Help! Wedding Dress Let Down

Hey Ladies,

I'm so sad and angry I just don't know what to do.  I bought my dress through a local bridal shop and I was waiting for the dress to arrive in September.  (My wedding is in November)  The dress is fully paid for.   Today the owner of the bridal shop called me to tell me the factory that was making my dress closed down and I can no longer get the dress I bought.  I"m so sad, the dress was amazing!!  I felt so beautiful.

The owner of the bridal shop said that I could have the sample dress off the rack and she would pay for the alterations.(it was a size too big but now that I've lost 20lbs, I think it is 2 sizes too big)  She made no offer to give it to me at a discount. I was in too much shock to further discuss the options with her over the phone so I have a meeting with her later.

What should I do?  Do I ask for discount on the dress and hope the alterations are acceptable  or do I attempt to go shopping for a new dress?? I'm just sad that it had to happen.  I really loved that dress.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would meet with her and check out the condition of the dress.  If it needs to be cleaned or has any damage, I would definitely ask for a discount.  In fact, there is really no harm in asking for a discount either way.  You are buying the sample after all.

In terms of taking the dress in 2 sizes, that will depend on the dress I think.  I would meet with the seamstress while you are there and get her opinion.  My dress needs to be taken in quite a lot (salesperson insisted I buy a size bigger plus I've lost weight so the dress is huge on me) but I've been assured by the seamstress that it is no problem at all with taking in my dress. 

Try the dress on again, if you still love it, its in good condition and it can be altered, I'd go with the dress.  If you don't love the sample or its not in great shape or can't be altered, look for something else.  However, the problem with looking for something else is that it may not be in in time for your wedding so you need to make sure you are looking at dresses with a short delivery time.  Good luck.

Girl, I am a total pitbull of a personality. When something like this happens, I go NUTS at people. You deserve it at a discount AND she should not only throw in the alterations, but free cleaning/repair and anything else with the dress. AND you should get a free damn veil.

Go nuts, if you aren't a crazy person like me, cry your way out of it. Do what you have to, but you deserve to be treated better than that from somewhere you gave so much money to. Oh, and if you still love your original dress, SHE should be the one to find another manufacturer to make it for you and SHE should incur the rush costs.

Sorry, but I'm not one to stand for anything less than the premier in customer service. I'm not a snob per se but this is a bridal salon and your wedding dress, not just some restaurant that messed up your order or something. Give them hell girlie!!

i'm sorry this happened and i can only imagine how let down you are.  but also remember that the FACTORY shut down, the bridal shop had nothing to do with it.  i would definately be firm, but nice about the situation. as cindy mentioned, try the dress on again, talk to the seamstress and bring your mom or a friend along so that you have several people inspecting the condition of the sample.  while you would normally get a discount on a sample dress, the bridal shop has said they would cover the cost of alterations so the discount might not be as much or you might not get one at all.  good luck!!

I agree, if the dress you ordered is no longer available and the sample is the store should throw in the alterations (which can cost quiet a bit) and offer the cleaning and steaming of the dress (Most stores, when purchasing floor samples, offer complimentary cleaning a few weeks prior to the wedding day.) Im sure the store owner wont have a problem doing any of these things for you.  If not you og NUTS on her and demand ALL of your money back (she may try to just give you a portion.)

As far as getting the dress taken 2 sizes smaller.  I was just a bridesmaid a few weeks ago, and I lost alot of weight exactly two sizes smaller.  It doesnt matter how small you get, the seamstress will make your dress look like it should.

Congratulations, and keep us posted on your meeting!  Good luck!!

Originally Posted by Cindy* View Post

I would meet with her and check out the condition of the dress.  If it needs to be cleaned or has any damage, I would definitely ask for a discount.  In fact, there is really no harm in asking for a discount either way.  You are buying the sample after all.

In terms of taking the dress in 2 sizes, that will depend on the dress I think.  I would meet with the seamstress while you are there and get her opinion.  My dress needs to be taken in quite a lot (salesperson insisted I buy a size bigger plus I've lost weight so the dress is huge on me) but I've been assured by the seamstress that it is no problem at all with taking in my dress. 

Try the dress on again, if you still love it, its in good condition and it can be altered, I'd go with the dress.  If you don't love the sample or its not in great shape or can't be altered, look for something else.  However, the problem with looking for something else is that it may not be in in time for your wedding so you need to make sure you are looking at dresses with a short delivery time.  Good luck.

I agree with what someone posted earlier. It was the factory that went out of business - so you can't really blame the bridal shop. How were they to know? The alterations can add up pretty quickly so I think that the bridal shop was being fair by paying for the alterations - especially if they are changing the dress by 2 sizes.

Also, I have been told the seamstresses can work magic. I am sure they will do a great job on altering the dress if that is what you decide. Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted by sweetluna View Post

Hey Ladies,

I'm so sad and angry I just don't know what to do.  I bought my dress through a local bridal shop and I was waiting for the dress to arrive in September.  (My wedding is in November)  The dress is fully paid for.   Today the owner of the bridal shop called me to tell me the factory that was making my dress closed down and I can no longer get the dress I bought.  I"m so sad, the dress was amazing!!  I felt so beautiful.

The owner of the bridal shop said that I could have the sample dress off the rack and she would pay for the alterations.(it was a size too big but now that I've lost 20lbs, I think it is 2 sizes too big)  She made no offer to give it to me at a discount. I was in too much shock to further discuss the options with her over the phone so I have a meeting with her later.

What should I do?  Do I ask for discount on the dress and hope the alterations are acceptable  or do I attempt to go shopping for a new dress?? I'm just sad that it had to happen.  I really loved that dress.

So sorry to hear that!  I know that must be extremely frustrating.  I would definitely ask the owner to give you a discount on the dress and ask her for an honest opinion about the alterations.  Worst case... how about you get the dress made from Gianinar Bridal?  You can see some reviews on them in the Knock off Dress thread.  Good luck!!!