Long ROR Wedding Review-Secrets Wild Orchid Honeymoon Review w/ Pics

YUM YUM

I have a few questions for you, because alot of what you decided on for your extras is similar to what I want but was so confused as to how the Private pool reception worked, inregards to pricing.

Did you buy a specific wedding package? and then have to pay $55/pp on top of that? were kids any cheaper? 

Did they set up ur pool side reception with standar decor, or did you have to put extra money out for reception decorations as well?

is the butterfly release something new on the extras list? i havent seen or heard of it before, sounds nice.

How did you pay for everything, was it mostly credit card, or cash, or travelers cheques? Ive heard and read so many different things.

Thank you for the detailed review :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm happy to help

1) I booked the "free package" which isn't really free it's about $350 and that takes care of minister fees/legal fees/ etc. It always cheapest to go with this option and just add on as you wish. At your meeting with the coordinator they will confirm with you which package you want so even if you booked something different through the Riu website you can change it.

2) On top of that fee I paid $55/pp for the private poolside reception. This includes an open bar. Children under the age of 4 are free but anyone over that price is still $55/pp.

3) They can set it up the decorations anyway that you wish, I didn't go w/anything extra though because I had ordered the chivari chairs which were a nice touch. The tables are round tables that seat about 8ppl and have white cloth linen over them. They then add glasses and dishes. I think the buffet table was a bit dressed up but I didn't pay extra. All extras will come through Tai Flora so if you decide that you want something different you could email them to ask about pricing and different decor set-ups at the Riu.

4) The butterfly release was not something I had planned on. A relative who lives in Ocho Rios contacted the coordinator and discussed this with her and paid for it. So if it's something you want email them before hand and they can find someone to do it. We released 50 butterflies and it was $150. When I look at the photos though its not even noticeable but the guests found it to be a nice touch. Basically after you have kissed and been announced the minister went through a spiel about the significance of the butterfly release and then we released them. There were also guests who were given butterflies to release as well so it was cute. In the coordinators office they have wedding pics w/doves being released so I'm sure you can get just about anything you want if you ask for it.

5) As of now with the new coordinators there you can pay for everything via credit card. It was Chandlyn (the coordinator who is no longer there) who was requesting some things be paid in cash and some in other ways. So when you meet with the coordinator she will give you the total and an invoice that you take to the front desk and they charge it for you. Initially I was really worried and confused about that too because I was concerned about traveling with large amounts of cash. But no worries you can charge it.

Originally Posted by OchoRiosBride2010 View Post

YUM YUM

I have a few questions for you, because alot of what you decided on for your extras is similar to what I want but was so confused as to how the Private pool reception worked, inregards to pricing.

Did you buy a specific wedding package? and then have to pay $55/pp on top of that? were kids any cheaper? 

Did they set up ur pool side reception with standar decor, or did you have to put extra money out for reception decorations as well?

is the butterfly release something new on the extras list? i havent seen or heard of it before, sounds nice.

How did you pay for everything, was it mostly credit card, or cash, or travelers cheques? Ive heard and read so many different things.

Thank you for the detailed review :)

Hi YumYum,

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it and it answered a lot of my questions. 

Another one I do have for you is regarding the fire dancers.  Did you get them through the resort or on your own?  What is the cost for fire dancers, is it per hour and is one hour or 30 mins enough time for their performance?

I'm also glad to hear that the $55 per person included open bar...I always thought it was another $10 per person.  How about the cake?  I've been in touch with a Joanne Hutchinson that the RIU gave me as a contact for cakes.  If you deal with her directly rather than the RIU, does it cost extra for whatever requests you make through her vs the resort?  Not sure if you can answer that but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks a lot,

Sherryl

I got the firedancers through the hotel, they came from Negril and the price is $350 for a 15 minute performance. Trust me 15 minutes is all you will need because it will get old after awhile. The hotel itself also has fire dancers that can perform at your wedding but they were unavailable for mine. The cost is $450 for 3 performances which is about 15 minutes total.

I think the Riu uses Sheila's Bakery. I started to do that option and it's about $350 but we already had a black cake that a family member was making and the dinner itself comes with 2 cakes, so I just went w/the free cake because I figured with so many cake options no one was going to eat it. If you have someone from outside do your cake there is no additional cost to bring it in because they are just dropping it off and the hotel is used to that. However if you use an outside photographer you must pay for a $75 day pass for them to come on the property.

Originally Posted by sherryl_joy View Post

Hi YumYum,

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it and it answered a lot of my questions. 

Another one I do have for you is regarding the fire dancers.  Did you get them through the resort or on your own?  What is the cost for fire dancers, is it per hour and is one hour or 30 mins enough time for their performance?

I'm also glad to hear that the $55 per person included open bar...I always thought it was another $10 per person.  How about the cake?  I've been in touch with a Joanne Hutchinson that the RIU gave me as a contact for cakes.  If you deal with her directly rather than the RIU, does it cost extra for whatever requests you make through her vs the resort?  Not sure if you can answer that but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks a lot,

Sherryl