy-based beverages, or cereal
  • Vitamin B12:eggs, dairy products, fortified cereal or soy-based beverages, tempeh, miso (tempeh and miso are foods made from soybeans)
  • Zinc:whole grains (especially the germ and bran of the grain), nuts, tofu, leafy vegetables (spinach, cabbage, lettuce)
  • Protein: eggs, dairy products, beans, peas, nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh, soy-based burgers

Healthy Recipe of the Week

Spinach and Ricotta-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemony White Wine Sauce

Low-Carb Recipe

Ingredients

Stuffing:

• 1 cup cooked, chopped, and drained fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup ricotta
  • 1/2 cup Gorgonzola
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large egg

Sauce:

• 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup homemade chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 lemons, juiced
  • Chopped parsley leaves, for garnish
  •  

Chicken:

• 4 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (can be replace with olive oil)

Directions

Make the Stuffing: In a bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta, and Gorgonzola and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Add the egg, mix well, and set aside.

Make the Sauce: Combine the wine and stock in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a sauce-like consistency. Whisk in the mustard, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.

Make the Chicken: Place each chicken breast between 2 doubled-up sheets of plastic wrap, and pound to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a meat-pounder or rolling pin. Divide the stuffing between the breasts, mounding it along the center of each. Fold the bottom edge of each breast over the stuffing, fold in the sides, and roll forward until completely wrapped, to form a tight rolled package. Secure each flap with a toothpick. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, to taste.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Cover the skillet, turn the heat down to low, and cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes more.

Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour the sauce into the skillet over high heat and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.

Slice the chicken into medallions, divide among plates, and spoon some of the sauce over each. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.

Yield : 4 servings

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kinda genius that they have calorie info....

And we all have bad days....I've been blah so far this week...not so much eating...but there has been drinking pretty much every day but Sunday...

So..I need to make a meal plan and stick to it....I feel like this week may be another stay the same kinda week..

Originally Posted by Teira1031 View Post

just had burgerville for dinner and they print the calorie count of your meal on your receipt... i am feeling pretty guilty.. having a bad eating day smile27.gif

Originally Posted by msmarmar123 View Post

Yea...low carb recipe :) That looks so yummy...that is definitely one I am going to attempt to make....have you made it before?

Yes, they are all recipes I've tried before. I even made the pancake recipe stachr sent in. Delicious! Thanks, stacey! =] However, the veggie burger from week 2 is a recommendation from my sister. She's vegetarian and I thought it might be helpful for other vegetarians.

Originally Posted by Canadiansandy View Post

Congratulations ladies!! :)

This recipe looks delicious, as did the last! Chelsea, where are you finding these recipes? And does anyone know what a 'non-reactive saucepan' is? Does your pan have to state that specifically?

I search for recipes by the diet. I want there to be a variety of different recipes because we have different diets (whether it be low-carb, low-calorie, etc. or), so I look for different ones. If I find something worth trying, I read the reviews from people who have previously made them. If the recipe has great reviews, I print it and try to make it. If I recommend it, I post it on the weekly update. Making these recipes to decide what to post in the update actually helps me stay on track with healthy eating =]

I'm not sure what a 'non-reactive' saucepan is, but I think they meant when you're putting in the wine. Alcohol on the stove catches on fire in the pan (usually happens with vodka), but the fire goes down really fast. I guess they meant to make sure to use a pan that won't react with the wine. I just used a regular saucepan and made sure to pour the stock first then mixed the wine in after; meal came out just fine and no issues.

Oh, and for those interested in the recipe, the sauce is very lemony...still good, but you'll definitely taste the lemon. If you don't like the sauce, just don't make it or don't pour it on the chicken. The chicken is still tasty on its own without it and you can serve it with a side of vegetables or something. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by OceanWonderland View Post

Chelsea,

I just noticed this... but you aren't listing your % weight loss with all us girls? Your weight loss doesn't get to count with ours? Or are you just doing this out of the kindness of your heart? :)

I wanted to help out the ladies who wanted another season by hosting. This thread and you all help me out greatly as well. I think good health doesn't depend on solely weight, but overall diet and exercise. This group helps me stay on track with that. Normally, I have a terrible diet and rarely exercise so I'm working on living a healthier lifestyle. I see this as a great and fun way for a group of women working on becoming healthier and I'm glad to be a part of it, despite not entering the contest =].

I wanted to help out the ladies who wanted another season by hosting. This thread and you all help me out greatly as well. I think good health doesn't depend on solely weight, but overall diet and exercise. This group helps me stay on track with that. Normally, I have a terrible diet and rarely exercise so I'm working on living a healthier lifestyle. I see this as a great and fun way for a group of women working on becoming healthier and I'm glad to be a part of it, despite not entering the contest =].

That is so nice of you :) Thank you for helping out evryone....and you are completely right...whether you are competing or just along for the ride...it is great knowing there are others going through it with you (um..pretty much this whole entire forum cheer2.gif)

Hi ladies,

Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow is the Week 4 Weigh-In =] As usual, please send in your scale pictures by the Saturday, 12:00pm EST deadline.

I, also, wanted to remind everyone that I won't have internet access this weekend from Friday to Monday. So, the weight loss precentages and weekly update won't be posted until Tuesday or Wednesday next week. The entry deadline will still be the same though.

Good luck and have a great weekend!

Have a great trip, Chelsea!

I myself have had a fabulous week, and look forward to submitting my e-mail tomorrow :)

How's everyone else doing?

Originally Posted by DWBride615 View Post

Hi ladies,

Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow is the Week 4 Weigh-In =] As usual, please send in your scale pictures by the Saturday, 12:00pm EST deadline.

I, also, wanted to remind everyone that I won't have internet access this weekend from Friday to Monday. So, the weight loss precentages and weekly update won't be posted until Tuesday or Wednesday next week. The entry deadline will still be the same though.

Good luck and have a great weekend!