I am sure that policy is just to get you to stay at their property longer...just to get another penny out of us..lol

GOOD LUCK!!!!  Cant wait to see pics (hope you share them) and hear all about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you even focus with 5 days left?!? 

Hanna had 84 and sunny 2 days ago for her big day....yahooooo!!

Originally Posted by nucci View Post

We were originally told we had to be there 3 days in advance but the best price on tickets was getting us there only 2 days in advance so Karla said that was fine.  We leave Thursday and get married Saturday.  We are doing the blessing ceremony so not sure if that makes a difference.

I totally get what everyone is saying about all the fees and upgrades, but you have to remember what you would be spending if you weren't doing a destination wedding.  The prices would be doubled.  From what I've heard once you get there and experience everything it will be worth every penny.  

5 days to go!!!! :)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hannah I hope everything goes great at your wedding. Good luck!

I just had a quick question. Where is the mexican resturant you are having your reception at? I love the Iberostar but they charge so much for a wedding on the beach that we had to sadly dismiss the hotel from our choices. I did not like the look of the other reception sites that I was shown buy Reyna as they were all indoors with no windows. But if there is a great place you can have a private reception that is nicer we might jump back on the Iberostar train!

Thanks!

ps. glad your friend is okay but that sucks that he cannot come!

My reception will be at the El Tapatito or something like that - it is the lunch restaurant that is right by the pool...the girls on here that are all having their receptions at the Del Mar have an open air venue, it looks like it is just covered by a giant tiki hut type thing...it looks GORGEOUS!!!!  And a couple of them stayed on the Lindo/Maya side and just were able to have their ceremony and reception on the Del Mar side....I will attach some photos of the restaurant I am having my reception at this week when I am at work (where the pics are)  ...but the BEST option for the reception venue is the open air venue at the Del Mar!!  (not that I have seen it in person, but everyone has raved about it,...and it looks GORG!!!)  But if you are looking for  a BEACH reception...I agree - the Iberostar is not the place to go..unless you do not have a budget ;)

Originally Posted by cole379 View Post

Hannah I hope everything goes great at your wedding. Good luck!

I just had a quick question. Where is the mexican resturant you are having your reception at? I love the Iberostar but they charge so much for a wedding on the beach that we had to sadly dismiss the hotel from our choices. I did not like the look of the other reception sites that I was shown buy Reyna as they were all indoors with no windows. But if there is a great place you can have a private reception that is nicer we might jump back on the Iberostar train!

Thanks!

ps. glad your friend is okay but that sucks that he cannot come!

Hello ladies!! Well we got back late last night and everything was AMAZING!!! I know you're all dying to hear all about it so here goes...

Most of our group flew together on the same flight and that went smoothly other than the plane that we were on did not have a single closet on it and therefore they were unable to hang up my dress:( There was another bride on our flight as well and she couldn't hang her dress either. We both had to cram our dresses in the overhead bins. Luckily people were nice enough to not try and put their stuff in the bin that had my dress in it. The other thing I should mention is that I had to put my dress through the security scanner on the conveyor belt and it got the garment bag dirty (I was NOT happy about that but luckily the dress didn't have a mark on it). So make sure you have a good garment bag!

Once we got to the resort check in was fairly quick and they upgraded us to an ocean view junior suite. The juniro suite is basically about 5 feet longer than the regular rooms but other than that they are exactly the same. The ocean view was a nice touch though. Karla was waiting for us when we chacked in and we had a brief meeting with her to go over all the details. She is very nice and is extremely organized so you don't need to worry about anything with her. We gave her a cd with some music that we wanted played during our ceremony and she also let us know that she would leave us a letter which contained all of the charges so that we could pay for it at reception. That letter arrived in our room the next day. She also explained that we had to pay the penalty to the resort photographers one day prior to the wedding in order for our external photographers to be allowed access to the resort. Well we didn't do that and our photographers had no problems getting access. We thought we would try to avoid paying the penalty like Tara did but when we went to check out it had been charged to our room so ladies there is no getting around it anymore! Oh well!

We had a "rehearsal" dinner with our whole group of 42 at the Meditteranean restaurant and that was really not all that great. They seemed a little disorganized at the restaurant and they had a really stupid set up for our tables even though there was hardly anyone else in there. I would suggest you stick to the Japanese restaurant like Erin had recommended. That was a way better experience when we had one of our a la carte dinners there. Make sure you let your guests know to book their a la carte dinners as soon as they arrive as the reservations fill up very quickly and if you wait a few days you will only get 9pm reservations (if that).

The day before our wedding I decided to be a wedding crasher and watch someone else's wedding which took place in the gazebo. That location is definitely very private as compared to the beach so if you don't want strangers around then you should probably stick with the gazebo. It is also more shady as it is amongst the trees. If you ask Karla she will let you know if there are weddings in the days leading up to your weddings and by watching one it will give you an idea of how they set things up etc.

