How do I make sure my hair & makeup will be good??

I apologize if this has already been asked!

In general, I'm very low maintenance when it comes to hair and makeup. I'm not really sure how to do makeup very well (my mom was sick & passed away when I was a teenager so I didn't get much help in these departments). I usually don't mess with it much besides very basic hair/makeup items.

I'm getting married in Puerto Vallarta at RIU Palace Pacifico in October. I know they say I have makeup & hair included in the package but who do they have doing it? Is it people who will make me look tacky or weird? Has anyone had experience with, or seen pictures from, weddings at a resort where they provide hair & makeup service?

I wish I could bring along my own stylist, but our budget wouldn't allow me to spend that kind of money on hair and makeup.

I'll have some girl friends there who are better than me at "beautification," but only slightly. :) (My most stylish, beauty-oriented friend had too much makeup on at her wedding and her face looked lighter than the rest of her body!).

Do I need to look into which individual at the resort to have do my hair/makeup? Do they offer options or is there just one person at the resort who does it? Should I look into people in the area rather than the hotel people?

It's just really important to me to look good on this day but I feel like I'm going into this blind! Anyone else deal with these questions? Or know all the answers? :)

Is there any way you can find out exactly who would be doing your hair & makeup and speak to them? I'm getting married on a cruise so I'm not sure how the resorts work. Is it in your budget to take a makeup lesson before you leave? Some of the spa's around here offer makeup application lessons. Maybe they do that where you live. I don't know a thing about makeup so if I wasn't having my hair & makeup done before we got to the port (the wedding will take place before the ship sails), I would totally save the money I'm spending on that and take the lesson so I could do my own makeup.

hi ann e.

i would ask your wedding coordinator to ask the spa that will be doing your hair to give you some pictures. It is also highly encouraged to have pictures of hairstyles you are interested. You may want to go to a hairdresser where you live and do a trial and then take the pictures with you to the resort. the resorts are usually very experience in doing hair and make up for weddings as it is part of the business. There is a thread on here on'post your hairstyles" something like that. check it out, it certainly helped me get ideas.

First, you look beautiful in your avatar so thankfully I doubt you need much help. I think you could do a couple of things- look up some inspiration pictures and go to MAC. Get them to do your makeup. They will give you directions on paper- like they have face print outs that they use make up to apply so you can visually see what they did. You can then purchase that makeup if you like it and take pictures. If you feel uncomfortable applying it yourself, take your directions and new makeup to the person at your resort. They should be able to replicate if they have skills. Or practice, practice, practice from now until then so you can get it right and don't have to hire anyone.

I wouldn't do a ton of makeup if you don't wear it normally. You want to look like you... and if you aren't a totally glamour girl, then it might be startling to you.

As for hair, bring lots of inspiration pics. If you don't like it, have them tweak what you don't like. Just give yourself plenty of time to get ready.

what i am doing is going to go to MAC to get a consultation, get them to write down whatever they used on me and how like the other BDW bride advised and also watch a few youtube tutorials and keep practising. I was going to get it done professionally but I think i will just do it myself with the help of my bridesmaids. Good luck with what you choose to do!

i would go to sephora or clinique or a place like that and have them do your make-up for a wedding (maybe show them a pic from a magazine). take pics of your make-up trials and that way you can show those to the stylist in Puerto Vallarta. I speak spanish, but i've heard that a lot gets lost in translation, so pics are essential when getting your vision across. do the same with your hair too.

since you are used to light make-up, it might seem like they are going too heavy, but remember that you'll be all dressed up and you'll want the make-up to look good in pics, so it's got to be a little heavier than usual...you should look like yourself, natural but polished. good luck :)

Definitely agree with pinayflava and carolina24 - go get some makeup put on, just so you can get used to having it put on, and you can see what you like and don't like - even just black eyeliner vs brown can be a big difference - and also that you will need it heavier than you're used to for the pictures. I also brought my own waterproof eyeliner and mascara for the makeup artist to use since i'm a cry-er...it definitely kept my eyes from running!

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto! I'm not a big makeup wearer either & the most complicated thing I can do with my own hair is a ponytail - lol! I was just in a wedding & I had a friend who is a make-up artist give me some good lessons beforehand. I plan to do the same thing with her again for my 'beach wedding look.'

I am in the same boat as you are, I don't really wear much makeup. I am having a friend do it but she is a semi makeup artist in town! But she still wants me to pick out stuff and I have no idea.

I feel the other brides on here have had great experiences with make up and hair stylists at the resorts. They have even done trial runs to test out the looks.

Good luck lady.