WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 26 â€“ OCTOBER 2, 2010
Tip of the Week
Did you know?... A weight-loss product that claims to be â€œnaturalâ€ or â€œherbalâ€ is not necessarily safe. These products are not usually scientifically tested to prove that they are safe or that they work. For example, herbal products containing ephedra (now banned by the U.S. Government) have caused serious health problems and even death. Newer products that claim to be ephedra-free are not necessarily danger-free, because they may contain ingredients similar to ephedra. Talk with your health care provider before using any weight-loss product. Some natural or herbal weight-loss products can be harmful.
Challenge of the Week
(I think Annâ€™s suggestions are great, so Iâ€™m posting but ALL credit goes to Ann
Go on a bike ride for at least an hour
Myth of the Week(Is it True or False?)
â€œNuts are fattening and you should not eat them if you want to lose weight.â€
Fact: In small amounts, nuts can be part of a healthy weight-loss program. Nuts are high in calories and fat. However, most nuts contain healthy fats that do not clog arteries. Nuts are also good sources of protein, dietary fiber, and minerals including magnesium and copper.
Tip: Enjoy small portions of nuts. One-half ounce of mixed nuts has about 84 calories.
Healthy Recipe of the Week
3-Cheese White Pizza
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound) â€¦Spinach leaves can be used instead
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
11 0-ounce prepared thin pizza crust, such as Boboli
1. Place oven rack in lowest position. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Mix ricotta and Parmesan together; set aside. Rinse broccoli rabe, remove outer leaves and thick stems; cut into 2-inch pieces. Set aside.
3. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe, salt, rosemary and red pepper flakes to pan and cook, stirring, for 9 minutes or until tender; set aside.
4. Place mozzarella slices evenly on pizza crust. Spread broccoli rabe on top, then drop rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture on top of broccoli.
5. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into eight wedges and serve immediately.
Yield : 8 Servings