On our wedding day we didn't do much in the morning and we tried to stay out of the sun to avoid gettint too burnt! I met my photographers in the lobby at 1:30pm and took them back to our room to get started. We used PHOTOS IN CANCUN and they were wonderful! They stayedw ith us the whole day and at the end of the night they gave me 4 DVDs with all of the photos that they took (more than 2500!!). I now have the daunting task of going through them all to pick my 100 favorite which they will then edit and send to me on a new disk!

So back to the wedding day.... Lorena (one of the photographers) did my hair and make up in my room while Derek (the other photographer) snapped photos all the way through. I LOVED my hair and make up! I would also highly suggest that you all put your hair into up-dos as it is pretty windy on the beach and you don't want your hair flying around in all your photos. A couple of my girlfriends and my mom and sister came to my room and hung out while I was getting ready. My bouquet was delivered right to my room and it was GORGEOUS! I just got the flowers that were included in the package and they were beautiful.... I wouldn't have wanted anything different. It took me much longer to get ready than I thought it would so make sure you leave yourselves plenty of time. I was about half hour late for the ceremony!

Once I was ready they sent a golf cart to come get me and take me to the ceremony location. There is a pretty long walk way and half of it is through a bunch of trees so you walk for a while before you see the ceremony site and your guests. The ceremony site was beautiful and I was really surprised at how many people had gathered to watch our wedding. I would say we had at least 50 strangers all around watching us!

The minster spoke pretty good english so I was happy about that and they had a microphone so everyone was able to hear what we were saying. We wrote our own vows and every single person was crying when we read them!! Even the strangers who were watching cried and I had people coe up to me throughout the resort in the days after the wedding commenting on how beautiful everything was! The ceremony was about 25mins and once it was done they handed out champagne to everyone so we could have a champagne toast.

We took tons of pictures with everyone on the beach and then we let everyone go their own was so the two of us could get photos alone. The reception srated at 6:30pm at the open air restaurant on the Del Mar side. I am so happy we chose to go with the private dinner as that venue is perfect! Karla had the tables set up exactly as I specified on my seating plan and they had all of the centerpieces in the middle along with everyone's place cards. The cake was set up on a seperate table and it looked great too!

We had hired DJ Doremixx for the reception and they were great! Everyone was dancing the night away.... he brought glow sticks and masks which made everything even more fun. We ended up sneaking out of the reception for about 20mins so that we could go get some pictures take at the beach while the sun was going down and I am so glad we did that! Those are some of my favorite photos!

The reception went until 10:30pm and then we all went back to our rooms to get changed. After that we went over to the disco to continue the party. I had cut my bracelet off for the wedding so they wouldn't let me into the disco until I went to the front desk to get a new bracelet:( That just about started a rumble at the entrance to the disco since it was so ridiculous that they wouldn't let the BRIDE in!

All in all I am very happy with how everything turned out... the wedding was perfect and everyone had the time of their lives!! You will all have beautiful weddings at the Iberostar!

Here are a couple of things that I want to let you know about so that you are aware:

- The resort is HUGE!! Much much bigger than I would have ever expected. You will be doing A LOT of walking as their trolleys don't really run regularly. Make sure you take lots of flat shoes cuz you won't be able to wear heels much!

- Make your a la carte reservations as soon as you get there.

- Go out to the beach early in the morning to "reserve" your beach loungers. I would recommend bringing your own beach towels with you because then you will be able to tell which ones are yours among all of the resort's blue beach towels.

- It is almost impossible to find your family/friends in the resort unless you happen to catch people while they are in their rooms. I would recommend letting your guests know that it may be a good idea for them to put an international texting package on their cell phone for the month so that you all have a way of communicating that won't cost an arm and a leg. We had a couple of people who had thought of that (wish I would have!) and it made their lives MUCH easier.

- Provide people with a list of important events (ie. rehearsal dinner, group outing etc) along with times & locations so that everyone can plan around them.

- Bring ALOE with you no matter what! People will get sunburned and it is very expensive to buy it there.

- I highly recommend getting a massage on the beach.... it was wonderful and a great way to relax before the wedding!

I think thats all I have for now but feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. I am still trying to sort through the pictures so once I get that done I will try to figure out the best way to share them!

Hannah - I will mail you the starfish tomorrow!

