Weddings over... What to keep?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Island Bride

Island Bride
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

So Im noticing myself having a really hard time letting go of anything thats related to my wedding. Its been over 2 months and my little house is beyond cluttered with this stuff, but I just cant part with most of it. I find myself making excuses to keep it when my husband tells me I need to get rid of it! I cant even have guests come stay over because my spare room is so packed with all this. The holidays are fastly approaching so that means lots of relatives to come visit so I guess this is the only thing thats gonna light a fire under me! I was just wondering what everyones mandatory must keeps are after their wedding. Ex: veil, cake cutting utensils, ring bear pillow, flower girl basket stuff like that. Thanks!

#2 Thomasjsgirl

• 1,098 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

I would keep some mementoes (like one of your wedding favours, a travel mug or two, your cake topper, etc.). I have a dress box that I put a few other mementoes in and although I still have my dress, I'm not emotionally attached to it and may sell or donate it. I think the important thing is to let go of the decorative stuff, as you probably have plenty of plenty of pictures of the decor and you don't need it clogging up your space.

Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
      Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
      Leftover Wedding Items FS:

#3 BecaJ

• 75 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm going to be the same as you. I think the best thing is just to keep enough to fill a shoe box. Things such as an invitation, place name etc. I'm going keep alot of my planning stuff aswel which I think would be nice to look back on.

I wanted to get my boquet preserved and put it in a frame or something but obviously with having a DW it won't be possible, unless I could locate a local florist which is probably unlikely. x

#4 vcwedding2011

• 286 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

Keep the things that make you remember the most special moments about your wedding day.

If you tear, it's a keeper!

#5 Island Bride

Island Bride
          • 330 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Good advice ladys! I especially like yours Vcwedding2011!

#6 emma27

• 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

I think you've got some great advice here. Pick a box, and no matter what, anything you're going to keep has to fit into that box (aside from you wedding dress, of course).

Get Him to Propose

#7 Island Bride

Island Bride
              • 330 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I guess I'll have to pick a really big box ;)

#8 Kendall

• 234 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

This is wedding #2 for me.  The things I kept from my first wedding were video, pictures, ring-carrier's pillow, unity candle, champagne goblets, copy of the program and our invitations.  My daughter has looked through the stuff several times and enjoyed doing so - I also have my dress and veil from my first wedding which my 14-year old says is "out of style" now -- so no chance of her wearing it, I guses.  So I'd say just keep the stuff that is really sentimental to you -- or you could see your kids using one day.

#9 Island Bride

Island Bride
                  • 330 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Everything you mentioned Kendall I am for sure keeping :D A lot of stuff I had customized with our names on them so I have no choice but to keep which I should of thought of ahead of time :/

#10 wahmsuzanne

• 131 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Well don't feel bad about not getting to it soon ... it's been over a year and I haven't gotten rid of anything yet (also drives my husband crazy). I had/have high hopes of using some of it ... like the starfish I think I'll use to decorate a photo wall ... but I do need to part with some of it ... great reminder ;) LOL

P.S. Kendall ... second for me too and my daughter loves looking through anything I have left from marriage to her daddy ... (lost some of it in a house fire). I too kept my dress but instead of possibly making her feel obligated to wear it ... I'm thinking of making her something out of the fabric ... a small pillow or as a cover to a photo album or something like that ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users