Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaimeLynne
    Hahaha no way!

It is kind of tempting to go buy one. I've never made a cake with more than one layer... But I think I'll try it anyways! I really think it'll mean a lot more to him - he comes from a home where his Mom made everything from scratch and he's been away from there for awhile now. He'll understand if it turns out "off".... right...? haha
    you could always make cupcakes with it...or just bake in a large sheet pan and frost the top...sometimes it can be a pain to do multi layers.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#13 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
    • VIP Member
    • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by redwards
      You'll do great! Honestly, the layer thing always seems more complicated than it is. As long as the batter turns out right (meaning you don't forget anything important like baking soda or something) you're pretty much just stacking them on top of each other after that.

Two tips for that part:

1) make sure to let them cool all the way. Stick them in the fridge or freezer if you need to hurry things along. They'll be more likely to crumble if they're still warm. making them harder to stack and WAY harder to frost! (frosting will get "melty")

2) Assuming it's two layers, set the bottom layer on the serving plate (after cooling) and use a knife to level off the top of it. You know how most cakes are a little rounded on the top/middle after baking? If you trim off that "bump" then it makes it easier to get your top layer to stack (and stay put!) properly. I only do this to the bottom layer(s) and leave the top loyer rounded 'cause I think it's pretty that way. Esp on a carrot cake 'cause those usually have nuts and stuff on top. And THEN you can taste test from the little bit you trimmed off - yum!! It doesn't have to be perfectly even but fairly even will help you out in the long run.

Hope that made sense!! hard to explain in writing!
      Good advice - that definitely makes sense!

Quote:
      Originally Posted by host
      you could always make cupcakes with it...or just bake in a large sheet pan and frost the top...sometimes it can be a pain to do multi layers.
      I think I'm just gonna go for it! Multi layers here we come...!

I'll try and post a pic of the masterpiece afterwards

~ Jaime & Martin ~
      "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#14 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
      • VIP Member
      • 4,116 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Or maybe I could just drop in and get a slice for myself?!

OR, better yet - You can bake it at my house...dirty up my dishes and everything and I'll just hurry home from work to make sure it's "birthday worthy"!??! Lol!

I'm Soooooo brilliant.

#15 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
        • VIP Member
        • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by redwards
          Or maybe I could just drop in and get a slice for myself?!

OR, better yet - You can bake it at my house...dirty up my dishes and everything and I'll just hurry home from work to make sure it's "birthday worthy"!??! Lol!

I'm Soooooo brilliant.

Hehe, yes - that would've been great! I'm sure we'll have some left overs - he's leaving town tomorrow and we're not huge fans of carrot cake

~ Jaime & Martin ~
          "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#16 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
          • VIP Member
          • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

Check it out! Here's the cake "pre-bake". They're in the oven right now... Wow, I just realized this is not only my first layer cake but also my 1st cake made from scratch

Click the image to open in full size.

~ Jaime & Martin ~
            "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

#17 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 10,366 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

looks yummy!!

#18 DreamsTulumBride

DreamsTulumBride
              • 766 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

How was your carrot cake ?

#19 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                • VIP Member
                • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:46 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by annieroy
                  How was your carrot cake ?
                  The cakes came out great! They're in the fridge now cooling off and I'm about to make the frosting...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                  "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

#20 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                  • VIP Member
                  • 4,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

*Ack* this icing is SWEET! Is that how it's supposed to be...? I haven't had carrot cake much...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users