Riu Negril: January 2011 - Photographer recommendation needed!! Also, any other tips, advice if you've been there or known someone who was married there!

Hi Matzah!

I got married @ Iberostar, and like you, I wasn't sure what to do about the photographer.... I first looked at what the hotel offered, but then did some research on this website & looked through photo's of other Jamaica Weddings and started to pick out traits of the photos I liked...i.e. = color, candid shots, TTD sessions.  After narrowing down a few photographers that I liked (I believe there is a forum here for Jamaica Vendors/Photographers) - I contacted them to see if they were available & their rates.

For us, we went to Melissa Green Photography - I loved her photos, the colors & the TTD sessions that she had previously done.  Since we had events going on the night before - Rehearsal Dinner w/beach Party, the wedding, and then wanting to do a TTD session the day after...we decided on flying in photographers into Jamaica vs. using local ones w/in Jamaica.  Using Locals....You still had to spend money (gas, etc) for transportation for the local photographers to get to your resort (and also pay for day passes each day they were there).  So for us, it was much nicer to have our Photographers staying there with us as the hotel, getting to know them (and having them get to know our friends/family), and it worked out great for us.

Again, shop around on the photographer's websites & look for photos you like or want to see for your wedding day...and see if they have people who recommend them :)  Again, my recommendation is for Melissa Green :)

hope that helps, good luck to you! :)

Stacie

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for the info! We've booked Club Riu Negril and not so sure we did the right thing. We are finding so many bad reviews about the resort and the beach. The pics we've seen so far doesn't really help. Anyone out there who got married at that resort?sad.gif

We are hoping to add decorations and flowers to add more class to the wedding.

I'm also getting married at the Club Riu Negril and although I'm not sure what we're doing in terms of photographer, I can tell you to take all those bad reviews with a grain of salt.

I know Lisa on this forum was married there this past January and had a great review!

My FI and I actually decided on the resort because my aunt, who is also our TA, spent a week at the resort in May and they absolutely LOVED it!!!!! They are so excited to go back when they come for my wedding!  With her being a TA, and having travelled all over the place, I fully trust her opinion hence why we went ahead and booked.  If you look closely at the reviews online, you'll find MANY more good ones vs the bad ones! ;)

Lua,

Thank you, that helps ease the pain a little bit.  We've read bad reviews stating: bad beach, cockroaches, poor food quality, rude staff, theft...poor reception dinner organization/service by the resort staff.

Can your aunt shed some more light on the resort, does she have any pics?

Also, we found a great photographer who is local in Jamaica.... smile159.gif

Best Images, Michael is the owner, and the website is: http://www.photoshopjamaica.com/

I'm also getting married at the resort and have read the online reviews. I agree with Lua, you really can't take them at face value. Everyone has different opinions and different standards and there are definitely more good than bad. Although I don't know anyone that's been married there, I know people who have vacationed there and everyone only tells me good things. I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you're expecting a grand 5*+ then you may be disappointed. I'm also very much a beach person and the bad reviews about the beach did scare me at first. But it's kind of nice to have all this great sealife right in front of you, just put your snorkelling gear on and go! Then if you want a nicer beach I found out that you can walk 5minutes down towards the Riu Palace and use that beach, which is suppose to be a bit nicer. I don't think you'll regret it!

As for the photographer, I have someone coming down.There are great reviews of Diane (or Diana Campbell) on this forum and when I contacted her she gave me a great price!

My aunt actually didn't have any pics to show me, however, I actually have a friend who had been a year ago with her fiancee and took a video. she burned the video and sent it to me and the place looks amazing!  They walked all over the resort while taping and it just made my FI and I even more excited for our trip.

Originally Posted by matzah1 View Post

Lua,

Thank you, that helps ease the pain a little bit.  We've read bad reviews stating: bad beach, cockroaches, poor food quality, rude staff, theft...poor reception dinner organization/service by the resort staff.

Can your aunt shed some more light on the resort, does she have any pics?

Also, we found a great photographer who is local in Jamaica.... smile159.gif

Best Images, Michael is the owner, and the website is: http://www.photoshopjamaica.com/

Hello All, I got married at the RIU Negril, in July and the resort was great.  I would not pay any attention to what you read online.  We didn't have any problems with bugs, the food was great, and the staff was amazing.  The resort was clean and the beach was nice.  I too read thos bad reviews, but not sure where they came from after visiting the RIU.  My wedding was great and so was Dionne.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.  Oh  I used Marcia Roberts for my pictures, she was amazing and fun to work with.

Congrats guys..!! i get married in Jamaica as well, and as i can see you are looking for a photographer, i would strongly recommend John from dreamlandphotographer, he is the one that do our wedding and he is really good...!! you can contact him at dreamlandphotographer@yahoo.com congrats again.