What is the Format of your Reception??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is pretty good! The only think my photographer suggested was to get all of the "important moments" out of the way early so they aren't missed later.  Our photographer isn't staying the entire reception (we're using the extra time to do bride/groom pics before the reception) so we're doing the cake cutting, first dances, etc all before dinner. 

Originally Posted by JanineA View Post

Sorry if there is already another thread with this but I searched and couldn't find one. My dj just asked me what is the format of my reception and I have no clue. I was thinking something as follows:

Arrival of guests

Intro of Bridal Party

Intro of Newlyweds

Dinner (during dinner have the speeches by MOH and Best Man and toasts)

First Dance

Bride/Father Dance

Groom/Mother Dance

Cake Cutting

Everyone get down and boogy

What are you ladies doing? What is your format going to look like? I have been to 6 weddings already for the year and sadly I can't even remember what the format was like. I was just at two on Saturday alone....lol. I'm attending another one this Saturday, perhaps I will pay better attention. Would love to hear your thoughts though.

Your photographer suggesting to get all of the "important moments" done early is definetly a good point to keep in mind, because I think most photographers don't stay the entire time. Thank you for that tip:) 

Originally Posted by cgeris View Post

This is pretty good! The only think my photographer suggested was to get all of the "important moments" out of the way early so they aren't missed later.  Our photographer isn't staying the entire reception (we're using the extra time to do bride/groom pics before the reception) so we're doing the cake cutting, first dances, etc all before dinner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanineA View Post

Sorry if there is already another thread with this but I searched and couldn't find one. My dj just asked me what is the format of my reception and I have no clue. I was thinking something as follows:

Arrival of guests

Intro of Bridal Party

Intro of Newlyweds

Dinner (during dinner have the speeches by MOH and Best Man and toasts)

First Dance

Bride/Father Dance

Groom/Mother Dance

Cake Cutting

Everyone get down and boogy

What are you ladies doing? What is your format going to look like? I have been to 6 weddings already for the year and sadly I can't even remember what the format was like. I was just at two on Saturday alone....lol. I'm attending another one this Saturday, perhaps I will pay better attention. Would love to hear your thoughts though.

I hadn't really thought about this yet and assumed it would be done by the WC - we talked about some general items already.  We're more informal so I think we will just have:

bride and groom announced

first dance

dinner (buffet style so I guess its not as critical to time with courses)

speeches during dinner

dancing

cake cutting

more dancing

I don't want to do cake right away - give people a break between dinner and dessert.  But I am making sure it's before the photographer leaves.  We are paying him hourly and I believe I have him for about 2-2.5 hours during the reception so cake will be at the 2 hour mark.  We're not doing the bouquet/garter toss (I honestly don't think I have anymore single friends to catch it).

We're doing the ipod thing as well - no dj.

We will get our guests to provide us with names of two of their fav songs. and we will set playlists. 

I will have my witness announce us (newlyweds)

As we wait for dinner, we will thank our guests etc. if anyone wants to make speaches during dinner - all the power to them.

After dinner we'll cut the cake.

Then head down to the beach for our party; first dance etc.

I'm really NOT stressing over the order. I chose to do DW just for the reason - no stress; go with the flow kind of thing.