Photo

To Facebook or not to Facebook...

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 Susan'n'Dean

Susan'n'Dean
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

I think i told parents and siblings, but expected them to tell distant family. I would have announced it on facebook pretty soon after. However, facebook is a night mare, i cant help but post things on it and then think afterwards what a bad idea that was....its lethal lol

#52 gmaurinm

gmaurinm
    • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

There was no signal where he proposed, so i called the three most important people to me as soon as i could and then changed it on facebook.  It actually suprised me how quickly it spread after that

#53 lucy<3woody

lucy<3woody
      • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:59 AM

We were on vacation when we got engaged and I didn't really want to be bothered by calling everyone and having 15 minute phone convos. So instead I texted important people a clever little poem to let them know we got engaged. Most of them figured it was coming :)  This included mom, FMIL, siblings, bridesmaids, aunts and one grandma who gets texts. I then followed up with a text asking that they keep our fun news to themselves and NOT PUT IT ON FACEBOOK because we wanted a chance to tell our families and friends before they found out on a social netwoking site *rolls eyes*.   Everyone was respectful except for FMIL who, within 5 minutes of receiving the text, had already called a couple of her friends and both of FH grandmothers. I was petrubed because I would have liked to have been able to tell the grandmothers....but I think that is a rant for a different thread LOL!!

Long story short, I waited a couple of days before putting it on Facebook becasue we like our privacy and didn't want the people most important to us to find out on the internet. I feel good about the decision looking back :)

#54 Amanda+Dave

Amanda+Dave
        • 509 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

We were in the middle of Algonquin Park on a trail. As soon as I had cell reception I called my mom and my best friend.

My mom preceded to tell everyone she knew and by the time I made it to a computer, my FB wall was full of comments congratulating the two of us.

I was a little bummed that some family members only congratulated me on FB and didn't bother to call.

#55 delgadot

delgadot
          • 284 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

I come from a very large family as well, as long as your closest family and friends were told personally by you then I would not worry about it.

#56 Jolene512

Jolene512
            • 56 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Ah facebook the perpetual crackbook.. I posted our rel.change on FB quite sometime after my FI & I decided to get married. But, he forgot to call and inform his mum (she lives 3000km from us) So she phoned and gave him quite an earful. But she was all giggles and yay's w/ me lol

I'm busy planning my STD cards to mail out.. had to post a msg for all to send me their updated addy's w. me on FB so, it does have it's advantages

#57 Clean122

Clean122
              • Site Supporter
              • 118 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

We told our family first and then changed our status :)

#58 mistibuard

mistibuard
                • 444 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

I didn't have a Facebook account until a few weeks after I was engaged, so there's the answer to that..

**Beaches Turks & Caicos- March 12, 2011**

#59 gonzaloNunez

gonzaloNunez
                  • Insiders
                  • 227 posts
                    • LocationMexico

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

The computer is a tool. There is no difference with the phone for example. Maybe you can talk to the closest members of your family first. But my experience is that once you change your status on FB, people begin to congratulate you immediately, regardless of whether it was by phone, computer or directly that you informed them about your engagement. Another thing, FB is a great tool for the people that is helping you with your wedding (say wedding coordinators, photographers,...). It approach to them in a fabulous way. It helps you to get a closer relationship with them at the moment of your wedding.

Gonzalo

Posted Image

Gonzalo Nunez - WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER - www.gonzalonunez.com - Facebook Fanpage
                    Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Riviera Maya, Mexico, rest of the world.

#60 adales

adales
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 545 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

I called those closes to me and then put it in on facebook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users