EDR-Cocktail Reception & Dinner??

W're getting marrried at El Dorado Royale on January 19, 2008 at 3pm and were thinking of doing the two hour white glove cocktail reception then the seated/plated private dinner event at Tucanes.

Are any other EDR brides doing both?

Also, has anyone figured out what they are going to do for flowers/decorations with Lomas?

Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bre!

No we aren't going to do both. I plan on getting married at 4, then my guests can a couple of hours to do whatever, although we will suggest a casual get together at one of the bars. and then move to the reception at one of the locations. I hoping to use Tucanes also, but I am sure of my numbers right now. If we have less then 50 we will have it there. If we have 64 or more guests I will request the restaurant La Isla, but if have in between those numbers - we will have it on the beach, as there is no open air location that will allow between these 2 numbers for the type of dinner we want to have (BBQ Deluxe)

As for flowers/decorations, I'm still working on this. What are you going to do?

La Isla would be a beautiful spot. We even enjoyed it just for dinner during our visit. We only plan on having about 35 people though so that's not really an option for us. I think Tucanes will be good, not my first choice but for some reason they do not seem to fully utilize all of their space options.

Still trying to figure out flowers and decor. Their website is pretty limited. Someone did mention that if we send them photos of what we want for flowers at least one month prior they should be able to do it. I hope they are right!

With our ceremony at 3 I'm afraid people could get bored without something organized waiting for the dinner. Hopefully, it works out okay :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre View Post
La Isla would be a beautiful spot. We even enjoyed it just for dinner during our visit. We only plan on having about 35 people though so that's not really an option for us. I think Tucanes will be good, not my first choice but for some reason they do not seem to fully utilize all of their space options.

Still trying to figure out flowers and decor. Their website is pretty limited. Someone did mention that if we send them photos of what we want for flowers at least one month prior they should be able to do it. I hope they are right!

With our ceremony at 3 I'm afraid people could get bored without something organized waiting for the dinner. Hopefully, it works out okay :-)
oh, I'm sure it will! and I love Tucanes - I think it will be great for a reception site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post
I hoping to use Tucanes also, but I am sure of my numbers right now. If we have less then 50 we will have it there. If we have 64 or more guests I will request the restaurant La Isla, but if have in between those numbers - we will have it on the beach, as there is no open air location that will allow between these 2 numbers for the type of dinner we want to have (BBQ Deluxe)
So we've decided on Tucanes. Never heard a thing from our WC about the numbers. She just got our guest list, so we'll see if it becomes an issue. We're not doing the BBQ, so maybe that makes a difference... Just a cocktail 2 hrs followed by 2 hr dessert buffet that they set up for us...

Want to hear the crazy thing? They just told me today, that the speaker/iPod set-up we requested is charged "per event." AND, that they are counting our reception as 2 events since it's technically a cocktail hour and then the desserts!!!

I'm not even mad because it still has me laughing! There's no way in hell I am paying $500 for them to bring that out and set it up once. I would honestly choose to move the site of the reception half way through just so they have to move everything before I would pay double the price!!!

This must be one of those "Lomas things"... Hope I don't have to say that too many more times!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigopens View Post
Want to hear the crazy thing? They just told me today, that the speaker/iPod set-up we requested is charged "per event." AND, that they are counting our reception as 2 events since it's technically a cocktail hour and then the desserts!!!

I'm not even mad because it still has me laughing! There's no way in hell I am paying $500 for them to bring that out and set it up once. I would honestly choose to move the site of the reception half way through just so they have to move everything before I would pay double the price!!!

This must be one of those "Lomas things"... Hope I don't have to say that too many more times!!!

I know it's ridiculous!!! But it's still cheaper than the DJ and WHO KNOWS what they would play... Which WC are you working with?

It is getting to be somewhat of an annoyance to hear about all these silly fees that aren't stated anywhere. I wonder if it would be worth contacting Faith about this? She's their head of marketing based in the US. My travel agent contacted her when we were hearing from the WCs when they were going through the staffing changes.

As for food, we are going to do a sit-down plated dinner. I like the idea of the dessert bar though. That should be fun! and tasty!

I didn't even know you could do a desert bar!! very cool!

Well if they have your guest list, and they haven't said anything about not having it at Tucanes - then just make sure you have all your emails about it and then just expect to have a fight about it at the resort, if they bring it up.

I'll be very interested to find out if they say anything at the resort!

As for the ipod charge - that is ridculous! give me a break!! I don't know what would be better (1) bringing it up and fight with Lomus; (2) leave it and fight with the WC at the resort.

I have a question: which ceremony place has everyone chosen? I have chose the casita's location, but I am starting to rethink it. I defintily want it on the beach, but I would like a more private area. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a more secluded area on the beach (big enough for 50 + people). Is it possible to have it on a location that is not one of their gazebos?

We're having a Welcome Reception (with the donkey) the night before the wedding ceremony. We're planning on getting married the following day at 5:00 pm then having the "free wedding reception dinner" at 6:30. Since people will want to dance, we're going to have a mini private reception (2 hours) by the beach outside in front of the casitas - they're going to charge us $8.00/person for this. We'll still have to pay $250 for the sound system and $240 or so for the dance floor if we need one. I am noticing that the little fees are really adding up, but there's little we can do about it - goodness knows I've tried, but we really have no leverage anymore. I've decided to stop stressing about it, though, and just go with it. All of the EDR brides who have got married there only have positive things to say, so I'm hoping that in the end, I won't care about how much money we've spent. I just want everything to go smoothly and everyone to have one of the best times they've ever had at a wedding. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post

I have a question: which ceremony place has everyone chosen? I have chose the casita's location, but I am starting to rethink it. I defintily want it on the beach, but I would like a more private area. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a more secluded area on the beach (big enough for 50 + people). Is it possible to have it on a location that is not one of their gazebos?
We're going to get married in the chapel. That can accomodate up to 80 people and so far, we're at 40. I think you can do the secluded beach thing - check with Monica.