Canadian Newbies !

imajoseph

We are going to Dreams Tulum in November from Edmonton, Calgary, Halifax and Toronto :) I'm super excited for our wedding but also just to have so much family together for a whole week!!!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by jennMc View Post

Hi

Booked Riu Ocho Rios about two months ago for next May...date May 14, 2014 on the beach :) can't wait....I also can't wait for my friends and family to finally start putting down their deposits...my TA did warn me that everyone does wait until the last week and she wasn't kidding...we asked for quotes between $1200-1500 a lot of people were taken back by the price we ended up with but I think people also forget its a week away....either way I can't wait...we are also doing a cocktail reception back at home in June...anyone else doing a at home reception?

Yes, there are lots of brides doing at home receptions. I am having a full one (like a regular reception almost, thought that originally was not the intent...) a month after our return. 

Now it is all getting close!

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

Quote:

Hi

Booked Riu Ocho Rios about two months ago for next May...date May 14, 2014 on the beach :) can't wait....I also can't wait for my friends and family to finally start putting down their deposits...my TA did warn me that everyone does wait until the last week and she wasn't kidding...we asked for quotes between $1200-1500 a lot of people were taken back by the price we ended up with but I think people also forget its a week away....either way I can't wait...we are also doing a cocktail reception back at home in June...anyone else doing a at home reception?

Yes, there are lots of brides doing at home receptions. I am having a full one (like a regular reception almost, thought that originally was not the intent...) a month after our return. 

care!

Now it is all getting close!

We will be having an at home reception too. FI's parents want to throw it for us, so it's going to be a bit more than we were expecting as well... but it is what it is! So long as our wedding ir gorgeous, I don't really care!

Originally Posted by hezmshaw View Post

We are going to Dreams Tulum in November from Edmonton, Calgary, Halifax and Toronto :) I'm super excited for our wedding but also just to have so much family together for a whole week!!!

Hahah we have very similar flights lol! My fam is in NB, and the rest  of the guests are flying from Edm and Calgary pretty much :)

Originally Posted by Jenny2014 View Post

We will be having an at home reception too. FI's parents want to throw it for us, so it's going to be a bit more than we were expecting as well... but it is what it is! So long as our wedding ir gorgeous, I don't really care!

Wow that's kinda nice the FI's parent want to throw you guys a reception...I wish we have to do all the planning for both - already have the location locked down just have to come up with the deposit next it'll be food and DJ...then invitations and decorations...

Quote:

Wow that's kinda nice the FI's parent want to throw you guys a reception...I wish we have to do all the planning for both - already have the location locked down just have to come up with the deposit next it'll be food and DJ...then invitations and decorations...

Yeah... they want to throw it for us... but we will have to organize it all and help put money towards it..... I'm not even going to start thinking about that until next year..... hopefully, if I put it off..... we can just have the small BBQ we want..... LOL

Quote:

AND..... I am a Jenn Mc too! hahahahaha McCallum to be exact hahaha....

Originally Posted by MrsShoreytobe View Post

Hahah we have very similar flights lol! My fam is in NB, and the rest  of the guests are flying from Edm and Calgary pretty much :)

There are only 14 of us, and we are flying from three airports... Calgary, Edmonton and Virginia (not sure what city)... all meeting in Toronto, then going from there. You would think with such a small group we would all be from the same airport!

Originally Posted by triumphbliss View Post

That is so awesome that your agent was able to do a site visit! Are you able to tell me what made you choose the Sunset Gazebo? I've been going back and forth trying to figure out the best one to have our ceremony in! Its so hard when you are not there or you havent been there to really sort everything out and make the best decisions.

We've also been second guessing the dinner at an a la carte restaurant and private beach reception after because we havent been able to find much feedback on the private beach reception. We are thinking we might switch to the chill out lounge as well! Ahh.. I'm so bad at making decisions when I cant wrap my head around all the details in person.

We are going to be flying out of Toronto - Pearson International. How about you?

We were hesitant on March 15 being the final RSVP date, but at the same time we realized how much will have to get done in the 3 months after we have our final numbers so we decided it was OK. The final payments for our group travel are on April 26th so we figured by March 15 most people will know if they are coming or not (hopefully!) 50 is a great number!!

Are you doing the Jr Suites or Swim Up rooms?

Have you gone dress shopping yet?

Hey VeronicaS and triumphbliss, congratulations on your engagement. Are you getting married at the Grand Sunset/Riviera Princess? I saw "Chill out Lounge" and I am assuming so =)

I would recommend booking either a regular Junior suite, Platinum section if you want to be closer to the beach, and the Laguna Villa suites if you want to really feel like luxury! I was there a few years ago, had booked the swim out suites, but go a free upgrade when we check in because the hotel was at a very low capacity. So glad we did not book the swim out, they're not very private and there is always gunk floating around in the pool.

The Platinum suites are nice, has their own pool and lounge area, and super close to the beach!

And what you said about the beach ceremony is very true, its not private at all and very easy for others (not part of the wedding) to just watch or be in the background.

Good luck and happy planning ladies!

-Jill Tran

That's exactly what we're doing! I don't really want to but his grandparents won't be able to come so it will be nice for them. Plus... not gonna lie, I won't turn down a second chance to wear my dress! cheesy.gif