WOW Hanna- I'm so happy for you!  It sounds like everything went well and you had a fabulous time.  You review is calming me down a little.  Some of your suggestions are what we are doing: Have the rehearsal at the Japanese, Ceremony at the gazebo, Hiring DJ Doremixx, etc.  I was wondering about the bracelets so I'll have to remember to get extra ones before the wedding so I won't run into the same problem as you.  That's a little ridiculous they wouldn't let you right into the Disco!!  That's funny you tried to not pay the photography fee like Tara hahaha.  I was thinking of doing the same thing but it sounds like they caught on hahaha.  I'm def not paying $500 though.  I agreed to the $300 and that's all they're getting!!

Thanks for your suggestions too!!  We leave in 3 days!!!!

YAY Hanna!! So glad everything ended up so perfect!!!! I saw your facebook picture and you look GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! So excited to see more photos!!

I will keep my eye out for the starfish...shoot - who do I mail it to next?!?

Katie - Have fun and cant wait to read your review and see pics!!!!!!!  Congrats!!

Congratulations Hanna!!

Thank you for all the great info.. I am definitely telling my guests about adding international texting so they can find each other! 

Also I was going to add that last time we were in Riviera Maya we added the skype app on our iphones, (My fiance thought of it) if you buy minutes before you leave you can make phone calls anywhere wifi is available.  It might be helpful if anyone has guests who will be needing to call home often!

Does anyone know the specifics about the dress code in the restaurants?  I heard trousers and shirts with sleeves for men.. wondering if that means kids too?

I've been a maniac all over this site downloading templates.. more than I need or will even have time to do! Sooo many great ideas:))

Congrats Hannah and thanks so much for your review and pointers. The wrist band thing i would have never even thought of. I cant believe they wouldn't allow you in the disco!

One thing i am worried about is the resort being so large. We are staying at the lindo and decided that we would meet our guests each night at 8pm. Is there a specific lobby or lounge that you would suggest meeting our guests at? Also when doing the rehersal will they do it in the evening like around 7 and does karla come?

Thanks so much hannah!

Im staying at the Lindo so I will let you know as soon as I get back because I plan on doing the same thing....the bars on the Maya side look really nice...and big so I am going to check those out....I just made my appt to meet with Lily the day before we arrive at the Lindo so I will try to get a tour then ....I leave in 17 days and Im in major freak out mode...I need an assistant for the next 2 weeks...between work, and I own a landscaping company (this week we start work), and all my last min stuff I feel like I am bound to forget something ;)  We need to make a master check list!! 

Hanna - any pics yet?? I cant wait to see them!!

Originally Posted by canmaya bride View Post

Congrats Hannah and thanks so much for your review and pointers. The wrist band thing i would have never even thought of. I cant believe they wouldn't allow you in the disco!

One thing i am worried about is the resort being so large. We are staying at the lindo and decided that we would meet our guests each night at 8pm. Is there a specific lobby or lounge that you would suggest meeting our guests at? Also when doing the rehersal will they do it in the evening like around 7 and does karla come?

Thanks so much hannah!

Hello ladies!!!

Sorry I have been MIA since I got back but I am crazy busy tryingt o catch up on everything at work (and to be hones that is where I did most of my posts and reading for this forum!)....

Tomorrow is our legal ceremony so I am also trying to get rady for that. Hannah - starfish is on the mail so you should definitely have it before you leave (not sure how long it would take to get from Canada to the US).

As far as a good meeting place for everyone there is a bar in the lobby of each hotel which is usually a pretty good choice. Wd stayed at the Beach/Del Mar so we didn't really venture over to the Mindo/Maya at all but they all have similar set-ups.

About the bracelet thing.... they WILL NOT give you an extra one no matter what. You actually have to save the bracelet that you cut off your wrist and give it back to them before they will give you a new one. So DO NOT throw out your bracelet once you cut it off for your wedding. Put it in your room safe and then take it to the lobby and exchange it for a new one.

One thing I found about the Iberostar in comparison to other resorts is that they are VERY unflexible on their rules/procedures. Like for example, I was the BRIDE and they refused to let me in the disco without a bracelet even though EVERY bride cuts hers off for the wedding!!! In the end the disco manager came and apologized to me for the "scene" that was caused by them not letting me in but that was only because one of our friends pretty much made him do it!

I can definitely reassure everyone about the actual wedding though!!! BEAUTIFUL & PERFECT!! Couldn't have asked for more and I know all of your weddings will be wonderful too!

Originally Posted by Hannah5611 View Post

Im staying at the Lindo so I will let you know as soon as I get back because I plan on doing the same thing....the bars on the Maya side look really nice...and big so I am going to check those out....I just made my appt to meet with Lily the day before we arrive at the Lindo so I will try to get a tour then ....I leave in 17 days and Im in major freak out mode...I need an assistant for the next 2 weeks...between work, and I own a landscaping company (this week we start work), and all my last min stuff I feel like I am bound to forget something ;)  We need to make a master check list!! 

Hanna - any pics yet?? I cant wait to see them!!