Dreams Tulum or Dreams Cancun?

• VIP Member

The only thing that stands out in my mind is that with Dreams Cacun when you look at pictures you see other hotels along the beach. Personally I don't like that. Other than that, they are both beautiful resorts.

Oh yeah, and Dreams Tulum is around an hour drive from the airport.

Although I've never been to Tulum I'd go with that over Cancun just because I like that it's further out of the "touristy" zone. Have you been to Cancun before? It is very Americanized. I took my FI there for the first time last year and he was greatly disappointed. Not only was Cancun devastated from the Hurricane but most of the restaurants and shops look like something you could find in America. We ended up paying to upgrade to a sister resort in Playa del Carmen. Personally when I think of a DW I think more tropical and a little more out of the way. Although I'm sure Dreams Cancun is beautiful and I know a lot of girls on here are getting married there I would personally tend to lean towards Dreams Tulum.

Some things to consider as major differences between the two besides distance from the airport. Dreams Cancun has a gazebo cliffside. It's a permanent round structure perched on a peninsula - very pretty but also very windy. Dreams Tulum has a small chapel - this may be important if you want a religious ceremony. The Cancun location is on the bar strip so all you have to do is step outside and you're within walking distance of the nightlife scene; it also has one of the best salsa clubs in Cancun associated with it so you would get in free. Tulum has some Mayan ruins within biking distance and is closer to some of the ecological parks. OH, and I think Dreams Cancun just added a dolphin thing there....

Hope that helps.

-Vi-

dreams tulum is less expensive room rate wise...

it is in riviera maya instead of cancun...cancun obviously has more stuff to do while tulum is more chill...i am a more riviera maya gal myself but that is because i live in san francisco so when i got out of the country i want quiet

I agree with the girls... one is more "private" and the other not. Tulum is so private that they don't even give you a bracelet to wear ! No one can actually walk from Hotel to Hotel at Dreams Tulum !

As for your budget, Tulum is less expensive (rooms) so this is also a point to think of when you reserve (think of your guests)

I believe my TA and another bride on here said the trip to tulum from the airport is about 2 hours, for me that was a big downfall because I have guests that are coming for just 3 or 4 days and I don't want them to spend two of them traveling all day.

Also, the wristband thing, dreams cancun doesn't have wristbands either.

In regards to dreams cancun being close to the nightlife, yes I have heard that, but I've also heard once you get inside the resort its like another world, peace & quiet. The gazebo is gorgeous, I don't care about the wind, getting married on the beach can be windy too.

I think they're both beautiful resorts, just depends what you want, but the travel time nixed tulum for us.

I of course am partial to Dreams Cancun because I'm getting married there and I have been there. I have not been to Dreams Tulum. So I can't and wouldn't want to comment specifically on a place I have never been. Just so know the perspective I'm coming from.

My FI and I originally went to Dreams Cancun last October. He had a few vacation days to burn, and we were looking for a relaxing, tropical place to get away. I did A LOT of searching on the interent, I looked into places all over Mexico, and the Carribean. Since we only had time for a quick 4-day vacation, I didn't want to spend 2 of those days traveling. We live in the Chicago area, so there are daily direct flights to the Cancun/RM area. So that seemed like a better bet for us than Cabo (where I originally was thinking I wanted to go) which would be a much longer flight and require a stop. So, we decided on flying into Cancun. I didn't want to stay in Cancun though, because I had been there a couple times before for spring break, and I had that stereotype of Cancun stuck in my head. We definitely wanted a relaxing, romantic vacation. We weren't looking into doing any clubbing.

So I started looking into places in RM and Playa del Carmen. There were lots of great places, but they all required at least an hour ride, most likely longer because the buses/vans stop at various resorts along the way. Dreams Tulum was going to be at least 2 hours. We just didn't want to spend our vacation traveling. So with hesitation, we decided Cancun would be best for us. We could leave Chicago at 9am, and literally be on the beach by 1pm. Plus, on the last day we could have breakfast, sit by the pool and not have to rush out right away in the morning.

There are so many places in Cancun, but we picked Dreams not only because it is an all-inclusive, but because it is situated on a point known as "Punta Cancun". It is NOT downtown, and it is not in the hotel strip.

I was so pleasantly surprised by Cancun. The hurricane was obviously devestating, but also a real opportunity to start fresh. They have really geared the rebuilding towards upscale, first-class resorts, as opposed to spring-break hot spots. At Dreams, there was absolutely NO evidence of a hurricane. The beaches at Dreams do not "connect" to other hotels (like on the strip). So there was no "random" people walking along the beach or anyone trying to sell anything.

It was very peaceful and tranquil. Yes, we were there during an off-peak time, but the quaint size of Dreams (just under 400 rooms) makes it far from the craziness of some of the mega resorts, even during high season. If you have guests looking for nightlife, there's no doubt that it is still alive and well in Cancun. And although some of it is within walking distance of Dreams, it feels like it's a world away when you are in the resort.

As Jilly mentioned, there are no wristbands at Dreams. And the service is unbelievable. In fact, I think it's been awarded the "best service" by Apple Vacations on more than one occasion. Everyone was SO accommodating.

Anyway, we loved it so much that we knew we just HAD to have our wedding there. The gazebo location is the most amazing I've seen.

So, anyway, I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other. Dream Tulum I'm sure is fabulous in it's own way, but just wanted to let you know what Dreams Cancun has to offer. Don't be scared off by Cancun's stereotype.

Hope this helps one way or the other.

Thanks for your responses! I feel like I can now distinguish between the two and you have all brought up good points for each.

I originally was convinced I wanted an adults only resort (Secrets Carpi was my fav) but after reading all your reviews about Dreams I decided to look into Dreams. I just couldn't justify the almost $400 a person extra for a 3 night stay at Secrets. Dreams seemed so much more reasonable.

So... right now I like Dreams, I may change my mind tomorrow (although I hope I don't) and I appreciate you guys continuing to help me with my questions!