HELP!! Need to BUY edible coral for my AHR cake!!

I NEED YOUR HELP, LADIES!!

So, I am having this cake replicated for my AHR:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty cute, right? wink.gif I thought so, too!

Well, the only problem is that the baker who is making it has never made "coral"! Yep, even though she's made a million seashell/beach-themed cakes, she said she may have to leave one of my favorite aspects of the cake (which is the coral) off now! BUMMER!!

Or....can one of you PLEASE SAVE THE DAY and recommend a website where I can BUY edible coral and just have it delivered to my baker so she can still put it on the cake after all?

(NOTE: I don't have a preference on what it's made of, or come to think of it, even if it's edible or not at this point!!)

Any suggestions, girls? THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

Hi IslandBride!!

Can your baker "practice" using some royal icing and sugar sprinkled on top for some added dimension? That's what it looks like to me.

You could even practice at home and try it. Maybe save a few bucks by providing the decoration hehehe...

I think the coral would be too delicate to have mailed. You could also try another bakery who may have an artist able to re-create that piece of your cake?

Lots of luck!! It IS a GORGEOUS cake!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSteph View Post
You can try this number! 501-988-2400 cakes by sam

They sell pre made cake fondant and gumpaste cake decorations

I would just ask them if they can make the coral and ship it to you or your decorator.

Good luck
OMG, Steph!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just checked out their website and I think I might just be in luck!! :)

And THANK YOU to everyone else who's responded...they are all excellent suggestions, and I feel a whole lot better about finding a way to "Have my cake, and EAT the coral on it, too! :)

I checked out the place I bought my chocolate seashells from (chocolate fantasies) and sadly they dont make coral as its too fragile to ship but they do give directions (about 3/4 down the page) by melting chocolate

"Just melt the chocolate on low for a few minutes and stir every minute or so until the chocolate is of a smooth consistency, warm, but not hot. Fill a sturdy plastic bag or pastry piping bag, snip the corner to desired size and squeeze chocolate onto silicone sheets, waxed or parchment paper. Make smears on the paper for fan coral. Make squiggles over half a blown up balloon and when it's dry in a few minutes, slowly let out the air and you have brain coral! You can also make smears on bubble wrap for an interesting texture. So many ideas, the possibilities for what you can do are endless."

Thanks for the tips, Sheree and Dolfinluck! I'll def. be looking into your sugguestions, as well!

And Rachel....yes! If it comes down to it and nothing else works out, I TOTALLY forgot (silly me!) that she could just pipe the "coral" onto the cake itself, add more seashells and starfish to the top of the cake, and it might still look pretty darn good afterall! Way to be thinking on your toes, girlie! wink.gif