Groom Wearing Shorts?

OoOoh I really lke these! My FI has just informed me he doesn't want to wear a suit....here I am browzing ivory/beige suits because he originally told me he wanted a suit only to find out he doesn't even like the beige suits and he no longer wants to wear one lol. He wants white shirts but long sleevd so he can roll them up and black shorts...still not sure how I feel about black shorts just because it doesn't really go with our theme but we'll see when he starts trying things on. Then I asked him how we were going to make him lok different then the guys and asked if he would wear a boutenier...and he rolled his eyes and agreed haha. He hasn't piped up about much of the planning other than when I ask what he thinks so ill let him have this one. He also said he would wear a white suit instead but again its out of our color theme..my dress is ivory do you ladies think white would go okay?

I think you can do what you want. My FI has choosen shorts and a short sleeve dress shirt for his GM. But he surprised me by wanting to be dressed up himself, he has choosen a white linen suit! The wedding is as much his, as it is yours. Let him choose what he would like to wear, but maybe draw the line at board shorts LOL! You may be very surprised at what he chooses, I know I was. Here's the photo of the GM clothes. P8120165.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dallace!

What is your color theme? You could maybe suggest a light grey suit (if he wants a suit) or grey dress shorts. The shorts we used in our wedding were dress shorts, looked exactly like a pair of pin stripped dress pants, but cut off at the knee. Really this is a decision for you and your husband to make in terms of how fancy you want the wedding to be. I wore a full lace gown, but wanted the wedding to feel relaxed. So the girls wore turquoise sundresses and the guys wore the short sleeve dress shirts and dress shorts. Looked clean and polished, but relaxed and fit in with the beach wedding scene. We bought the guys clothes from www.dogfunk.com -maybe take a look and see if something appears that you and your FI like.

In terms of your husband standing out from the groomsmen....maybe he can wear the long sleeves, and the groomsmen short sleeves? Or maybe the groomsmen can have a colored shirt to match the wedding colors? My husband got his shirt custom made on www.iTailor.com and they have a ton of color choices, and styles. Or maybe have them wear bowties/ties in different colors? You might also be able to convince your FI to wear a linen pant for the ceremony and change into shorts for after??

Good luck, and if there are any other questions, feel free to ask. If you click on my profile, you should find some photos from the wedding to see how the shorts look.

Hi murmal!

My color theme is orange, ivory, with splashes of tourquis (not sure about my spelling there lol). My dress is a very dark ivory, and my girls dress' are orange. A light grey suit would definately go okay, I'll have to run it past him. Bah, silly boys. When I asked him what he wanted to wear when I was looking through things at the begining he said "I'll wear whatever you put me in" I was thinking okay sweet and totally envisioned him in a creamy beachy suit. He said if he was to wear a suit he wants a black or white suit and decided that black would be to hot (which I don't think is fair since I'm going to be sweating my kahunas off in my dress) and I kind of think with a white suit he might look out of place lol.  He seems pretty ademate on his black shorts so I was thinking of black pinstripe if anything so it softens it up a bit but I will definately suggest grey and see what he thinks. I also asked him about putting him in long sleeve and the boys in short sleeves...no go, he's being a little bit difficult on this one lol. Good thing we have time to play with. I'm going to see if I can convince him to either wear a tie or have the boys wear a tie and see where it goes from there, if not he IS wearing a boutenier whether he likes it or not lol. Who knows maybe he'll change his mind about the suit. Thank you so much for your suggestions! I thought dressing the boys would be the easy part haha...I will keep you posted and see where I get with him! Your weddign was absolutely beautiful by the way, Congratulations!

Dallace, first of all, don't worry it will work out in the end. Surprisingly I would let your FI take a look at wedding photos on his own, and let him come up with some ideas. It was more my husband's idea as to what he and the GM wore. As much as he says "I'll wear whatever"... I am always surprised by the guys and how important what they feel like and wear is truly important to them. Try not to forget it's his day to, and he should get to choose his outfit (unless it's truly horrible LOL).

I do agree, although a white suit is lovely for the beach...not so much up close to an ivory dress. So I would definitely lean towards grey, or beige. See if he might agree to wearing a nice cream/ivory shirt, while the guys wear orange shirts maybe??? Or maybe white shirts with turquoise ties???

Thanks for the compliments! embarrest.gif

LOL. Yes I know everything will work out in the end, it always does! He could be in a lime green suit and I would still marry him.. Now lets hope thats not what he ends up deciding on haha - could make for some interesting pictures. I'll throw some ideas out there for him to think about and see what he comes up with, he may suprise me and end up wearing a suit! Thanks for your ideas! It's nice to have some input from other ladies, I'm constantly judging whether what I'm putting together looks okay or not.

I think it depends on how formal you want your wedding to be.  We invited our male guests to wear shorts as well and my husband opted for them as well. They were all comfortable and no one wore grubby shorts.  Most of the ladies wore sundresses and my dress wasn't overly formal, so it worked for us.Us4.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

HI Ladies,

My FI is set on wearing shorts but we are getting "dress" shorts in dark charcoal for him and the groomsmen with white button up shirts. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it when he said he wanted to do that because we love the beach and thats why we're getting married there - for the simplicity! My dress is simple so I don't think he'll look underdressed next to me. He said he may wear a tie just to dress it up a bit, I love the idea. And all of us will be barefoot so I think it will all blend nicely. 

Plus - I would much rather the groom and his men be comfortable then dying of heat and a sweaty, miserable mess in all the pics!