Sign in to follow this  
STBmrsroberts

Newbie - Jamaica 2012

Shawna,

Congrats on the engagement.

I just got married on 5/29 at the Riu Tropical Bay Palace in Negril, 4pm wedding.

It was a great day and we couldn't have phoned in better weather...which knowing how often there are afternoon storms.

We had a total of 72 guest, which is HUGE for a destination wedding, a number of my husbands friends are still single (not married) so they traveled down and then we had a good amount of relatives there as well.

We had it at the Riu as we had kids who would be attending so it needed to allow children.  But there were VERY few children other than the 6 w/our party, so that was good.

We had a fantastic photographer Devon Shaw of Jamaican Wedding Photographers, www.jamaiciaweddingphotos.com.  He did a great job and they have a great cost for what I got.  5 hrs, they gave us a book w/many of the pictures (probably 200) and then a CD w/all the pictures so we could print them ourselves.  And we have a website, for a year I believe w/our pictures. 

The destination thing, is definitely a way more laid back way to have a wedding and our whole crew had a fantastic time...couldn't have been better (well if all of my family attended).

Best of luck to you.

Sarah

Welcome to the forum!  I am new too and have already found this forum extremely useful!  I am getting married at Riu Montego Bay in June 2012.  This resort allows children and is not far from the airport.

Did the Riu charge you to bring in an outside vendor?  If so how much was that?

Originally Posted by sarahfina View Post

Shawna,

Congrats on the engagement.

I just got married on 5/29 at the Riu Tropical Bay Palace in Negril, 4pm wedding.

It was a great day and we couldn't have phoned in better weather...which knowing how often there are afternoon storms.

We had a total of 72 guest, which is HUGE for a destination wedding, a number of my husbands friends are still single (not married) so they traveled down and then we had a good amount of relatives there as well.

We had it at the Riu as we had kids who would be attending so it needed to allow children.  But there were VERY few children other than the 6 w/our party, so that was good.

We had a fantastic photographer Devon Shaw of Jamaican Wedding Photographers, www.jamaiciaweddingphotos.com.  He did a great job and they have a great cost for what I got.  5 hrs, they gave us a book w/many of the pictures (probably 200) and then a CD w/all the pictures so we could print them ourselves.  And we have a website, for a year I believe w/our pictures. 

The destination thing, is definitely a way more laid back way to have a wedding and our whole crew had a fantastic time...couldn't have been better (well if all of my family attended).

Best of luck to you.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,I'm new to the site and trying to decide on an affordable photographer.  How far in advance did you book Devon Shaw? Do you know if he will travel to different locations  in Jamacia or does he just do a select few resorts?

Thanks

Hello,
My name is Sarah. My FI and I got engaged in June and were planning a Newfoundland wedding but decided seeing our families were from opposit ends of the country that we'd meet somewhere in the middle... we're getting married at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - Runaway Bay on August 8th, 2011!!

Welcome everyone, happy planning!!! :)